+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my Korean wife for permanent residency

ctcruiser

Star Member
May 25, 2014
CaNZ, I was thinking Piegan would be the closest for me to get to from here, and it's one of the bigger ones which I thought might better to do a landing at.

CT

CanNZ

Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-13
AOR Received.
10-07-13
File Transfer...
22-07-13
Med's Request
Sent with app.
Med's Done....
14-06-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2015
LANDED..........
07-03-2015
is that open year round though? Also, can you do the landing there? might be best to call them first and ask.

NRSY

Star Member
Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2016
AOR Received.
02-03-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Hello!
First of all, congrats CanNZ!

I have a few questions/need some advice. My boyfriend and I are trying to figure out our future/decide what to do in the next year. I have applied to and have gotten accepted to school (for a master program) in Canada starting in September and I obviously really want him to come also. We have been together a few years now and have been talking about marriage. Our plan was that I would go back to Canada and go to school and he could come to Canada on a Working holiday visa and we could hopefully live together for a year then either get married or apply as common law for PR. That would be in a perfect world I guess. The application for WHV opened this morning and we failed to get a spot (2000/4000 spots opened today and another 2000 will open some time later..maybe in a few months). Im not sure how as I had the whole english application filled out and pressed complete within 3 minutes of the opening time.. i guess 2000 koreans beat me to it.. anyways, thats besides the point. I have looked into other types of visas for him but it doesnt seem like he can really apply for any of them/any of them relate to him.

The reason that we decided to maybe hold off and get married later on in a year and a half or so is because he wanted to have a more stable job and we wanted to be more financially ready to settle down. I know this has probably been answered.. but does it look bad if we were to just go to the embassy and sign a paper and explain that we dont want to have a wedding for financial reasons? would that raise a red flag with immigration? or does it not matter since we could prove our relationship in other ways (photos, chats, vacations together, him coming to canada to meet my family, etc.. )

Would it look bad on an application to sponsor him that I am beginning a 2 year masters program full time and would only be able to have part time jobs? I have more than enough money saved that could support us both and he could work also.

Also, i noticed on the CIC website that there is a new thing starting in Dec. 2014 where inland applicants can get a work visa to canada when they apply for PR through common law or spouse sponsorship. Does anyone have any experience or more info with that? I guess the bad thing there would be that it would have to be an inland application which takes much longer than outland.

Also, we have been living together for about a year now, which in a few months we could have applied as common law i guess.. but the problem is that we never thought about it before and although we have been living together its hard to prove since he kept has always kept his address at his parents house and we have been staying together at the houses provided by my job so we dont really have a rental agreement or contract.

Any advice, input, suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
CanNZ said:
still waiting for the COPR, hopefully it didn't get lost in the mail like my first option-c print out did.

CT Cruiser, which crossing are you going to?
If you don't have it by the beginning of next week I'd call the MP again to see if they can find out which address it was sent to and perhaps the tracking number. CIC sent my wife's COPR to the wrong address and I had to track it down and pick it up at the DHL airport office because it was undeliverable.

ctcruiser

Star Member
May 25, 2014
CaNZ, after looking it up a bit more, it sounds like Carway is the best bet for doing the landing. I'll have to find out if there are any hour restrictions for when they will do the landing. Hopefully plan to go down on a Saturday.

CT

CanNZ

Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-13
AOR Received.
10-07-13
File Transfer...
22-07-13
Med's Request
Sent with app.
Med's Done....
14-06-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2015
LANDED..........
07-03-2015
I am thinking this one might be our best bet, it is south east of Lethbridge

Canada Border Svc
Coutts, AB T0K 0N0

Canada

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NRSY said:
The reason that we decided to maybe hold off and get married later on in a year and a half or so is because he wanted to have a more stable job and we wanted to be more financially ready to settle down. I know this has probably been answered.. but does it look bad if we were to just go to the embassy and sign a paper and explain that we dont want to have a wedding for financial reasons? would that raise a red flag with immigration? or does it not matter since we could prove our relationship in other ways (photos, chats, vacations together, him coming to canada to meet my family, etc.. )
My husband and I went to city hall in Korea and signed marriage registration form and that was all. no wedding ceremony, no honey moon, no pictures etc.
I explained that we wanna save money for future and both of us do not like having big wedding etc.
if you explain the reason well and show enough evidence of your relationship , it wouldn't be much concern.

NRSY said:
Would it look bad on an application to sponsor him that I am beginning a 2 year masters program full time and would only be able to have part time jobs? I have more than enough money saved that could support us both and he could work also.
As far as i know, sponsor's financial ability is not concerned. My husband did not have a job and we did not have enough saving. but he is approved as sponsor without any problem.

NRSY said:
Also, we have been living together for about a year now, which in a few months we could have applied as common law i guess.. but the problem is that we never thought about it before and although we have been living together its hard to prove since he kept has always kept his address at his parents house and we have been staying together at the houses provided by my job so we dont really have a rental agreement or contract.
what about his phone bill address? beside rental contract, does he change his billing address to yours? if so, it might help.
and maybe letters from friends and family would be helpful.

hope it helps, and if my answer is wrong, anyone correct me.

NRSY

Star Member
Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2016
AOR Received.
02-03-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
floomy said:
My husband and I went to city hall in Korea and signed marriage registration form and that was all. no wedding ceremony, no honey moon, no pictures etc.
I explained that we wanna save money for future and both of us do not like having big wedding etc.
if you explain the reason well and show enough evidence of your relationship , it wouldn't be much concern.

As far as i know, sponsor's financial ability is not concerned. My husband did not have a job and we did not have enough saving. but he is approved as sponsor without any problem.

what about his phone bill address? beside rental contract, does he change his billing address to yours? if so, it might help.
and maybe letters from friends and family would be helpful.

hope it helps, and if my answer is wrong, anyone correct me.
Thank you for the input / help! I really appreciate it.
We would definitely be able to prove everything.

Thanks! Happy to know others have been approved with a similar situation

CanNZ

Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-13
AOR Received.
10-07-13
File Transfer...
22-07-13
Med's Request
Sent with app.
Med's Done....
14-06-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2015
LANDED..........
07-03-2015
COPR came in the mail, tonight!

Got her on the VISA Waiver program, now it is just decide which border crossing to go to!

amjad1002

Oct 4, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila phip
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2013
Doc's Request.
07-05-2014
AOR Received.
30-08-2013
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
10-09-2013
Med's Request
already sent
Med's Done....
11-08-2013 and redo 08-02-2015
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
02-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
3 Feb 2016

CanAsian

Star Member
Jun 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2013
Doc's Request.
26-05-2014
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
10-10-2013
Med's Done....
21-06-2013
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
14-06-2014
CanNZ said:
COPR came in the mail, tonight!

Got her on the VISA Waiver program, now it is just decide which border crossing to go to!
We went to the Carway border crossing and it was pretty fast. Not busy when we got there and we were in and out in under 30 min. We left Calgary around 7 or 8 I think. American border guys were pretty nice too.

ctcruiser

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Congrats CaNZ! Glad it's all coming to a end for you in this process. Let me know how the flagpole goes. Hoping out paperwork shows up in a couple weeks too.

CT

CanNZ

Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-13
AOR Received.
10-07-13
File Transfer...
22-07-13
Med's Request
Sent with app.
Med's Done....
14-06-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2015
LANDED..........
07-03-2015
So guys, just want to make sure, for our landing bring the following:

For my wife:

Passport
COPR

what else?

I am obviously bringing my passport, citizenship card(citizen by decent) and our marriage license (original copy)

Van Rooster

Jan 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
11-04-2015
Med's Request
sent with app
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
18-05-2015
LANDED..........
22-06-2015
Congrats CanNZ. I hope our experience is more reflective of ctcruisers! No offense;)

NRSY said:
Our plan was that I would go back to Canada and go to school and he could come to Canada on a Working holiday visa and we could hopefully live together for a year then either get married or apply as common law for PR. That would be in a perfect world I guess. The application for WHV opened this morning and we failed to get a spot (2000/4000 spots opened today and another 2000 will open some time later..maybe in a few months).

Also, i noticed on the CIC website that there is a new thing starting in Dec. 2014 where inland applicants can get a work visa to canada when they apply for PR through common law or spouse sponsorship. Does anyone have any experience or more info with that? I guess the bad thing there would be that it would have to be an inland application which takes much longer than outland.
-My wife got the WHV on the 4th try. It's insanely competitive. People pay agencies to fill it in for them. You have the application done and saved in your account so it should be even faster next time to get it sent.

-Sponsoring your boyfriend (husband) shouldn't matter if you're a student. You don't have to show proof of income. You can always get letters from parents offering housing/financial support if you apply outland.

-Inland apps can apply for an open work permit. Currently it's just a one year pilot program.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/good-news-good-news-t259594.0.html

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
CanNZ said:
For my wife:

Passport
COPR

what else?
Just a completed B4 goods-to-follow form, if she intends to import anything from Korea later on. If she isn't shipping anything later, then just passport + COPR is all she needs.

I am obviously bringing my passport, citizenship card(citizen by decent) and our marriage license (original copy)
Citizenship info and marriage certificate is not required. All you need is your passport to get through US and Canada borders. She could even do the landing without you if she wanted!