+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my Korean wife for permanent residency

gongdi

Star Member
Jan 14, 2013
jason_kelly said:
Do you think including my receipts for the citizenship applications is fine as long as I include copies of their Korea passports as well?
If you've already gotten your children's Canadian citizen papers, you can immediately apply for their passports at your nearest Cdn embassy (2 year temporary travel passports if they are under 2 years of age). If your children were born in Korea, you will also need to apply for an "exit visa" as well as their Canadian passports in order to get on the plane. If the system is anything like China's, the exit visa is a bit of a pain in the posterior so I would sort that out as soon as you get your children's passports.

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
jason_kelly said:
I'm in the process of gathering documents now. I have a couple of questions. I have just finished reading all 56 pages of this post and my brain is a little fried so bare with me. I am Canadian, my wife is Korean and we have 2 Kids (I applied for my kids citizenship a month ago, so hopefully will come through by Nov. after which we plan to move to Fredericton,NB right away) Do you think including my receipts for the citizenship applications is fine as long as I include copies of their Korea passports as well?
Also, my wife owned an English school where I was employed. We just sold the school. On the applications should I just put that I was employed or should I put self employed as my wife owned the school. Also, I have not resided in Canada for 13 years, so I'm assuming an Option C form is useless for me. That being said should I just get my wife to write a letter as my employer for the past 4 years and include my last 12 pay stubs? Will that be sufficient in lieu of a Option C?
Thanks
Still call and get option c. Its just a phone call and they mail it to you in korea. I would get a letter from your wife for employment. She is the owner as you said. We applied fir and received our sons can. citizen. cert. before we applied for PR. Not sure if a receipt is enough.

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
gongdi said:
If you've already gotten your children's Canadian citizen papers, you can immediately apply for their passports at your nearest Cdn embassy (2 year temporary travel passports if they are under 2 years of age). If your children were born in Korea, you will also need to apply for an "exit visa" as well as their Canadian passports in order to get on the plane. If the system is anything like China's, the exit visa is a bit of a pain in the posterior so I would sort that out as soon as you get your children's passports.
First i heard about exit visa. Our son has korean and can. passports. My understanding is to use korean one when exiting korea and can. one when entering canada. Maybe since korea is visa exempt.

jason_kelly

Aug 19, 2013
Korea2Canada said:
Still call and get option c. Its just a phone call and they mail it to you in korea. I would get a letter from your wife for employment. She is the owner as you said. We applied fir and received our sons can. citizen. cert. before we applied for PR. Not sure if a receipt is enough.
How can I find out if the receipt is enough?

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
* typing on smartphone re: spelling, etc

jason_kelly

Aug 19, 2013
Korea2Canada said:
We would like to get the application in the mail ASAP, and having to wait another month for in Option C isn't something I'd like to do. Dont' you think the pay stubs would be enough?

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
If your child does not have the proof of Canadian citizenship, all of the following conditions must also be satisfied:
Applicant must present the receipt for submitting the child’s citizenship application
Child must be 2 years old or younger at the time of the passport application submission
Proof of travel or residency requirement must be presented
Either parent’s proof of Canadian citizenship (Canadian birth certificate or Canadian citizenship card)

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/hong_kong/passport_services_passeport/NewChildPassportPremierPasseportEnfant.aspx

I remember the same week our son was born, I applied for his citizenship and passport. The passport took 2 weeks.

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
jason_kelly said:
We would like to get the application in the mail ASAP, and having to wait another month for in Option C isn't something I'd like to do. Dont' you think the pay stubs would be enough?
I was like you but thought option c is listed as a required doc. It may be faster for you now but why risk a delayed application?

I suggest you post your question about childs citiz. appl. doc in main forum to get a faster reply on that.

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
Korea2Canada said:
If your child does not have the proof of Canadian citizenship, all of the following conditions must also be satisfied:
Applicant must present the receipt for submitting the child's citizenship application
Child must be 2 years old or younger at the time of the passport application submission
Proof of travel or residency requirement must be presented
Either parent's proof of Canadian citizenship (Canadian birth certificate or Canadian citizenship card)

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/hong_kong/passport_services_passeport/NewChildPassportPremierPasseportEnfant.aspx

I remember the same week our son was born, I applied for his citizenship and passport. The passport took 2 weeks.
The above is concerning passport.

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
This may help:

"no need to apply her for citizenship in your country. btw, what country are you from? my daughter was born outside of canada, specificallly in Manila, I tried applying her for citizenship in manila before bec I knew she was eligible. unfortunately, it may take up to a yera or year and a half to have it processed in manila and they kept asking me for more docs everytime I went to the embassy. so i got fed up, got my daughter a canadian tourist visa and when we got here i immediately applied for her citizenship. all they asked was a birth cert, an ID, passport photos and I threw in a couple of more docs such as her baptismal cert and school registration just for identity purposes. After a month of processing, I had her citizenship card. "

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/child-born-to-a-canadian-citizen-outside-canada-t61657.120.html

Looks like this person did it without childs citizenship cert.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Korea2Canada said:
First i heard about exit visa. Our son has korean and can. passports. My understanding is to use korean one when exiting korea and can. one when entering canada. Maybe since korea is visa exempt.
A little off topic... but make sure to remember that your son will need to renounce his Korean citizenship before he turns (I think) 18 years old. Anything later than this, and he could be forced to serve his Korean military service if he ever travels to Korea after this age. Also keep an eye on the rules... since you never know when they'll change the age requirement to renounce.

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
Rob_TO said:
A little off topic... but make sure to remember that your son will need to renounce his Korean citizenship before he turns (I think) 18 years old. Anything later than this, and he could be forced to serve his Korean military service if he ever travels to Korea after this age. Also keep an eye on the rules... since you never know when they'll change the age requirement to renounce.
They renounce before 18 then get a F4 visa. Spouses can retain their Korean citizenship and stay on PR vs getting Canada citizenship and renouncing Korean citizenship.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Korea2Canada said:
Spouses can retain their Korean citizenship and stay on PR vs getting Canada citizenship and renouncing Korean citizenship.
Ya my wife will need to make this decision when she becomes eligible to apply for citizenship.

There's several drawbacks i can see to keeping PR indefinitely.
- can never vote
- hassle of renewing every 5 years
- it's not really "permanent". I obviously don't foresee my wife committing a criminal offense that would get her PR revoked, or her living in Korea without me for more than 3 out of 5 years... but you never know. Plus you never know when the government will change PR rules for the worse over our lifetime

I'm not sure what the major drawbacks are for giving up Korean passport.

Anyways I guess we'll decide when the time comes!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Rob_TO said:
I'm not sure what the major drawbacks are for giving up Korean passport.
I know my dad held on to his korean citizenship despite living in the US since the 70s because he would lose some potential inheritance or property or something if he gave it up. I'm sure there are other things like that which have an impact.

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
off topic: What is/are the BEST thing (s) your Korean spouse likes or thinks they will like about living in Canada?

mine:

- fresh air
- more space