+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring for Perm Res from New Zealand

wildrose

Jul 24, 2012
Hi Everyone,

We are planning on submitting my fiances application in early 2013 after our wedding in March 2013 and just wondering if anyone could help with some of our questions.

1) We are applying from New Zealand where we both live, has anyone had any success applying from outside Canada and what proof did you provide to show your intended plans to move back to Canada once the PR is approved?

2) My fiance is a New Zealand citizen now but is originally from South Africa so we are wondering approximately how long it takes to get a police check from SA?

3) Since we will have to apply to Canada to assess if I can be a sponsor then it will go to Sydney after that, has anyone had experience in how long this is taking?

4) The application guide indicates you need to submit the entire application but it seems many people have sent in their application then sent their medicals and police checks after. Has anyone waited and sumitted these after their initial application and did this cause any delays or issues for them?

5) Once the PR is approved how long do we have until he needs to enter Canada and how long does it take to get the PR card so that he can go back to NZ to sort out out affairs?

There is much information on the CIC website but a lot of it seems to be open to interpretation so just curious what other peoples experiences are. Any advice and help with this would be really appreciate.

Thanks everyone.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
wildrose said:
Hi Everyone,

Hey wildrose, and welcome!

We are planning on submitting my fiances application in early 2013 after our wedding in March 2013 and just wondering if anyone could help with some of our questions.

1) We are applying from New Zealand where we both live, has anyone had any success applying from outside Canada and what proof did you provide to show your intended plans to move back to Canada once the PR is approved? most people apply outland, and each application is different, the important thing is to try and convince the VO that you intend to go to Canada once the PR is approved. If you have a job offer in Canada, include that. If not, then include the emails you might have had with potential employers, moving companies. Letters from friend and family to show that they will host you when you get there - or whatever arrangement you will have. Include a detailed timeline of steps that you need to do to leave NZ and return (tax issues in NZ, rent contract notice period, etc etc) - we did that and got approved as a sponsor. Any proofs that you have thought about going to Canada, that you are serious about it, and that you are prepared. then you should be good!

2) My fiance is a New Zealand citizen now but is originally from South Africa so we are wondering approximately how long it takes to get a police check from SA? sorry - no idea

3) Since we will have to apply to Canada to assess if I can be a sponsor then it will go to Sydney after that, has anyone had experience in how long this is taking? there is a Sydney thread, you can check there, but it's one of the fastest and easiest VO to deal with, so you are lucky! they seem quite fast at assessing, and good at responding to queries, so definitely a good place to apply!

4) The application guide indicates you need to submit the entire application but it seems many people have sent in their application then sent their medicals and police checks after. Has anyone waited and sumitted these after their initial application and did this cause any delays or issues for them? submit right away! medicals can delay for1 or 2 months, and then it will be more difficult to get all documents together etc. Unless you have a very good reason not to, include everything, it saves time, and energy... also pay the "right of permanent residence" upfront (total fees 1040) it will save you time at the end ( there again, one month...)

5) Once the PR is approved how long do we have until he needs to enter Canada and how long does it take to get the PR card so that he can go back to NZ to sort out out affairs? you have until the expiry of the medicals to land. So try to get your medicals done just before you send your application, and from there, it's one year. but your partner can go to Canada, land, and then return to NZ ... the PR card takes about 6 weeks, but you can receive it, and send it to him in NZ if needed - if he is from visa exempt country, he won't need it either.

There is much information on the CIC website but a lot of it seems to be open to interpretation so just curious what other peoples experiences are. Any advice and help with this would be really appreciate.

Good luck with your application, you seem to be preparing quite early, so you'll be fine! don't hesitate to ask questions if needed!

Cheers,
Sweden

Thanks everyone.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
here is the thread for Sydney VO if you need it> http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thread-for-applications-through-sydney-australia-office-t46958.270.html

Sweden

wildrose

Jul 24, 2012
Thank you very much for your advice, really appreciated. We had my NZ residency approved pretty easily but the Canadian applicationd seem so much more detailed so fingers crossed.

fandv

Aug 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Jan 2013
AOR Received.
CPC-M: None. Singapore: 25 Apr 2013
File Transfer...
17 Apr 2013
Med's Request
2nd request: 5 Feb 2014
Med's Done....
1st: 12 Dec 2012. 2nd: 11 Feb 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14 Feb 2014 and also e-CAS changed to "In Process" on that day. Passport got to Singapore: 12 Mar '14
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made on eCAS: 12 April 2014. Visa n COPR issued 8 April 2014, received 16 May 2014.
LANDED..........
20 May 2014. PR card arrived on 29 July 2014.
wildrose said:
1) We are applying from New Zealand where we both live, has anyone had any success applying from outside Canada and what proof did you provide to show your intended plans to move back to Canada once the PR is approved?

2) My fiance is a New Zealand citizen now but is originally from South Africa so we are wondering approximately how long it takes to get a police check from SA?
Hi wildrose,

NZ is as good as Canada, but without the extreme cold...why don't you both stay there? ;D

Also read Fencesitter's post on what he did to demonstrate his intention to move back to Canada (from China) after his wife got her PR:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/dependant-children-application-refusal-t109721.0.html;msg1573675#msg1573675

About the police check from SA, I did a little Googling, and found out that according to the website of the South African department of International Relations and Cooperation, it takes about 6 to 8 weeks for the police clearance certificate to be issued. So since you're getting in March 2013, I would guess that you'll send the application in March/April 2013 perhaps? Which means it's probably best to request for the police clearance sometime in December 2012/January 2013 :).

See point #10 here:

http://www.dfa.gov.za/consular/policeclear.htm

wildrose

Jul 24, 2012
Nz is nice but been here over 2 years and only intended to be here 3 months until I met my fiancé. I miss my family and want to raise kids in Canada and it also opens up more job oportunities for my fiancé. It's a beautiful country but the cost of living is higher and the flights are pretty pricy which makes going home for visits difficult.

Thank you so much for the advice, I found the same thing for the sa police check so fingers crossed it is easy to get. You have been a huge help thank you.

Cheers