+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my American husband

Anne.hoks

Oct 24, 2019
If i am a permanent residence in Canada, can I sponsor my American husband to come to Canada to have a PR status, if I worked for a year already and earning over $25,000/year?!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
And of course, if you were married before you landed as a PR, you must have declared your husband in your application.

Anne.hoks

Oct 24, 2019
Were you common law in the US before you landed in Canada?
I had landed in Canada since 1998, gained a PR status, having lived in Canada for 20 years, travelled to America, met my current husband, stayed (or overstayed) in America for a year & a half, returned to Canada b4 the PR card expired, found a job which offers me more than $25,000/year, so that I can sponsor my husband when he visits me & we’ll get married officially in Canada.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Okay. You're good then.

There is a catch where if you are common-law before you apply for PR or land and don't declare it, you may be blocked from sponsoring him. This doesn't apply to you.

There is also no minimum $25k requirement, you just need to prove you have a plan to support him.

Reactions: Anne.hoks

Anne.hoks

Oct 24, 2019
Okay. You're good then.

There is a catch where if you are common-law before you apply for PR or land and don't declare it, you may be blocked from sponsoring him. This doesn't apply to you.

There is also no minimum $25k requirement, you just need to prove you have a plan to support him.
Ooooh ! I see!
Thank you so much for the valuable information!
XO

Anne.hoks

Oct 24, 2019
Okay. You're good then.

If, I am not working for one full year yet, only on the job for several months, can I still sponor my husband?!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You don't even need to be employed. You just can't be receiving welfare, and you must have a plan to support him over the length of your undertaking.

Reactions: Anne.hoks