+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring my common-law partner - he is australian

dools

Jun 8, 2010
I am currently sponsoring my common law partner, who is from australia.

We are waiting for first stage approval, which should be coming in the next month or so.
Just wondering if anyone has a similar story, or if anyone has been through this to give us a hint of how things will go.

We dont know anyone who has been through this process, and we are a little worried. Does any one know if it is 'easy'.

It's such a long process, and so many things are dependent on him getting residency. We are just looking for any feedback, or really just looking for someone who is going through the same process to talk to about it.

I

iarblue

If you are applying outland via Sydney the process time is approx. 9 months from the time they get the file.
So you have applied,it takes about 60 days to get first stage approval,they will send you a letter stating if you were approved to sponsor.
If you are approved they will give you a client number for you to use to communicate and check the status online.And they will tell you they have forwarded it to Sydney for the PR process which at that time it will take approx 9 months to be approved.Along the way they will tell you as it progresses or if they want other info.Keep an eye on the emails,mail as they use both to communicate with you.

Now if your doing inland its almost the same other than it will be all processed in Canada.And it takes a bit longer to process.

ChristyandRob

Mar 26, 2010
Nova Scotia, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-03-2010
File Transfer...
23-04-2010
Med's Done....
19-02-2010
Passport Req..
09-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2010
LANDED..........
01-10-2010
Hi there,

I have an Australian passport (although I've lived in Europe for 13 years) and am going through the PR process right now. My boyfriend (Common Law Partner) sponsored me.

The first part (his sponsorship application) was approved within 3 weeks. The file was then transferred to Berlin within a week of that (we live in Germany at present) and is currently in progress. Within a week we got sent back our photos and cards, saying they were no longer needed for the continued processing of our file (which people on this forum said was a good thing).

I think the timeframes are a guideline only and that things can go faster if everything's straightforward. Fingers crosses and touch wood, anyhow!

I wish you the best of luck with your application! :)

dools

Jun 8, 2010
Hi again
We are applying from within canada. So we have send our application to vegreville.
We originally applied in Dec 2009, and have been told we will likely hear in July about our first stage approval.
Thank you for all of your responses, its nice to know others who are going through this process. Keep in touch, and let us know how it goes ChristyandRob
Good luck to you all!!!

ChristyandRob

Mar 26, 2010
Nova Scotia, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-03-2010
File Transfer...
23-04-2010
Med's Done....
19-02-2010
Passport Req..
09-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2010
LANDED..........
01-10-2010
Hi Dools,

We received the passport request letter 2 days ago and I sent my passport off by registered mail yesterday. ;D

Good luck with your application, too :)

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
dools said:
Hi again
We are applying from within canada. So we have send our application to vegreville.
We originally applied in Dec 2009, and have been told we will likely hear in July about our first stage approval.
Thank you for all of your responses, its nice to know others who are going through this process. Keep in touch, and let us know how it goes ChristyandRob
Good luck to you all!!!

I applied Inland 28th September 2009, I got AIP on 27th April 2010 and landed Inland at Vancouver on 20th May 2010.

Using my time line, it appears that you should get AIP in July 2010, depending on where your visa office is located time lines can vary from 4 weeks to months to get the COPR papers.

Hope this helps