+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my daughter

Retajy

Star Member
May 30, 2018
Hi,

If I got the PR, can I sponsor my daughter who is 17? My son will sponsor me, so I’ll get the PR through him.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

If I got the PR, can I sponsor my daughter who is 17?
As long as you include her in your PR application and she passes the medical, then yes.

Reactions: Retajy

Retajy

Star Member
May 30, 2018
As long as you include her in your PR application and she passes the medical, then yes.
Thank you for your reply.
Even if I am not going to work in Canada? Because I know I have to be working full time in order to sponsor her. And my son is telling me I cannot sponsor anyone if I got the PR through him.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even if I am not going to work in Canada? Because I know I have to be working full time in order to sponsor her. And my son is telling me I cannot sponsor anyone if I got the PR through him.
You don't need to be working but must be living in Canada. You just need to prove that you can provide basic needs to your daughter financially and your daughter is your dependant.

You only need to show that you have enough money to meet the income requirements if:

• you’re sponsoring a dependent child that has 1 or more dependent children of their own

Tell your son to read the website again.

Last edited:
Reactions: ANISH K and Retajy

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So did your son's application get selected in the lottery to sponsor you for PR. If so, your daughter would have been included in the application since she is under 22 and your son has to show he has the income to support his family and yours. Your son is not correct because he would have included her in the application. You don' have to be working to sponsor your daughter as your son takes on responsibility for 20 years and your daughter until she turns 22.

Reactions: YVR123 and Retajy

Retajy

Star Member
May 30, 2018
You don't need to be working but must be living in Canada. You just need to prove that you can provide basic needs to your daughter financially and your daughter is your dependant.

You only need to show that you have enough money to meet the income requirements if:

• you’re sponsoring a dependent child that has 1 or more dependent children of their own

Tell your son to read the website again.
Thank you very much!!

Retajy

Star Member
May 30, 2018
So did your son's application get selected in the lottery to sponsor you for PR. If so, your daughter would have been included in the application since she is under 22 and your son has to show he has the income to support his family and yours. Your son is not correct because he would have included her in the application. You don' have to be working to sponsor your daughter as your son takes on responsibility for 20 years and your daughter until she turns 22.
Thank you very much!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sponsoring a parent is a hard process. You would need to get selected before she turns 22. That isn't guaranteed. Your son need to reach a certain income threshold for 3 years if not in Quebec. The demand for parent sponsorship is much higher than actual spots.

Retajy

Star Member
May 30, 2018
Sponsoring a parent is a hard process. You would need to get selected before she turns 22. That isn't guaranteed. Your son need to reach a certain income threshold for 3 years if not in Quebec. The demand for parent sponsorship is much higher than actual spots.
Thank you. I don’t think it will work out well, because even if she got the PR she will lose it when she turns 22.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you. I don’t think it will work out well, because even if she got the PR she will lose it when she turns 22.
No she won't lose it when she turns 22 but if you only get selected after she is 22 or married she can't be included. How long has your son been working in Canada, does he make over the limit to sponsor all his family members and does he live in Quebec?

Retajy

Star Member
May 30, 2018
No she won't lose it when she turns 22 but if you only get selected after she is 22 or married she can't be included. How long has your son been working in Canada, does he make over the limit to sponsor all his family members and does he live in Quebec?
Yes, he makes over the limit. He doesn’t live in Quebec. I am very happy that you told me she won’t lose the PR if she turns 22. I was going to give it up. My son has been working for only one year but in a highly qualified job.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, he makes over the limit. He doesn’t live in Quebec. I am very happy that you told me she won’t lose the PR if she turns 22. I was going to give it up. My son has been working for only one year but in a highly qualified job.
For your son to be able to sponsor you, he needs to meet minimum Canadian income for 3 years and then be selected in a lottery. How many people in his family and yours? This year’s lottery has not been announced.

Retajy

Star Member
May 30, 2018
For your son to be able to sponsor you, he needs to meet minimum Canadian income for 3 years and then be selected in a lottery. How many people in his family and yours? This year’s lottery has not been announced.
He is single. He will sponsor only me and my daughter. What if she turned 22 during the processing time?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
He is single. He will sponsor only me and my daughter.
So he needs to show 3 years of Canadian income to be eligible to enter the lottery. He has one year you say. If he only has one year of taxed Canadian income, he is not eligible for a couple more years. Also many people are never selected for the lottery or it takes years for their profile to be drawn. You are not married or have other children under 22.

Retajy

Star Member
May 30, 2018
So he needs to show 3 years of Canadian income to be eligible to enter the lottery. He has one year you say. If he only has one year of taxed Canadian income, he is not eligible for a couple more years. Also many people are never selected for the lottery or it takes years for their profile to be drawn. You are not married or have other children under 22.
No, I don’t have other children under 18. I am married but his father is not interested to get the PR. What if she turned 22 during the processing time?