+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Husband Inland , how long of a process?

kyeno1

Mar 12, 2017
I'm a PR living in Canada with my husband who is here from the US on a work visa. His visa expires in March, so I need to sponsor him for PR and hoping it won't be too long of a process so he can continue working. How long does the process typically take? I'm also unsure exactly where to go to start the process online.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm a PR living in Canada with my husband who is here from the US on a work visa. His visa expires in March, so I need to sponsor him for PR and hoping it won't be too long of a process so he can continue working. How long does the process typically take? I'm also unsure exactly where to go to start the process online.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
The process takes...as long as it takes. Previously an Outland application (which can be submitted from inside of Canada, even if the primary applicant is in Canada) was always faster. Problem being, most that are in Canada want/need to work ASAP, which is why the Inland application and available OWP is more appealing. Now, it may or may not be the case, but based on what you will find in other threads here, the process will likely take a year, possible a bit more.

Unfortunately, there doesn't really seem to be an accurate `window' of how long that takes, but there are factors that may work to your advantage. One is that you husband appears to be a U.S. citizen. While that does not, in and of itself, mean that the process will be faster, it may be so because you are not sponsoring a spouse from a vastly different culture. This is is no way a slam to those that are, but IRCC may have less concern that your marriage is not genuine. After all, you do still need to provide evidence of not only your legal marriage, but the evolution of, and maintaining of, your relationship. This is certainly less than a common-law couple needs, but the marriage certificate alone is far from sufficient.

Regarding his current WP expiring in March, I don't know if he can apply to extend that or not. If he cannot, he can only apply for the Open Work Permit (OWP) once you have received the all important Acknowlegment of Receipt (AOR) email from IRCC. It seems to take a couple of months to receive the OWP, so since you have not yet submitted the SCPLC (Inland) application, he may be unable to work for several months, if the current WP cannot be extended. One option may be for him to work remoteley from Canada, so long as he is not paid in Canadian funds, from a Canadian source and the employer does not have a presence in Canada.

Good luck!

kyeno1

Mar 12, 2017
The process takes...as long as it takes. Previously an Outland application (which can be submitted from inside of Canada, even if the primary applicant is in Canada) was always faster. Problem being, most that are in Canada want/need to work ASAP, which is why the Inland application and available OWP is more appealing. Now, it may or may not be the case, but based on what you will find in other threads here, the process will likely take a year, possible a bit more.

Unfortunately, there doesn't really seem to be an accurate `window' of how long that takes, but there are factors that may work to your advantage. One is that you husband appears to be a U.S. citizen. While that does not, in and of itself, mean that the process will be faster, it may be so because you are not sponsoring a spouse from a vastly different culture. This is is no way a slam to those that are, but IRCC may have less concern that your marriage is not genuine. After all, you do still need to provide evidence of not only your legal marriage, but the evolution of, and maintaining of, your relationship. This is certainly less than a common-law couple needs, but the marriage certificate alone is far from sufficient.

Regarding his current WP expiring in March, I don't know if he can apply to extend that or not. If he cannot, he can only apply for the Open Work Permit (OWP) once you have received the all important Acknowlegment of Receipt (AOR) email from IRCC. It seems to take a couple of months to receive the OWP, so since you have not yet submitted the SCPLC (Inland) application, he may be unable to work for several months, if the current WP cannot be extended. One option may be for him to work remoteley from Canada, so long as he is not paid in Canadian funds, from a Canadian source and the employer does not have a presence in Canada.

Good luck!

Thanks a bunch for the quick reply. It appears that an OWP may be the best option for us so he can continue working, I don't believe we can extend the visa. We will aim to submit the SCPLC asap. Any idea on how long we can expect that process to take until we can receive the AOR?

Thanks again!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks a bunch for the quick reply. It appears that an OWP may be the best option for us so he can continue working, I don't believe we can extend the visa. We will aim to submit the SCPLC asap. Any idea on how long we can expect that process to take until we can receive the AOR?

Thanks again!
The answer to the AOR question is, unfortunately the same. Some people have reported that the never received AOR!

The OWP will not be available to him before March. It sounds like he will need to stop working after his current work visa expires until he receives the OWP.

Can he work remotely?

kyeno1

Mar 12, 2017
He can possibly work remotely yes. He could if needed take a month or two break from his current position if we could maybe get an OWP by May or so. If the OWP takes a few months to process, how long will the AOR take to be received if we submit the application over the next few days? Or will the application process take a long time in itself before we can receive the AOR?

kyeno1

Mar 12, 2017
Also I had the date wrong, his current visa expires at the end of April, so an extra two months almost.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He can possibly work remotely yes. He could if needed take a month or two break from his current position if we could maybe get an OWP by May or so. If the OWP takes a few months to process, how long will the AOR take to be received if we submit the application over the next few days? Or will the application process take a long time in itself before we can receive the AOR?
Again, nobody really knows for sure. If he cannot extend his current work visa he has no choice but to stop working!

The fact that all Spousal Sponsorship applications now have to be submitted online has only complicated the issue; there have been quite a few people reporting weird errors with the entire online Portal system that mostly appear to be glitches, but...it adds to the delays of the process.

Are you really ready to submit everything in the next few days? Have you read through everything that's needed and fully understand how much is involved...not to mention the `glitch' thing? LOL!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You couldn’t work his current job remotely. He would have to find snother job to work in Canada as a visitor. The employer would have to have no offices in Canada as well as no Canadian clients or customers. Would guess getting OWP may take around 4 months maybe less but there are no guarantees he will be able to work without having to take a break between getting an OWP and his closed permit permit expiring in April.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You couldn’t work his current job remotely. He would have to find snother job to work in Canada as a visitor. The employer would have to have no offices in Canada as well as no Canadian clients or customers. Would guess getting OWP may take around 4 months maybe less but there are no guarantees he will be able to work without having to take a break between getting an OWP and his closed permit permit expiring in April.
Why could he not work remotely? There's no requirement for a WP so long as it's working via the internet (or phone) for a sompany or individual that it outside Canada and has no connections to Canada in terms of presence.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Why could he not work remotely? There's no requirement for a WP so long as it's working via the internet (or phone) for a sompany or individual that it outside Canada and has no connections to Canada in terms of presence.
OP indicates that the husband is in Canada on a work permit. So that would indicate the work he is doing in Canada requires a work permit and is considered as entering the Canadian job market, regardless of whether remote or not.

Reactions: canuck78 and Ponga

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OP indicates that the husband is in Canada on a work permit. So that would indicate the work he is doing in Canada requires a work permit and is considered as entering the Canadian job market, regardless of whether remote or not.
Excellent point, which I totally missed! :rolleyes:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As pointed out by @scylla and @canuck78 (my bad) he will not be able to work remotely without a WP.

He should apply to extend/change his status to visitor before his current WP expires. While processing, he will have Maintained Status (formerly known as Implied Status) but will still need to cease working when it expires. The Maintained Status will only allow him to remain in Canada as a visitor.