+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my American husband

Discussion in 'Permanent Residence in Canada' started by Anne.hoks, Nov 5, 2019.

  1. If i am a permanent residence in Canada, can I sponsor my American husband to come to Canada to have a PR status, if I worked for a year already and earning over $25,000/year?!
  2. Yes.
    Anne.hoks likes this.
  3. You also have to be compliant with your RO.
  4. And of course, if you were married before you landed as a PR, you must have declared your husband in your application.
  5. Pardon me. Would u please tell me what ‘RO’ stands for?!
  6. No We got married by common law in America, and will get married officially in Canada.
  7. Were you common law in the US before you landed in Canada?
  8. Residency obligation.
    Anne.hoks likes this.
  9. I had landed in Canada since 1998, gained a PR status, having lived in Canada for 20 years, travelled to America, met my current husband, stayed (or overstayed) in America for a year & a half, returned to Canada b4 the PR card expired, found a job which offers me more than $25,000/year, so that I can sponsor my husband when he visits me & we’ll get married officially in Canada.
  10. Okay. You're good then.

    There is a catch where if you are common-law before you apply for PR or land and don't declare it, you may be blocked from sponsoring him. This doesn't apply to you.

    There is also no minimum $25k requirement, you just need to prove you have a plan to support him.
    Anne.hoks likes this.
  11. Ooooh ! I see!
    Thank you so much for the valuable information!
  12. If, I am not working for one full year yet, only on the job for several months, can I still sponor my husband?!
  13. Yes.
    Anne.hoks likes this.
  14. You don't even need to be employed. You just can't be receiving welfare, and you must have a plan to support him over the length of your undertaking.
    Anne.hoks likes this.
  15. U’re a fountain of information. Thank you so much!

Share This Page