+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my Korean wife for permanent residency

jmomcc

Star Member
May 29, 2014
Hi, so as I mentioned before in this thread, my fiance and I don't have a ton of proof that we co-habitate.

We can get a letter from our landlord (i think if we push) but she is pretty reluctant - mostly because of travel to notary. We do have the certificate of alien registration form (외국인등록사실증명서) from immigration for both of us, showing us at the same address for a year and a quarter. Would that be considered as definite proof or do I have to bug my landlord into getting me a notarized letter?

We don't have joint lease etc.

Red Tape Sucks

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Seoul
Category........
Visa Office......
Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 17, 2014
AOR Received.
February 19, 2014
Med's Done....
With application
VISA ISSUED...
July 29, 2014
LANDED..........
August 20, 2014
bartjones said:
Yes, just send a case specific inquiry advising them of your new address. You'll need your file number and /or your partner's UCI number.
I have my UCI, and the file number, but we do not have my wife's UCI number. I have logged into her account, but I can not find it on there either. Any idea where I might be able to find it?

Thanks Bart!

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Red Tape Sucks said:
I have my UCI, and the file number, but we do not have my wife's UCI number. I have logged into her account, but I can not find it on there either. Any idea where I might be able to find it?

Thanks Bart!
If you call the CIC help line and explain your situation, they'll give it to you. It's usually the same as the sponsor's UCI number plus or minus one number on the last digit. So if your UCI number is 12341234, the principal applicant's will be 12341233 or 12341235. Good luck.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jmomcc said:
Hi, so as I mentioned before in this thread, my fiance and I don't have a ton of proof that we co-habitate.

We can get a letter from our landlord (i think if we push) but she is pretty reluctant - mostly because of travel to notary. We do have the certificate of alien registration form (외국인등록사실증명서) from immigration for both of us, showing us at the same address for a year and a quarter. Would that be considered as definite proof or do I have to bug my landlord into getting me a notarized letter?

We don't have joint lease etc.
You don't have to convince us of cohabitation. You need to convince the VO that will be reviewing your file. Unfortunately nobody here can say how little or lots of proof they will demand.

So just get what you can get. Personally I would push for the letter from landlord. Offer to pay for her time/hassle to get it done. Also any other proofs you can think of, make sure to include them all. Including testimony letters from friends/family.

Marticus

Star Member
Dec 16, 2013
Daegu, South Korea
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2014
Doc's Request.
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
13-02-2014
Med's Done....
31-12-2013
Interview........
N/R
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2014
LANDED..........
16-09-2014
Slightly off topic, but what did you guys do about pension before leaving? Some have said that it's better to leave it and it will be applied when I retire, but I know most people take it before they go. My situation is further complicated because I paid it at my old school but my current school doesn't(I know that by law they should, and this has been a contention here for me)

Any suggestions or experiences that can help me out? Or another place to ind reliable info for this? I'm down to my last 3 months in Korea now after being here since 2007.

Ct
Hi Ct,

Collect it! Even if your latest school didn't pay it. You will still be enrolled at your old school - and you can just not mention your new school. I know this because, I swapped over 3 years ago from NPS (the "regular" national pension) onto Private Teacher's Pension (when i started working at a university). I collected the NPS portion last year when I went on vacation for a month. It worked out to about 2.5 million a year (different schools / hagwons have different percentages etc)

Go into any NPS pension office, bring your canadian bank account wire transfer info, your passport, your Korean alien card, a photocopy of your leaving ticket itinerary (expedia or the like will do). It's no big deal for you (besides the fact that you didn't get to collect from your new school) about your new school not paying. NPS workers will only look what you have on file. Bring those 4 things and once you leave the country (they will call the airport to confirm, or so I've heard?) you'll get a nice lump sum into your canadian account about 7 to 10 days later.

ctcruiser

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Thanks a lot Marticus, that's really helpful. I'll definitely do that closer to my leaving date.
On the application topic, I printed all the documents and paid the fees today. Just waiting for my wife's medical appointment and want to fine comb the printed documents one more time.
The barcodes for validated documents I shove move to the front hen organizing them right?
Also, should the date we sign be the same as the date they were validated?
I'm just getting paranoid about last minute things now before finally finishing this step

Ct

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
ctcruiser said:
The barcodes for validated documents I shove move to the front hen organizing them right?
I'm not sure what you mean. The only barcode I recall was the one on the receipt.

Also, should the date we sign be the same as the date they were validated?
It doesn't matter. Just date it the day you sign it.

ctcruiser

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Wow the iPhone autocorrect was pretty bad on my last post. Sorry about that lol.
It's probably really minor, but I was just talking about the forms that have the validate function on them. When you print them, you get 1-2 pages of barcodes that go with the document.

Ct

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
Rob_TO said:
I believe you can send a case-specific email to Manila VO to change address...
For those who want to make a case-specific enquiry, I found this link: https://dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/case-cas-eng.aspx?mission=manila

Red Tape Sucks

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Seoul
Category........
Visa Office......
Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 17, 2014
AOR Received.
February 19, 2014
Med's Done....
With application
VISA ISSUED...
July 29, 2014
LANDED..........
August 20, 2014
For those of you who have asked about medical insurance, we just got ours today. My son and I got 3 months of insurance, which will cover up to 30 million won ($30,000ish) each, for 40,000 won. My wife got the same thing, but she is paying 55,000 won. We got our insurance through LIG. One thing to remember is that if you go above 3 months, you pay a higher premium. My wife was originally going to get 6 months of coverage and it was 150,000, so we decided to just go for 3 months and we can get another policy if needed. If anyone wants the contact for our insurance guy, just let me know. He is a really nice guy and he does speak some English as well.

jmomcc

Star Member
May 29, 2014
Rob_TO said:
You don't have to convince us of cohabitation. You need to convince the VO that will be reviewing your file. Unfortunately nobody here can say how little or lots of proof they will demand.

So just get what you can get. Personally I would push for the letter from landlord. Offer to pay for her time/hassle to get it done. Also any other proofs you can think of, make sure to include them all. Including testimony letters from friends/family.
I ended up asking the landlord very nicely and she offered to re-do the entire lease (i think - theres a language gap). I'm not sure if she can legally do that but she said at least she will write a letter. So I think we are all good.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
ctcruiser said:
Wow the iPhone autocorrect was pretty bad on my last post. Sorry about that lol.
It's probably really minor, but I was just talking about the forms that have the validate function on them. When you print them, you get 1-2 pages of barcodes that go with the document.

Ct
Okay, now I remember what you're talking about. Yes, you can throw those in with the application when you submit it.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
seoulcanada said:
HI all,

Hope everyone is well. We're about 4.5 months into my wifes 6 month visitor permit, and I am getting prepared to ask for extended visitor permit.

Is there anything I should know other than just applying online on the CIC website? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend/visa.asp
I received my extended visitor permit on mail yesterday. They gave me another year.
i mailed my package with all info I could gather- copy of my husband pay stub, copy of emails from CIC regarding to sponsorship and cover letter that explained my situation ( baby) etc.

I mailed application package through Express mail and it was arrived 3 days before my visa is expired.
I took a month to receive new visa.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Red Tape Sucks said:
For those of you who have asked about medical insurance, we just got ours today. My son and I got 3 months of insurance, which will cover up to 30 million won ($30,000ish) each, for 40,000 won. My wife got the same thing, but she is paying 55,000 won. We got our insurance through LIG. One thing to remember is that if you go above 3 months, you pay a higher premium. My wife was originally going to get 6 months of coverage and it was 150,000, so we decided to just go for 3 months and we can get another policy if needed. If anyone wants the contact for our insurance guy, just let me know. He is a really nice guy and he does speak some English as well.
Just keep in mind it could be a hassle to deal with a Korean insurance company, for paying out claims to your address in Canada. Check to make sure they don't expect you to actually return to Korea in order for any claims to be processed.

Usually for people getting insurance for staying in Canada, I recommend this site to compare companies: https://www.kanetix.ca/travel-visitors-to-canada
My wife got a policy with one of these providers with no deductible for somewhere around $50 per month, she ended up using the insurance, and the entire amount was paid to us pretty quickly and with no issues.

Marticus

Star Member
Dec 16, 2013
Daegu, South Korea
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2014
Doc's Request.
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
13-02-2014
Med's Done....
31-12-2013
Interview........
N/R
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2014
LANDED..........
16-09-2014
Hi everyone,

Question along the same lines here, re: Insurance.

I've just had an interview (Skype) back home (Edmonton). I think I have a good shot at landing the position (fingers crossed). The position comes with a comprehensive benefits package. My question is:, if I am lucky enough to land this position, I'll have to leave straight away from Korea (next couple of weeks), and I won't be able to access Alberta Healthcare for 3 months (since I'll have to re-enroll). Does this affect my future employer? Like would I not be hired based on the fact that I won't be eligible to be insured until 90 days after my arrival back to the motherland?

Or, can I work my around this by getting 3 months worth of travel insurance or the like?

This might be a tough one to answer, as it's pretty specific, but any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!