+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring family (Wife and expected child)

falcon123

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good day. My question is regarding family sponsorship.

Timeline as below:

June 2006 - Application for myself - single unmarried applicant. I am from India.
Jan 2010 - Immigrant Visa stamped. I am still unmarried.
July 2010 - Enter Canada for first PR landing into Toronto. I am still unmarried and declare the same to the immigration officer.

I stay for 1 week in Canada.

July 2010: I exit Canada and fly back to India. I am still unmarried.

In India, as per tradition, I agree for an arranged marriage and I got married in the last week of July 2010. My wife is Indian citizen residing in India.

NOTE: Wedding took place in India after I had already made my first landing to obtain PR card.

October 2010 - Receive my PR card.

Due to my work in Dubai, I have not gone back to Canada since my first landing. Also my wife is expecting our first child now.

November 2011 : End of job contract in Dubai and I plan to fly to Canada permanently. Once in Canada, I will look for job and also apply for sponsorship for my wife and child after he/she is born.

Question:
1) When do I have to inform the Canadian authorities about my wedding, my wife and our expected first child?

2) Should I start the sponsorship application for my pregnant wife now itself or should I wait till the child is born (April 2012) and then apply for sponsorship for both of them?

2) Will there be any problems for the sponsorship of my wife and child? And how long does it take to sponsor my family provided all documents are provided. Wife is Indian citizen and resides in India and the child will be born in India as well.

Thanks for your help. Look forward to your response.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
As you were single up to the time of landing and afterwards got married, you were not obliged to update your status before landing. You only need to start the sponsorship process for your family.

1) As a PR, you must be residing in Canada in order to sponsor your family, so you cannot begin the process until you have departed Dubai and estbalished residence in Canada. At that time you may apply immediately, you don't need to wait until the baby is born. When the child is born, simply update the application to sponsor your wife with the relevant information for the child.

2) Based on what you have said here, there should be no issues with your sponsoring them. New Delhi has an average processing time of 6 months for spousal sponsorship.