+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Korean Wife Outland, questions, please help!

jason_kelly

Aug 19, 2013
I'm in the process of gathering documents now. I have a couple of questions. I have just finished reading all 56 pages of this post and my brain is a little fried so bare with me. I am Canadian, my wife is Korean and we have 2 Kids (I applied for my kids citizenship a month ago, so hopefully will come through by Nov. after which we plan to move to Fredericton,NB right away) Do you think including my receipts for the citizenship applications is fine as long as I include copies of their Korea passports as well?
Also, my wife owned an English school where I was employed. We just sold the school. On the applications should I just put that I was employed or should I put self employed as my wife owned the school. Also, I have not resided in Canada for 13 years, so I'm assuming an Option C form is useless for me. That being said should I just get my wife to write a letter as my employer for the past 4 years and include my last 12 pay stubs? Will that be sufficient in lieu of a Option C?
Thanks

gongdi

Star Member
Jan 14, 2013
I responded to your post in the other thread regarding your children's applications. If you've already applied for the Cdn citizen papers for your kids, you can apply for their passports (temp travel passports). These passports look exactly like a normal Cdn passport and are valid for 2 years travel but are only available for children under 4. My daughter has one along with an exit visa and will be ready for immediate light-speed departure the second my wife gets her PR! ;D
If your kids were born in Korea, you may need an exit visa for them, however it is unclear to me whether Korea offers dual citizenship. If not, you may have to 'renounce' it.

gongdi

Star Member
Jan 14, 2013
I see. The longterm passport takes a while to process but the temp ones only about 3 weeks, but someone just reminded on the other thread that Korea is visa exempt, so you probably will have no problems in that case!

jason_kelly

Aug 19, 2013
My problem is that I have to wait orb til November, 2013 before I get my kids citizenship certificates, but I want to apply for sponsorship before that. I am wondering if explaining the situation in my cover letter and including the receipts showing that my application for the kids citizenship are in the process of being done is sufficient. Also, if my kids are Canadian citizens do I need to show proof of income since the only person on my application who is not Canadian is my wife whom I'm going to sponsor?

CanNZ

Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-13
AOR Received.
10-07-13
File Transfer...
22-07-13
Med's Request
Sent with app.
Med's Done....
14-06-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2015
LANDED..........
07-03-2015
If they are classified as non Canadians, I think you will then have to show proof of income. If I remember correctly K2C's kid is Canadian so he did not have to show proof of income.

No offense, but you really screwed up not getting your kids Canadian citizenship earlier.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
jason_kelly said:
My son can get that passport because he's under 4 but my daughter is 7 so she can't:(
Don't worry too much. Use the South Korean passports to board the flight and use the citizenship certificates when you get to the border. Citizenship certificates will be enough.

If you don't have the citizenship certificates by the time you travel, you should explain to the border officer that you've applied for citizenship certificates but haven't received them yet. Also have the kids' birth certificates with you, showing you as the father, possibly with a translation. This should be enough if you were born in Canada.

Here's what CIC Manual ENF 4 says:

9.4. Establishing citizenship without documents

Canadians returning to Canada by air usually have to provide proof of identity and citizenship to
get on the flight. Canadians arriving at land borders, however, will frequently be without
satisfactory documentary proof of Canadian citizenship. In these cases, a BSO should question
the person until they are satisfied of the person’s Canadian citizenship. Once satisfied that the
person is a Canadian, the person must be allowed to enter Canada without further delay.
Obviously this is a bit of an unusual situation, but in theory it should be the same whether at an airport or at a land border.

A point about dual citizenship - getting the citizenship certificates doesn't mean that you are taking any action to make your kids Canadian citizens. All you're doing is getting proof of a status that they already had at birth, and of which they'll need proof once in Canada. Some countries penalize you only if you make "a choice" of another nationality, but it's clear that that's not what's happening here.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
CanNZ said:
No offense, but you really screwed up not getting your kids Canadian citizenship earlier.
I don't agree with this. They were citizens all along, and nothing will change that. This is just getting proof of the citizenship they already have.

The result might be an extra ten minutes at the border the first time they enter Canada.

CanNZ

Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-13
AOR Received.
10-07-13
File Transfer...
22-07-13
Med's Request
Sent with app.
Med's Done....
14-06-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2015
LANDED..........
07-03-2015
frege said:
I don't agree with this. They were citizens all along, and nothing will change that. This is just getting proof of the citizenship they already have.

The result might be an extra ten minutes at the border the first time they enter Canada.
Hope you are right for his sake, but I think it will make his spousal application more complicated.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
jason_kelly said:
My problem is that I have to wait orb til November, 2013 before I get my kids citizenship certificates, but I want to apply for sponsorship before that. I am wondering if explaining the situation in my cover letter and including the receipts showing that my application for the kids citizenship are in the process of being done is sufficient. Also, if my kids are Canadian citizens do I need to show proof of income since the only person on my application who is not Canadian is my wife whom I'm going to sponsor?
You don't need to do anything about your kids. They're Canadian citizens and the VO will see that. List them as dependants in your application, except in the places where it says not to list people who are already PRs or citizens. If you were born in Canada, and you're their father (not through adoption), then they should *not* be applying for PR.

Include birth certificates for your kids along with translations, if only because this is immediate proof of the genuineness of your relationship.

Since you won't have an Option C, include a South Korean tax document showing similar information to the Option C.

CanNZ

Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-13
AOR Received.
10-07-13
File Transfer...
22-07-13
Med's Request
Sent with app.
Med's Done....
14-06-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2015
LANDED..........
07-03-2015
The way I read it, his kids were not born in Canada though. (Sorry misread your post here.)

I have not worked in Canada for 11 years, and I still needed an option C. Option C will also show that he has never been on welfare in Canada which I believe is an issue for CIC.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
CanNZ said:
The way I read it, his kids were not born in Canada though.

I have not worked in Canada for 11 years, and I still needed an option C.
No, I mean if he was born in Canada.

CanNZ

Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-13
AOR Received.
10-07-13
File Transfer...
22-07-13
Med's Request
Sent with app.
Med's Done....
14-06-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2015
LANDED..........
07-03-2015
frege said:
No, I mean if he was born in Canada.
Just edited mine.

jason_kelly

Aug 19, 2013
Why do some people say I need an option C and others don't. I haven't worked in canada for 13 years. I have been working in Korea all that time. When I called Rev Can last night they couldn't understand why I needed an option C after such a long time. Other people said It's only for people who have filed income tax over the past couple of years, which I haven't. I have in Korea so shouldn't I just include my docs from Korea and my employer here? Doesn't make sense to need the option C unless as the above person stated its needed to prove I haven't been on welfare in Canada. Any more advice?

CanNZ

Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-13
AOR Received.
10-07-13
File Transfer...
22-07-13
Med's Request
Sent with app.
Med's Done....
14-06-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2015
LANDED..........
07-03-2015
From what I understand, they also need it to prove that you aren't on welfare too. I have been working in Korea for 11 years, and I still got mine from 2002. Yes you are right, it is such a long time, but it is a required document, I wouldn't risk it.

Believe me, it was a pain to get mine and I wish I didn't have to get it, but I did. I wouldn't take the chance not getting one. The first one I requested got lost in the mail on the way to Korea, so I had to phone them again 4 weeks after requesting the original one and get another one sent to me. It deleayed me sending in my wife's application by about a month, but in the end, I was approved to sponsor her so it was all worth it.