+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my girlfriend from Korea

Michael_James

Jul 12, 2007
Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen. My girlfriend of 6 months lives in South Korea. We would like to be together in person ~ and at this point cannot travel back and forth between Korea and Canada. The only viable option is for me to sponsor her to come to Canada (likely within 5-7 months). Can someone please outline simply, what I should do as far as sponsoring her? I believe we fall under the conjugal partner status, as we cannot go to and from each others country easily ~ but I am not certain. We have supporting documents that show our relationship is serious and a long term commitment. I have a lot of information about this, but would like a simple outline of what is needed, and if I could bring her to Canada ~ and, upon her arrival, what would her status be.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist.

Michael

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
Michael_James said:
Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen. My girlfriend of 6 months lives in South Korea. We would like to be together in person ~ and at this point cannot travel back and forth between Korea and Canada. The only viable option is for me to sponsor her to come to Canada (likely within 5-7 months). Can someone please outline simply, what I should do as far as sponsoring her? I believe we fall under the conjugal partner status, as we cannot go to and from each others country easily ~ but I am not certain. We have supporting documents that show our relationship is serious and a long term commitment. I have a lot of information about this, but would like a simple outline of what is needed, and if I could bring her to Canada ~ and, upon her arrival, what would her status be.

Michael
Hi,

First, start by familiarising yourself with CIC's Applicant Guide.

Here is a link to the CIC Family Sponsorship Guide for sponsoring family from ABROAD in .pdf format:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3900E.pdf

Here is the same link in .html format if this works for you better:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp

How long will the whole process take?:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp

Find time also to browse the CIC website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

When the process is all over and she is successful to come to Canada with you as your conjugal partner, she will be a Permanent Resident (PR) of Canada. Check the CIC website link to find out more about a PR, and how to acquire Citizenship status.

Good Luck!

Warm regards,
Libra.

mgamb094

Jul 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2014
AOR Received.
08-22-2014
File Transfer...
08-22-2014
Med's Done....
16-05-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015
LANDED..........
10-01-2015
bump count

Christoph100

Jun 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-09-2014 Rcvd 27-09-2014, 29-09-2014
AOR Received.
SA :04-09-2014
File Transfer...
04-09-2014 AOR2 09-23-2014
Med's Done....
05-07-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-04-2015 Validity-10-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
16-04-2015
LANDED..........
31-05-2015
Just curious have you been to Korea yet at all ?

M

mikeymyke

Michael_James said:
Hi,

Michael
You do not fall under conjugal because there's no legal impediment for you being together. Just because you or your gf cannot afford to travel back and forth doesn't mean that counts as such an impediment, and thus it won't be grounds for a conjugal application. Also, South Koreans are visa exempt, so they can visit Canada very easily, and Canadians can enter South Korea easily, so that just further drives home the point that you're not eligible for conjugal.