Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
m77m7 said:
I'm hearing 100 pages is good? thoughts?
We submitted 0. No communication proofs. But then we were common-law at the time so I just explained we lived together so didn't need to communicate any other way.

Proof of communication is only really a concern in long-distance relationships. For this I would just include a couple snapshots of various communications for each month of the relationship starting from the beginning.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
m77m7 said:
I saw the convo about the police check having or not having the lapsed records and I'm happy to see that we have the correct one. We were in Korea in August 2014 and the police station she went to near Gwanghamun now offers an english version, I guess this is a routine request now since they gave her the lapsed records check without specifically pointing it out.
Be careful about the police check. I understand that the KPS now offers the old check you get while you wait and the newer English one that takes some time to receive. It's not clear that Manila is aware of that yet so you'd be well advised to submit both.

Now that I'm almost done my application, I'm wondering what is a nice number to have in terms of communications history (skype, text, emails). I have literally over 300 pages in pdf and I'm pretty sure that would be too much to read. I'm hearing 100 pages is good? thoughts?
100 pages seems like enough to cover all the bases. 300 sounds on the high side to me, but it really depends on your own individual situation.

ctcruiser

Star Member
May 25, 2014
The amount of communication you need really depends on your situation. I sent in about 40 pictures with captions of dates and places, as well as event tickets etc. I also sent about 3 pages that included snippets of about 14 different text conversations, some of which coincided with the event tickets and pictures I included. They would need much more communication if you lacked picture evidence or lived long distance for a significant amount of time. In our case, we lived relatively close together and dated for 1 year, and then had wedding pictures that included her family from this May(we applied in July).

Hope that gives you an idea. I would agree with what some others have stated before that you don't need to overdo it. I'm not sure a VO would read 100 pages of text messages unless it was the bulk of your proof. Choose important ones that prove plans together and suggest that you have been joining your lives together.

CT

m77m7

Sep 30, 2014
Thanks everyone. I think I'm just having difficulty picking and choosing. I lost some of my history/logs after replacing my phone twice and computer/hard drive twice, so there are gaps. Also, we used OTO between Korea and Canada (app that allows free calls) so a lot of communication isn't saved. I feel if I try to explain it, it'll sound like I'm trying to cover something up - I'm sure they've read every excuse under the sun and it seems CIC assumes you're a fraud until proven innocent.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
m77m7 said:
Thanks everyone. I think I'm just having difficulty picking and choosing. I lost some of my history/logs after replacing my phone twice and computer/hard drive twice, so there are gaps. Also, we used OTO between Korea and Canada (app that allows free calls) so a lot of communication isn't saved. I feel if I try to explain it, it'll sound like I'm trying to cover something up - I'm sure they've read every excuse under the sun and it seems CIC assumes you're a fraud until proven innocent.
Maybe I missed this in a previous post. Are you married or common law?

amjad1002

Oct 4, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila phip
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2013
Doc's Request.
07-05-2014
AOR Received.
30-08-2013
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
10-09-2013
Med's Request
already sent
Med's Done....
11-08-2013 and redo 08-02-2015
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
02-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
3 Feb 2016
CanNZ said:
I am thinking just saying one of the offices in Canada, tbh.

Also, how are you dealing with the "option C" issue from Canada Revenue Agency.? I think I will just not do it as I have not lived in Canada in over 10 years but am wondering how to deal with that one.
My wife is working in Korea and she just submit her tax return and then she get her option C through mail from Canada.

m77m7

Sep 30, 2014
bartjones said:
Maybe I missed this in a previous post. Are you married or common law?
Married in Korea so I have a Korea marriage cert and of course a translated copy. This is a good segway to another question.

In Appendix A, it asks for many of the spouse documents in a different order - one of them being the marriage certificate.

However, for the sponsor's documents, it's not in Appendix A, so I went to the normal checklist - this also asks for marriage certificate. Did you guys just provide the original translation copy in the spouse/applicant section, and a copy of the translation in the sponsor's section?

"Original translation" meaning the original notarized stamp with the translation.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
m77m7 said:
Married in Korea so I have a Korea marriage cert and of course a translated copy. This is a good segway to another question.
If you are married I wouldn't worry too much about providing a lot of chat records/emails detailing the period before your marriage. It's not as important as things like details surrounding your wedding/wedding photos etc. I provided zero documents regarding the period before our marriage, other than photos showing us together during that time.
In Appendix A, it asks for many of the spouse documents in a different order - one of them being the marriage certificate.

However, for the sponsor's documents, it's not in Appendix A, so I went to the normal checklist - this also asks for marriage certificate. Did you guys just provide the original translation copy in the spouse/applicant section, and a copy of the translation in the sponsor's section?

"Original translation" meaning the original notarized stamp with the translation.

I think there has always been some debate about what constitutes a "Marriage Certificate" in Korea.

I suspect that shortly after you were married you registered your marriage at the gu office and the Canadian Embassy. You probably received something, written in English, that I seem to recall was entitled "Marriage Certificate" at that time and perhaps also an attached "Affidavit of Marriage". You should probably submit a photocopy of that.

My Korean wife maintains however that this is not what Koreans consider a "Marriage Certificate". She says that a Marriage Certificate in Korea is actually the "Marriage Relation Certificate" that you will see listed in the Korea specific documents checklist and that you get at the gu office. You will want to include one original copy of that, translated and notarized. Just because the same document appears in both checklists doesn't mean you need to provide it twice.

I hope that answers your question.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
bartjones said:
I suspect that shortly after you were married you registered your marriage at the gu office and the Canadian Embassy. You probably received something, written in English,that I seem to recall was entitled "Marriage Certificate" at that time and perhaps also an attached "Affidavit of Marriage". You should probably submit a photocopy of that.
We never got any marriage certificate from the Canadian Embassy after getting married in Korea last year. The only involvement from the Embassy, was the declaration of being single that I got before the registering of the marriage at Korean gu office.

All we have for a marriage certificate is the Korean printout from the gu office. As far as I know, this is the only official marriage doc required (along with translation to english). In general (not just for immigration but for anything) there is no need to "register" any foreign marriage with Canada as any place will accept the translated foreign marriage cert as proof.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Rob_TO said:
We never got any marriage certificate from the Canadian Embassy after getting married in Korea last year. The only involvement from the Embassy, was the declaration of being single that I got before the registering of the marriage at Korean gu office.
Maybe the process has changed and quite frankly, we did it nine years ago, so my recollection may be faulty. What I recall is that we got the declaration that I was single at the embassy, took that to the gu office and registered there. They provided us with a document. We then took that document back to the embassy and obtained a "Certificate of Marriage" stamped by the embassy, along with some kind of affidavit. I know we made two trips to the embassy, because by the time we went back the second time, they had closed for lunch and we had to wait until they came back to complete the process. I still have that two page document at home. Maybe they have simplified the process since then.

In any case, if the OP has that document I would suggest including it.

All we have for a marriage certificate is the Korean printout from the gu office. As far as I know, this is the only official marriage doc required (along with translation to english). In general (not just for immigration but for anything) there is no need to "register" any foreign marriage with Canada as any place will accept the translated foreign marriage cert as proof.

Are you talking about the "Marriage Relation Certificate"? As I said, my wife has always maintained that this is what Koreans consider a "Marriage Certificate".

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
bartjones said:
Maybe the process has changed and quite frankly, we did it nine years ago, so my recollection may be faulty. What I recall is that we got the declaration that I was single at the embassy, took that to the gu office and registered there. They provided us with a document. We then took that document back to the embassy and obtained a "Certificate of Marriage" stamped by the embassy, along with some kind of affidavit. I know we made two trips to the embassy, because by the time we went back the second time, they had closed for lunch and we had to wait until they came back to complete the process. I still have that two page document at home. Maybe they have simplified the process since then.

In any case, if the OP has that document I would suggest including it.
Here is the current steps needed: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/korea-coree/consular_services_consulaires/marriage-mariage.aspx?lang=eng

So these days I don't think there is any reason to go back to the embassy a 2nd time.

Are you talking about the "Marriage Relation Certificate"? As I said, my wife has always maintained that this is what Koreans consider a "Marriage Certificate".
There are 2 documents. One is the marriage relation/family register one. The other one is called something like "proof/verification of marriage" which is also got from the Korean government office. It just has the very basic info like names, birthdays, date of marriage registration, etc. It's a very unofficial looking form that can just be printed from any computer... no signatures, seals, stamps, etc. Just a barcode that I guess a Korean office could scan. Anyways I believe this form (translated to english) acts as the official marriage certificate to anyone that wants it in Canada, and both forms should be submitted with PR app.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Rob_TO said:
Here is the current steps needed: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/korea-coree/consular_services_consulaires/marriage-mariage.aspx?lang=eng

So these days I don't think there is any reason to go back to the embassy a 2nd time.
Yes, the process must have changed. It was definitely a three step process for us. We went to the embassy twice and received a document from them that was very official looking.

There are 2 documents. One is the marriage relation/family register one. The other one is called something like "proof/verification of marriage" which is also got from the Korean government office. It just has the very basic info like names, birthdays, date of marriage registration, etc. It's a very unofficial looking form that can just be printed from any computer... no signatures, seals, stamps, etc. Just a barcode that I guess a Korean office could scan. Anyways I believe this form (translated to english) acts as the official marriage certificate to anyone that wants it in Canada, and both forms should be submitted with PR app.
That's new to me. We never got the "proof/verification of marriage", or any document of that nature from the Korean government office.

m77m7

Sep 30, 2014
Yup, so I think my process was a bit different.

I went to the embassy, signed some papers and paid up - took that doc to the gu office and handed it in with the other paper work to get the marriage certificate. You need to translate the paper into Korean (no need for a certified translation) before giving it to the gu office. One week later, you pick up the "marriage relation certificate" and you'll also see that you as the spouse are added to the family relation doc too. The funny thing is, the affadavit from the embassy is $50 CAD and nothing or not much needs to be paid at the gu office. This beats the price of a marriage license in Canada at roughly 1/3 of the cost :)

My confusion is really about how to organize all the docs/evidence because there are 2 checklists:
Appendix A - covers the spouse docs and evidence, nothing about sponsor's IMM forms
IMM 5491 - covers everything including the sponsor's docs. (/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5491E.pdf), but in the docs, they say to provide evidence on separate paper. If you add the extra evidence after the IMM form (and label it as evidence for the IMM form), then it breaks the "bundling" and order of Appendix A.

Both of these checklists have things in different orders so it's really confusing how to organize it

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
m77m7 said:
My confusion is really about how to organize all the docs/evidence because there are 2 checklists:
Appendix A - covers the spouse docs and evidence, nothing about sponsor's IMM forms
IMM 5491 - covers everything including the sponsor's docs. (/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5491E.pdf), but in the docs, they say to provide evidence on separate paper. If you add the extra evidence after the IMM form (and label it as evidence for the IMM form), then it breaks the "bundling" and order of Appendix A.

Both of these checklists have things in different orders so it's really confusing how to organize it
There are any number of ways to organize the application. The most important thing is to include all of the required documents.

This is certainly not the only way to do it but one of the more common ways to do it is as follows. Get 3 manila envelopes and label them as follows

Envelope 1. Sponsor's Application and Supporting Documents.

In this envelope you will include all of the sponsor's forms as well as the documents the sponsor is required to submit, as listed on IMM 5491. If you want to provide additional documentation over and above what the document checklist requires (e.g. letters from family indicating that you plan to return to Canada, job offers, leases, etc.) you can include them here.

If you want to provide additional explanations for any of the questions asked in the sponsor's forms, you can also include a covering letter here explaining all of that information.

Envelope 2. Principal Applicant's Application and Supporting Documents

In this envelope you will include all of the principal applicant's forms as well as the documents the principal applicant is required to submit as listed on IMM5491 or Appendix A in the Country Specific Guide. If the principal applicant has additional documents they wish to include over and above what is required in the document checklist or Appendix A in the country specific guide, you can include them here.

If the principal applicant wants to provide additional information in response to the questions in the principal applicant's forms, you can include that in a covering letter in this envelope.

Envelope 3. Photos and other Additional Documents

Here you can include your photos and any other documents you want to throw in.

As I said, that's not the only way to do it. In this thread alone, people have done it a number of different ways and been successful. I think the main thing is to be sure you have submitted all of the documents required by the two checklists. If you've done that, no matter how it's organized, CIC seems to be able to figure out the rest.

I wouldn't worry too much about it being somewhat "out of order". CIC will sort it out, if it's all there.

Hope that helps.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello.
I wonder if my application is processing too long or normal compared to others.
I applied outland last nov. 26th (they received my application on that day) and requested from Manila more supporting docs regarding to living in Canada ( it was last july)
I did not pay last $500 fee yet though.
I thought after I send supporting docs they requested , they would ask pay last fee. but no email or news from them.

so I wonder if my processing time takes little bit longer?

p.s I read a lot of fast processing in this forum and make me little bit paranoid and worried.