+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring from outside Canada

Nichka

Mar 13, 2007
Hi! I am a permanent resident currently living outside Canada with my husband, who has no status in Canada. I wish to sponsor him so that we can move together in Canada. Trying to complete the forms, we've got a few difficulties:

1. “Sponsors not residing in Canada must provide evidence that they reside exclusively outside Canada on the date of giving the undertaking and will reside in Canada at the time their sponsored spouse becomes permanent resident of Canada”.

At present I am working for a Canadian firm, but my main location of work is Cyprus, though my job is controlled from Canada. Would this be a good enough evidence that we will reside in Canada? Considering that it is simply unrealistic to rent, buy property or find another job while the sponsorship application is being processed, which takes months, what sort of evidence may suffice?

2. My husband is a Bulgarian national, but for the past 11 years he resided in Cyprus. According to the form IMM1344EA part C we have a choice for the application to be processed in the visa office belonging to Cyprus or to Bulgaria. Where could we find out which are the corresponding visa offices, and which one of them may process out application faster?

3. Form IMM5481E requires me to provide details concerning my employment, such as net personal income including the tax declaration from the Revenue office etc. At the same time, the Sponsorship application guide states: "this condition does not apply if you are sponsoring your spouse..." Would our application be assessed based on the level of income and if so, where can I find the minimum required level?

Thanks in advance.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Nichka said:
Hi! I am a permanent resident currently living outside Canada with my husband, who has no status in Canada. I wish to sponsor him so that we can move together in Canada. Trying to complete the forms, we've got a few difficulties:

1. “Sponsors not residing in Canada must provide evidence that they reside exclusively outside Canada on the date of giving the undertaking and will reside in Canada at the time their sponsored spouse becomes permanent resident of Canada”.

At present I am working for a Canadian firm, but my main location of work is Cyprus, though my job is controlled from Canada. Would this be a good enough evidence that we will reside in Canada? Considering that it is simply unrealistic to rent, buy property or find another job while the sponsorship application is being processed, which takes months, what sort of evidence may suffice?

2. My husband is a Bulgarian national, but for the past 11 years he resided in Cyprus. According to the form IMM1344EA part C we have a choice for the application to be processed in the visa office belonging to Cyprus or to Bulgaria. Where could we find out which are the corresponding visa offices, and which one of them may process out application faster?

3. Form IMM5481E requires me to provide details concerning my employment, such as net personal income including the tax declaration from the Revenue office etc. At the same time, the Sponsorship application guide states: "this condition does not apply if you are sponsoring your spouse..." Would our application be assessed based on the level of income and if so, where can I find the minimum required level?

Thanks in advance.
1. Only Canadian citizens can sponsor spouses and dependent children while outside Canada. YOu would have to return and take up residency before you could sponsor.
2. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/times-int/05-fc-spouses.html#europe for processing times he would have to apply either to Bucharest or Ankara/Damascus.
3. You have to provide the information , but there is no minimum amount for spousal applicants.

PMM

raniloc

Dec 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13, 2011
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2011
AOR Received.
April 11, 2011
File Transfer...
April 24, 2011
Med's Request
Re-med Request : Jan. 25, 2012
Med's Done....
Re-med done : Feb 08, 2012
Passport Req..
April 11, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Feb. 29. 2012 ECAS DM - MARCH 5, 2012 , VISA RECEIVED: MARCH 3, 2012
LANDED..........
AUGUST 3, 2012
PMM said:
Hi

1. Only Canadian citizens can sponsor spouses and dependent children while outside Canada. YOu would have to return and take up residency before you could sponsor.
2. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/times-int/05-fc-spouses.html#europe for processing times he would have to apply either to Bucharest or Ankara/Damascus.
3. You have to provide the information , but there is no minimum amount for spousal applicants.

PMM
Our situation is similar to this.. My sponsor is a Canadian citizen. He submitted a sponsorship application (me as the sponsored person) outside Canada last Feb 2011. He's sponsorship was approved by CPC-M and our PR application was forwarded to the local Visa office here in Manila.

My concern is this... He's been outside of Canada for 4 years now and currently we are living together... Will this affect our PR application? Does he need to return to Canada while the PR application is ongoing?

MandyUK

Jun 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22nd July 2011
File Transfer...
27th September 2011
Med's Done....
1st July 2011
Passport Req..
November 7th 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 29th 2011
LANDED..........
24th Jan 2012. (Canada Place)
raniloc said:
Our situation is similar to this.. My sponsor is a Canadian citizen. He submitted a sponsorship application (me as the sponsored person) outside Canada last Feb 2011. He's sponsorship was approved by CPC-M and our PR application was forwarded to the local Visa office here in Manila.

My concern is this... He's been outside of Canada for 4 years now and currently we are living together... Will this affect our PR application? Does he need to return to Canada while the PR application is ongoing?
Not if he is a Canadian Citizen he can sponser you from anywhere in the world, its only if he is a Canadian PR that he would have to return (and stay) to Canada before he can sponser you. :)

BT1975

Jul 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mailed 18-10-2011/ Filed at CPC 02-11-2011
File Transfer...
20-12-2011
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
15-10-2011
Hi Raniloc. I don't think there is a problem at all as long as he's a citizen and will be taking up residency in Canada with you after you get your residency visa. I'm a Canadian citizen who has been living 11 years outside of Canada and I'm sponsoring my husband. We are currently residing in Singapore until my husband receives his residency visa, then we move to Canada.

Nichka, the government website says that permanent residents residing in Canada can sponsor. That may mean that you have to take up residency in Canada again before you can sponsor your husband. Perhaps you can check with the embassy or an immigration lawyer to see if there is a possibility to sponsor while living outside of Canada.

You can definitely choose to have your application processed at the country office that has a shorter processing time, the one in Cyprus or the office that handles applications for Bulgarian citizens. We live in Singapore but are using the London, UK office because processing time is significantly shorter.

Good luck with your applications everyone!