+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SPONSORING FAMILY MEMBERS.

S

shibuya

Are you someone who is looking to reunite with your loved one in Canada? A Canadian citizen or someone who holds a permanent resident (PR) status in Canada has the right to sponsor his/her spouse/ dependant child/ conjugal partner/ common-law partner, parents and (only in some provinces) other relatives who fulfill the eligibility criteria to gain a permanent resident (PR) status in the Canada.

The term “Family Class” has been given to people who are eligible for the sponsorship. According to the regulations by the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), if applicant fulfills the eligibility to become a PR in Canada, he or she would have the freedom to get employed, study and reside in the nation.

The person coming to the nation as a PR must fulfill all the mandates and give every possible effort in providing for the crucial needs of self as well as the clan.

If the person is sponsoring a relative to come to the country as a Canadian resident, he or she are the ones to support the relative in financial matter after the arrival. As a sponsor, the onus is on him to ensure that the spouse/relative or the person coming for a PR is not taking any kind of financial assistance, for a certain stipulated period, from the Canadian government.

Sponsoring your relative: Procedure

One can sponsor a relative if he is a citizen of Canada or hold a PR status in the country. The process of sponsoring a relative starts once the application is filed to become a sponsor. There are two ways a person can sponsor the family:

•First process is made in use for providing sponsorship to Spouses and Dependant Children
•Second process is used in giving sponsorship to other eligible relatives.
Sponsoring Spouses and Dependent Children

A citizen of Canada or someone who holds a PR can provide sponsorship to his or her spouse or dependant children (if applicable) who are intending to seek permanent residency in Canada.

Application Process

•The citizen or the PR of Canada intending to provide sponsorship to spouses/dependant child must apply as a sponsor. It is mandatory for both the parties to fulfill the essential requirements decked with the process.
•It is vital for the applicants planning to come to Canada to go through various checks including medical screening and criminal and background checks. If found ineligible to clear either, the applicant may be barred from entering the premises.
•Certificates of police records and essential documents must be provided by the applicants to gain sponsorship.
Sponsoring Your Eligible Relatives

As a citizen of Canada, or someone who holds a Canadian Permanent Resident Visa, he or she can provide sponsorship to relatives under the Family Class program. Not all relatives qualify to get sponsorship under this program. It is vital for both the parties (person sponsoring as well as those intending to immigrate to Canada as PR) to fulfill the requirements linked with the immigration process. These include medical and criminal screening and giving the proof of a genuine background, to name a few.

Reactions: nkuzibe

moyeisha

Aug 19, 2013
I just want to know is there any chance to bring my spouse and daughter with me using my LMO as a skilled worker even i nit a PR holder.?what are the procedures?hoping for a reply.thanks

Anna999

Jan 4, 2017
Define "dependent" child please.

If a parent is a citizen can they sponsor a child of any age?

Thank you

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Anna999 said:
Define "dependent" child please.

If a parent is a citizen can they sponsor a child of any age?

Thank you
a dependant child is a child under 19 years of age

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-who.asp

nkuzibe

Star Member
Jul 6, 2010
Are you someone who is looking to reunite with your loved one in Canada? A Canadian citizen or someone who holds a permanent resident (PR) status in Canada has the right to sponsor his/her spouse/ dependant child/ conjugal partner/ common-law partner, parents and (only in some provinces) other relatives who fulfill the eligibility criteria to gain a permanent resident (PR) status in the Canada.

The term “Family Class” has been given to people who are eligible for the sponsorship. According to the regulations by the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), if applicant fulfills the eligibility to become a PR in Canada, he or she would have the freedom to get employed, study and reside in the nation.

The person coming to the nation as a PR must fulfill all the mandates and give every possible effort in providing for the crucial needs of self as well as the clan.

If the person is sponsoring a relative to come to the country as a Canadian resident, he or she are the ones to support the relative in financial matter after the arrival. As a sponsor, the onus is on him to ensure that the spouse/relative or the person coming for a PR is not taking any kind of financial assistance, for a certain stipulated period, from the Canadian government.

One can sponsor a relative if he is a citizen of Canada or hold a PR status in the country. The process of sponsoring a relative starts once the application is filed to become a sponsor. There are two ways a person can sponsor the family:

•First process is made in use for providing sponsorship to Spouses and Dependant Children

A citizen of Canada or someone who holds a PR can provide sponsorship to his or her spouse or dependant children (if applicable) who are intending to seek permanent residency in Canada.

Application Process

•The citizen or the PR of Canada intending to provide sponsorship to spouses/dependant child must apply as a sponsor. It is mandatory for both the parties to fulfill the essential requirements decked with the process.
•It is vital for the applicants planning to come to Canada to go through various checks including medical screening and criminal and background checks. If found ineligible to clear either, the applicant may be barred from entering the premises.
•Certificates of police records and essential documents must be provided by the applicants to gain sponsorship.

As a citizen of Canada, or someone who holds a Canadian Permanent Resident Visa, he or she can provide sponsorship to relatives under the Family Class program. Not all relatives qualify to get sponsorship under this program. It is vital for both the parties (person sponsoring as well as those intending to immigrate to Canada as PR) to fulfill the requirements linked with the immigration process. These include medical and criminal screening and giving the proof of a genuine background, to name a few.

Application Process

Thank you for this educational piece.
I wish to know if with family REUNITE route, I can process PR while in Canada?
Also how possible is it for me to come to Canada under family REUNITE with my wife? My elder brother is a Canadian citizen and wishes to sponsor us but we need guide...

Thanks in advance to you kind response.
Regards,
Nike.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for this educational piece.
I wish to know if with family REUNITE route, I can process PR while in Canada?
Also how possible is it for me to come to Canada under family REUNITE with my wife? My elder brother is a Canadian citizen and wishes to sponsor us but we need guide...

Thanks in advance to you kind response.
Regards,
Nike.
Most likely your elder brother cannot sponsor you for PR. Most likely you will need to qualify for PR on your own through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry.

Your elder brother can only sponsor you if ALL of the below are true:
- your brother is single (unmarried, no common law partner)
- your brother has no children
- both of your parents are deceased
- your brother has no other relatives in Canada (e.g. other sibling, aunt, uncle, etc.)

nkuzibe

Star Member
Jul 6, 2010
Most likely your elder brother cannot sponsor you for PR. Most likely you will need to qualify for PR on your own through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry.

Your elder brother can only sponsor you if ALL of the below are true:
- your brother is single (unmarried, no common law partner)
- your brother has no children
- both of your parents are deceased
- your brother has no other relatives in Canada (e.g. other sibling, aunt, uncle, etc.)

Thank you for your prompt response.
My elder brother is married with a kid.
Since it seems this route is not feasible for me which other route can I use.
My wife just wrote an IELTS exam and had an average score of 6.5, with 7.0
in speaking and listening respectively, 5.5 in reading and 6.0 in writing. Her
certificate is WES verified.
Also, entering Canada with a visitor visa, can one convert to Work permit and
then pursue PR, is this possible?..
Your candid advice will be appreciated.

Regards,
Nke.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Regards,
Nke.
In that case family sponsorship is not possible.

You should determine how many points you have under Express Entry. You want to achieve a score of 470+ to have a decent chance of being selected. If you don't have enough points for Express Entry, then you should look into the provincial programs (PNP). Each PNP program has its own requirements so you'll need to spend time researching. If you are going to be the primary applicant, then I would recommend that you rewrite IELTS to achieve a higher score.

Being in Canada as a visitor does not give you any advantages when it comes to getting a work permit or qualifying for PR. Getting a work permit is extremely difficult since you need to find an employer who is willing to give you a job offer and that employer must then go through the long and expensive LMIA process before you can apply for a work permit.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Regards,
Nke.
If your wife is the primary applicant, then you are not eligible for Express Entry as your IELTS in reading is too low. She needs higher scores. What are your scores? If higher you may be eligible but you want a CRS score of 470+. What province does your brother live in? As already stated, you can’t convert a visitor visa to a work permit and persue PR.

Last edited: