+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring - How much $ is enough?

C

cowtown gal

You do agree to support your spouse and any dependant children but everyone is right - there is no income requirement for spousal sponsorship. I have been living outside Canada for the past 6 years and for the past 3 years I have been a student while my husband works. With me being a student and the cost of the move, we have minimal savings. I have successfully sponsored him, it's fine. Just include information on what you have been doing and what you plan to do in Canada. I included info on what types of jobs me and Mr. Cowtown will be applying for, a letter from my parents saying we will stay with them until we get set up, etc.

Good luck, look forward to hearing your updates! :)

gillespiedc

Star Member
May 22, 2010
Zhuhai, China
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2010
Always good to hear from you CW, let me tell you a little about my wife... First though, I fully intend to aquire a main income asap... that's a given.

Hellen's dream is to teach and play the gu zheng (it's like a Chinese guitar but laying down). We have invested in 2 instruments, over 2 years of lessons (she is now grade 5), and she has accumulated hard-copy and internet teaching resources to fulfill her plan to teach beginner students.

In China she was a purchasing agent, In Canada she will live her dream and make a living at it (once she has a work permit, of course).

Life is good!

gillespiedc

Star Member
May 22, 2010
Zhuhai, China
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2010
Mrs. Cowtown,

Thank you for that, this is just the kind of first-hand experience I was hoping to hear.

Cheers!

Doug

causticlilgirlie

May 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadianwoman said:
When you sponsor a relative, you have to agree to support them financially for a certain time. There are income requirements, but the income requirements are waived when you are sponsoring your spouse. But you are still expected to support them, if they need it.

You don't need an income, but of course the application will go smoother if you have one. This is because if the sponsor has no income, the visa officer will wonder how the couple will survive in Canada. If it seems as if the couple has no plans for their life together in Canada, and it looks like they have not discussed this, it will seem to be a fake marriage; therefore, no visa.
So if you don't have an income right now, show evidence that you are looking for a job, that your foreign spouse is bringing money with him/her, that your parents have agreed to support the two of you until you get on your feet; whatever. Anything that shows you are in fact planning a life together, and have discussed how to support yourselves.
this is a good take on the question of income. thanks, canadianwoman!

what if all these things weren't mentioned in the application? is there a way to send follow up documentation?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You can send in more documentation. It might delay the processing of your file a little, but if it also means they decide they don't need an interview, you're ahead. But some people have mentioned that they sent more stuff in, and it was misplaced, so it is not a sure thing.

In any case, extra evidence can be sent to your spouse and he/she can show it at the interview and talk about your plans for life together in Canada.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Gillespiedc: I love your wife's plan. I've wanted to take lessons in the erhu (a similar Chinese instrument) ever since my time in China, but have never seen a teacher.
Good luck to the three of you.

gillespiedc

Star Member
May 22, 2010
Zhuhai, China
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2010
Oh my, if we have enough in the budget I want to buy a good erhu. I play guitar and bass and want to learn erhu also. What an amazing instrument!

FYI - today we received Hellen and Kellys passports sporting nice, shiney 6 month TRVs! :D

In a few minutes I am going to update the other thread where I asked for a critique on the invitation letter with the whole story....

See you there!

Doug

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
OMG! Congratulations! My husband is sitting next to me and we're both absolutely thrilled, because this means there is hope he might get one. See you in the other thread.

causticlilgirlie

May 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gillespiedc said:
Oh my, if we have enough in the budget I want to buy a good erhu. I play guitar and bass and want to learn erhu also. What an amazing instrument!

FYI - today we received Hellen and Kellys passports sporting nice, shiney 6 month TRVs! :D

In a few minutes I am going to update the other thread where I asked for a critique on the invitation letter with the whole story....

See you there!

Doug
congratulations!:)