+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Future Husband

Sep 13, 2020
I am a 20 F who is looking to apply for spousal sponsorship for my future husband in 3 years (NOT NOW). Currently, my boyfriend and I are in a long distance relationship. He lives in Pakistan and I am a current Canadian citizen. I plan on meeting him once I get a job and my own place to stay. By the time we apply for spousal sponsorship, we will have known each other for
THREE YEARS. We video call, chat and text EVERYDAY for 4 hours. We use whatsapp, Facebook messenger, and Skype.
I have few questions:

1. Is it better to visit my boyfriend twice and get married on the SECOND visit and then start the Temporary Residence Visa application in Pakistan? Or can I get married to him in our FIRST visit and start the TRV application and apply for PRV inland in Canada once he gets approved for TRV?

2. Is it better to apply for BOTH TRV and PRV at the SAME time? If no then what would be the BETTER way to apply which would be faster and more convenient? Should we apply for PRV inland (canada) or Outland (pakistan)?

3. Do you think it is important to visit him multiple times (if yes, how many is enough?) Or can I meet him ONCE and get married in the FIRST VISIT?

4. How long does PRV take to process? How long does TRV take to process?

Sep 13, 2020
You get married on your FIRST visit , or even on your second , you’re looking at more red flags then at a Mayday parade in Moscow on your application
Btw, nothing will be fast and or convenient
After how many in person visits should I look into the whole idea of getting married?

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
I am a 20 F who is looking to apply for spousal sponsorship for my future husband in 3 years (NOT NOW). Currently, my boyfriend and I are in a long distance relationship. He lives in Pakistan and I am a current Canadian citizen. I plan on meeting him once I get a job and my own place to stay. By the time we apply for spousal sponsorship, we will have known each other for
THREE YEARS. We video call, chat and text EVERYDAY for 4 hours. We use whatsapp, Facebook messenger, and Skype.
I have few questions:

1. Is it better to visit my boyfriend twice and get married on the SECOND visit and then start the Temporary Residence Visa application in Pakistan? Or can I get married to him in our FIRST visit and start the TRV application and apply for PRV inland in Canada once he gets approved for TRV?

2. Is it better to apply for BOTH TRV and PRV at the SAME time? If no then what would be the BETTER way to apply which would be faster and more convenient? Should we apply for PRV inland (canada) or Outland (pakistan)?

3. Do you think it is important to visit him multiple times (if yes, how many is enough?) Or can I meet him ONCE and get married in the FIRST VISIT?

It doesnt matter what visit u get married on, if you've been corresponding for more than a year already, but, you absolutely need to go on a honeymoon following the marriage, as per Pakistani custom.
Make sure to document everything including photos, airline tickets together, etc. Honeymoon ideas- Egypt, Thailand, Turkey,etc....or if he can fly to EU then Spain, Italy, France, etc.
If you get married on first trip, you should make at least 1 more trip before applying.
You dont need to wait 3 YEARS to marry.
Its a human right to get married....but you still need to document proof of being tohether after the marriage...in fact I'd say spending time together as a married couple is much stronger proof than time together as boyfriend and girlfriend! It shows that you have already comitted 100% to each other....good luck to you both.

Reactions: berrycrumble123
Sep 13, 2020
It doesnt matter what visit u get married on, if you've been corresponding for more than a year already, but, you absolutely need to go on a honeymoon following the marriage, as per Pakistani custom.
Make sure to document everything including photos, airline tickets together, etc. Honeymoon ideas- Egypt, Thailand, Turkey,etc....or if he can fly to EU then Spain, Italy, France, etc.
If you get married on first trip, you should make at least 1 more trip before applying.
Its a human right to get married....but you still need to document proof of being tohether after the marriage...in fact I'd say spending time together as a married couple is much stronger proof than time together as boyfriend and girlfriend! It shows that you have already comitted 100% to each other....good luck to you both.
Thank you so much for your thorough response. The reason why I was waiting three years was because I am waiting for graduation from university and landing a job.
Thank you so much for your response! I wanted to ask a follow up qs.

1. Is it feasible to stay with my husband for only a month at max after we are married? This is due to the fact that I will have a full time job in Canada and I don't think I will be able to take long periods of break from the job.

We will definitely have an engagement ceremony with pictures and his family and then also have a honeymoon followed after that within Pakistan. We will document pictures and I will keep all receipts and we are also planning on sharing costs together of this trip.

We are also looking to apply for TRV in our first visit in Pakistan AFTER we are MARRIED and have documented proof. Is it possible to do this?

Last edited:

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Is it feasible to stay with my husband for only a month at max after we are married?
yes, but then you need to have at least 1 more visit before applying then.

We are also looking to apply for TRV in our first visit in Pakistan AFTER we are MARRIED and have documented proof. Is it possible to do this?
Its much better to apply trv before getting married, because being married to a Canadian citizen reduces your chances for trv -and that includes saying you have a Canadian fiance. Any tie you show to Canada only works against you unfortunately that's the system.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much for your thorough response. The reason why I was waiting three years was because I am waiting for graduation from university and landing a job.

Thank you so much for your response! I wanted to ask a follow up qs.

1. Is it feasible to stay with my husband for only a month at max after we are married? This is due to the fact that I will have a full time job in Canada and I don't think I will be able to take long periods of break from the job.

We will definitely have an engagement ceremony with pictures and his family and then also have a honeymoon followed after that within Pakistan. We will document pictures and I will keep all receipts and we are also planning on sharing costs together of this trip.

Would really recommend at least 2 visits. Even if you get engaged and have a party and then you have your wedding and a honeymoon on the second visit. Time together in person is more important than any communication online. Does your future spouse have a well paying job, good savings, property in his name and international travel to places like the US, UK, Australia, etc.? These are the things that will determine if qualifies for a TRV. There is a good chance that he will not get a TRV. Think you need to plan that there is a good chance you will need to sponsor your spouse while he is in Pakistan. You can live with him in Pakistan during the process if you want to. Applications from Pakistan tend to take over a year to be processed pre-covid. Would plan for 15+ months.

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Would really recommend at least 2 visits. Even if you get engaged and have a party and then you have your wedding and a honeymoon on the second visit. Time together in person is more important than any communication online. Does your future spouse have a well paying job, good savings, property in his name and international travel to places like the US, UK, Australia, etc.? These are the things that will determine if qualifies for a TRV. There is a good chance that he will not get a TRV. Think you need to plan that there is a good chance you will need to sponsor your spouse while he is in Pakistan. You can live with him in Pakistan during the process if you want to. Applications from Pakistan tend to take over a year to be processed pre-covid. Would plan for 15+ months.
Very good advice.

Peachnibbler

Star Member
Jun 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-01-2013
Interview........
28-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Declined
I have few questions:

Definitely do not get married on your second visit, this throws up huge red flags for immigration and decreases your chance of a successful application. You do not want to get turned down for ANYTHING. This makes the process so much harder. The more your boyfriend/husband gets turned down, the harder it is to get accepted for anything. The TRV is very difficult to get because you have to prove that he will return to his home country.

You cannot apply for both simultaneously. Immigration doesn't permit it. The only way to apply for a PRV inland is if he has some other type of visa that permits him to be in Canada - like a Student or Worker visa. If not, he's likely not going to get one unless he has a special set of skills or funding to pay for university in Canada. See below.

Very bad idea to marry on the first visit. You will not be successful with sponsorship. Multiple visits of significant duration are best.

Do not try to apply for a visitor's visa when married. If you try to obtain a visitor's visa as a girlfriend, fiancé or worse yet, a wife, you will get declined. The thing to remember is that the main criteria for any type of temporary visa is the requirement that the person will return to his home country. So unless he has a job to return to or a whack of money in the bank or you guys have a child together that he is returning to, you don't have a chance of success. If your future spouse has not shown a history of leaving his home country and returning - multiple times, he will be considered a "flight risk" - meaning that they will consider that he will not return as required. So bottom line, don't waste your time on a temporary visa.

If you guys are truly serious about marriage, take lots of time together, in person as much as possible and the more the better and the longer periods of time, the better. Otherwise it will look like a marriage of convenience and this decision by immigration is the last thing you want to have happen when you apply for spousal sponsorship. This might sound silly but if you have a child together after marriage, this is a big plus for sponsorship approval. If not, make sure you keep every little thing (dates, diaries, flight forms, movie ticket stubs, meal receipts everything!) and take lots of photos. Make sure the photos are very clear. Now this one might sound odd, but I would avoid holding anyone else's children in any of your photos. This can be confusing to Immigration.

Be prepared to answer any questions that would point to an "irregular" type of relationship. Like differences in age, religion, language, education, stage of life etc. and for your husband, they may ask what was he doing on the internet (i.e. to meet a white girl who would sponsor him). You must remember that the immigration system is adversarial and protective of Canada (not you, even though they will try to tell you that this is for your protection).

In the sponsorship immigration process, make sure you attend the interview that your husband may be invited to attend. The interview is only 1 hour long and the officer will make a decision after that. Make sure that the interviewing officer knows that you are there, who you are and that you expect to be interviewed as well. They have the right to refuse to interview you but it is very good to be seen together.

Most importantly in the interview, do not let the interview drift. Make sure that you guide the direction of the interview with your responses. Every response leads to the next question and before you know it, the officer is forming the wrong idea (and you have no idea). Practice responding to questions. There are sample questions on this website (somewhere?) but be prepared for any question.

A successful PRV can take 12 months. An unsuccessful PRV can lead to years of hard work trying to be together. If you can live together, married or otherwise, this is helpful. This might mean you moving to Pakistan. If that is not feasible, then you need to do everything you can to be successful in your first application. If you are not successful, it is a horrible journey to file an appeal. If you lose the appeal, it's often over and you have to start over with better evidence.

In my case, it took 7 years to get an approval - 3 declined TRV's, 1 declined sponsorship, 1 failed appeal and a final successful 2nd sponsorship (helped by the new immigration laws in Canada). My husband will be arriving in Canada soon. Delayed by Covid-19...

• Wow
Reactions: *nn*

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
In my case, it took 7 years to get an approval - 3 declined TRV's, 1 declined sponsorship, 1 failed appeal and a final successful 2nd sponsorship (helped by the new immigration laws in Canada). My husband will be arriving in Canada soon. Delayed by Covid-19...
Hi thanks for sharing your experience.
May I ask what do you think was the main reason of your first sponsorship refusal and what did you do differently second time?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Do not try to apply for a visitor's visa when married. If you try to obtain a visitor's visa as a girlfriend, fiancé or worse yet, a wife, you will get declined. The thing to remember is that the main criteria for any type of temporary visa is the requirement that the person will return to his home country. So unless he has a job to return to or a whack of money in the bank or you guys have a child together that he is returning to, you don't have a chance of success. If your future spouse has not shown a history of leaving his home country and returning - multiple times, he will be considered a "flight risk" - meaning that they will consider that he will not return as required. So bottom line, don't waste your time on a temporary visa.

If you guys are truly serious about marriage, take lots of time together, in person as much as possible and the more the better and the longer periods of time, the better. Otherwise it will look like a marriage of convenience and this decision by immigration is the last thing you want to have happen when you apply for spousal sponsorship. This might sound silly but if you have a child together after marriage, this is a big plus for sponsorship approval. If not, make sure you keep every little thing (dates, diaries, flight forms, movie ticket stubs, meal receipts everything!) and take lots of photos. Make sure the photos are very clear. Now this one might sound odd, but I would avoid holding anyone else's children in any of your photos. This can be confusing to Immigration.

Be prepared to answer any questions that would point to an "irregular" type of relationship. Like differences in age, religion, language, education, stage of life etc. and for your husband, they may ask what was he doing on the internet (i.e. to meet a white girl who would sponsor him). You must remember that the immigration system is adversarial and protective of Canada (not you, even though they will try to tell you that this is for your protection).

In the sponsorship immigration process, make sure you attend the interview that your husband may be invited to attend. The interview is only 1 hour long and the officer will make a decision after that. Make sure that the interviewing officer knows that you are there, who you are and that you expect to be interviewed as well. They have the right to refuse to interview you but it is very good to be seen together.

Most importantly in the interview, do not let the interview drift. Make sure that you guide the direction of the interview with your responses. Every response leads to the next question and before you know it, the officer is forming the wrong idea (and you have no idea). Practice responding to questions. There are sample questions on this website (somewhere?) but be prepared for any question.

A successful PRV can take 12 months. An unsuccessful PRV can lead to years of hard work trying to be together. If you can live together, married or otherwise, this is helpful. This might mean you moving to Pakistan. If that is not feasible, then you need to do everything you can to be successful in your first application. If you are not successful, it is a horrible journey to file an appeal. If you lose the appeal, it's often over and you have to start over with better evidence.

Saying there is no chance of success is wrong. There are many cases where people who have a PR application in process have gotten TRV's. It has no effect on the PR app. If the OP wants to spend the $100 and try to get one there is no reason not to try.

Qurat ul ain

Feb 4, 2019
Hey peachnibbler, which laws are you referring to here: "a final successful 2nd sponsorship (helped by the new immigration laws in Canada). "

Mitch55555

Nov 14, 2018
Ecuador
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
07-01-2019
AOR Received.
27-02-2019
File Transfer...
03-10-2019
Med's Request
27-03-2019/2-08-2020
Med's Done....
29-03-2010/11-08-2020
Interview........
Waived
After how many in person visits should I look into the whole idea of getting married?
I got married on my third visit with my wife and had no issues with immigration.