+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Japanese spouse!

beauhoe

Champion Member
May 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are a Canadian or PR, and sponsoring your Japanese spouse. We would like to hearing from you.
Thanks!

faisalmohamed

Star Member
Jul 9, 2015
Brampton
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2015
AOR Received.
14-12-2015
Med's Request
28-12-2016
Med's Done....
01-10-2015
Interview........
28-12-2016 (Phone)
Passport Req..
16-01-2017
LANDED..........
01-05-2017
If I may add,

I think a spousal sponsorship (at least for outland) for a Japanese spouse would seem relatively rare considering that Japanese citizens have visa free access to Canada, and as a result *probably* would do their sponsorships inland. Yes I know there's been a CBC story recently about how our inland process here takes a long time and issues with work permits and etc. but practically speaking, I'm inclined to believe that Japanese spouses would more likely be completing the process inland, assuming the logistics of it all are planned ahead of time.

Nonetheless, maybe this bump will help you find someone who's in the same boat as you, preferably with the same situation (Inland/Outland).

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
It is actually the opposite. Someone who can enter Canada without a visa is better off applying outland (in most cases). Someone who needs a visa to enter Canada, and whose visa office has a very long timeline, is better off applying inland, supposing that he or she can get a TRV in the first place.
A Japanese person will see his or her outland application processed fairly quickly in most cases, and meanwhile the applicant can visit Canada, can apply to extend the stay if wanted, and can leave Canada without jeopardizing the PR application.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadianwoman said:
It is actually the opposite. Someone who can enter Canada without a visa is better off applying outland (in most cases). Someone who needs a visa to enter Canada, and whose visa office has a very long timeline, is better off applying inland, supposing that he or she can get a TRV in the first place.
A Japanese person will see his or her outland application processed fairly quickly in most cases, and meanwhile the applicant can visit Canada, can apply to extend the stay if wanted, and can leave Canada without jeopardizing the PR application.
Exactly so, should be added to spousal applications 101 :)

unkieherb

Sep 2, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2015
AOR Received.
08-07-2015
File Transfer...
06-08-2015
Med's Done....
21-05-2015
Passport Req..
18-08-2015 (Appendix A)
VISA ISSUED...
29-02-2016
beauhoe said:
Anybody sponsoring Japanese spouse?
Cheers,
I am sponsoring my Japanese wife (outland). We mailed in our docs in June; currently in process at Manila.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
beauhoe said:
Anybody sponsoring Japanese spouse?
Cheers,
if you specify your question, you might have more details answers.

beauhoe

Champion Member
May 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
unkieherb said:
I am sponsoring my Japanese wife (outland). We mailed in our docs in June; currently in process at Manila.
Hello unkieherb,
Can you keep me updated? Are you a PR or a Canadian? I would like to start mine on December.
Thanks,

beauhoe

Champion Member
May 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
faisalmohamed said:
If I may add,

I think a spousal sponsorship (at least for outland) for a Japanese spouse would seem relatively rare considering that Japanese citizens have visa free access to Canada, and as a result *probably* would do their sponsorships inland. Yes I know there's been a CBC story recently about how our inland process here takes a long time and issues with work permits and etc. but practically speaking, I'm inclined to believe that Japanese spouses would more likely be completing the process inland, assuming the logistics of it all are planned ahead of time.

Nonetheless, maybe this bump will help you find someone who's in the same boat as you, preferably with the same situation (Inland/Outland).
This is a good idea.
Thanks,

beauhoe

Champion Member
May 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadianwoman said:
I think once my family is in, it is ok if the process takes longer. I just want to have my family under one roof.
Thanks,

surleplateau

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
Doc's Request.
CSQ rqst'd 23-03-2015
Nomination.....
CSQ rcv'd 05-05-2015
AOR Received.
27-02-2015 err?
File Transfer...
09-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-09-2014
Interview........
waived; IP Sep 2015
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 22-10-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016 YAY!!!
beauhoe said:
I think once my family is in, it is ok if the process takes longer. I just want to have my family under one roof.
Thanks,
The risk with an Inland Spousal Sponsorship application is: what if your Japanese spouse has a family emergency in Japan?

Can she leave Canada for a short visit? Yes -- no one will stop her from leaving Canada.

HOWEVER, if she has trouble re-entering Canada or is out of Canada for longer than a few weeks, her INLAND PR app will be thrown out because an Inland application requires the applicant to be IN Canada. But an Inland application does not give her the "right" to enter Canada. Unless she qualifies for her own study/work permit that isn't connected to the PR app, the CBSA at the border has the power to refuse her entry.

beauhoe

Champion Member
May 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
surleplateau said:
The risk with an Inland Spousal Sponsorship application is: what if your Japanese spouse has a family emergency in Japan?

Can she leave Canada for a short visit? Yes -- no one will stop her from leaving Canada.

HOWEVER, if she has trouble re-entering Canada or is out of Canada for longer than a few weeks, her INLAND PR app will be thrown out because an Inland application requires the applicant to be IN Canada. But an Inland application does not give her the "right" to enter Canada. Unless she qualifies for her own study/work permit that isn't connected to the PR app, the CBSA at the border has the power to refuse her entry.
Thank you surleplateau. However, I am trying to be positive to avoid negative energies.
Thanks,

surleplateau

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
Doc's Request.
CSQ rqst'd 23-03-2015
Nomination.....
CSQ rcv'd 05-05-2015
AOR Received.
27-02-2015 err?
File Transfer...
09-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-09-2014
Interview........
waived; IP Sep 2015
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 22-10-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016 YAY!!!
beauhoe said:
Thank you surleplateau. However, I am trying to be positive to avoid negative energies.
If you want to be positive, then why not follow canadianwoman's advice:

Outland for many people (depending on their country, I think Japan is one of them) is much faster and less risky than Inland. Apply for a visa extension (it's quite simple to do, all online, many examples on this board).

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
beauhoe said:
Thanks,
think you know the answer.
your spouse can apply for outland whether she/he is in Canada.

1.your spouse would get more than a year (either stamp or visitor record) by CBSA with proof of outland app.

2. when she/he renew visitor visa after mailed outland app in Canada, still would receive a year or more.
ex. I arrived Canada after I applied for outland, I received a year for my visitor visa extension.

3. your spouse is from visa exempt country.
so either apply for inland/outland, she/he should not have any problem to enter Canada.

beauhoe

Champion Member
May 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
surleplateau said:
If you want to be positive, then why not follow canadianwoman's advice:

Outland for many people (depending on their country, I think Japan is one of them) is much faster and less risky than Inland. Apply for a visa extension (it's quite simple to do, all online, many examples on this board).
I hear you!
Thanks,