+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my aunt

C

cestmoi246

Hello,
I wanted to know if I could sponsor my aunt under family class sponsorship. Here is my situation;

I myself was sponsored by my canadian born wife and now I'm canadian citizen.

My mother died long time ago, I don't have any brother or sister. I sponsored my father in 2005 and was still waiting for his visa but he died last month.

I've been emotionally attached to my aunt and wanted her to join me in canada. Can I sponsor her?...is there a way?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is the clause about sponsoring relatives:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-who.asp#who_can said:
Who can be sponsored

You can sponsor:

* parents
* grandparents
* brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
* another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions (see Note below)
* accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).

Note: you can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Indian Act.
It seems to me that since you have no other relatives you could sponsor and as long as you have no relatives who are Canadian citizens or PR's, then you could sponsor her. I am assuming that your Canadian wife is not considered a relative.

C

cestmoi246

Thanks Leon...I did go through that clause and it does sound like I can sponsor my aunt but then I find the following link and in this one it sounds like I can't.. because I have my spouse who is already canadian citizen

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/family.asp

any other family member if there is no spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, son, daughter, mother, father, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, uncle, aunt, niece or nephew who is a Canadian citizen, registered Indian or permanent resident or whom you may sponsor.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, that one does make it sound like you can't. You can call CIC and ask or talk to an immigration lawyer to make sure.

If you can't go that way but if you live in AB, SK or MB, you can look into the provincial nominee programs there to see if you qualify under their family stream. If that doesn't work, it might be an idea to pull all the strings you can to find your aunt a job offer so she can come over on a work permit and apply for immigration later. How old is she and what is her profession?

C

cestmoi246

Yes I'm going to call CIC...
Unfortunately I live in Ontario and Ontario does not have Family Class nominee program.
She is 44 and is primary school teacher (Grade 1 to 5).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know if there are too many options to immigrate as a primary school teacher. If you can get her a skilled job on a work permit, she could qualify to apply for immigration under Canadian Experience Class after 2 years or if you get her a job as a live-in caregiver for a family you know, even for yourself if you have kids, she could apply also after 2 years.

nunu

Jun 27, 2009
@leon,
hello
plz tell me

what is live-in caregiver means?and what is a procedure to apply for some body as a caretaker for the family?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Live-in caregiver is a person who lives in the house and takes care of children, disabled person or elderly person. The employer has to do things legally, advertise the job to show that nobody else wanted it, pay market wage, write out pay slips and tax forms, withhold taxes and other deductions from the pay.

The live-in caregiver needs to have taken a 6 month course or have at least 1 year experience. Nurses have been allowed to work as live-in caregivers without the course or specific experience.

nunu

Jun 27, 2009
Thanks leon,
plz tell me
what sort of a 6 months course is it?
how can i bring a Live-in caregiver for my kids from my country of origin Pakistan.what would be the requirements /procedure to sponser live in caretaker?
how much time it takes?

plz -plz i would be highly obliged if u plz reply to my last post under the title"how to sponsor my mother".

waiting 4 ur replies.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nunu said:
Thanks leon,
plz tell me
what sort of a 6 months course is it?
how can i bring a Live-in caregiver for my kids from my country of origin Pakistan.what would be the requirements /procedure to sponser live in caretaker?
how much time it takes?

plz -plz i would be highly obliged if u plz reply to my last post under the title"how to sponsor my mother".

waiting 4 ur replies.
You can find all the info about the live-in caregiver program at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/index.asp and special information for employers at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-caregiver.asp You can find information about the course here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/apply-who.asp#training

You do not sponsor a live-in caretaker. You hire them. They work for you for 2 years and then they can apply for an open work permit and PR.

C

cestmoi246

so I called CIC and they told me no I cannot sponsor my aunt...because my Canadian born wife is considered my closest relative now.