+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Family From Tajikistan

Dec 2, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I am a Canadian Citizen in Alberta and want to sponsor my brother and his family. I have been trying to find a group of 5 but no luck to do so. Is there any other way to sponsor them? I would be very much appreciated your help and advises.

Family of 5
My brother, his wife and three kids under 7 yrs.
No status yet in Tajikistan.

About me:
-Canadian Citizen
-Married and have two kids under 3yrs.
-income: +$60K

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No you can’t sponsor them unless if through Group of 5 and they are registered as refugees. They have to come through the Express Entry immigration process and select Alberta. They have to eligible with completed ECAs and language tests. So look at Express Entry - Federal Skilled Worker Program. They also need to show $27,000 in their own funds.

Dec 2, 2020
No you can’t sponsor them unless if through Group of 5 and they are registered as refugees. They have to come through the Express Entry immigration process and select Alberta. They have to eligible with completed ECAs and language tests. So look at Express Entry - Federal Skilled Worker Program. They also need to show $27,000 in their own funds.
Thank you so much for the information. They applied to be registered refugee with UNHCR office in Tajikistan. and they don't have much English proficiency to complete the ECAs English test. I heard from someone if there is no group of five then there is an amount money to deposit in the bank will provided by the government. I am not sure that's true or not. advise please? Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much for the information. They applied to be registered refugee with UNHCR office in Tajikistan. and they don't have much English proficiency to complete the ECAs English test. I heard from someone if there is no group of five then there is an amount money to deposit in the bank will provided by the government. I am not sure that's true or not. advise please? Thanks
It's not clear what you mean by this.

For Group of Five, you need to find four others who are willing to support the sponsorship. You must also make sure you can demonstrate sufficient funds / savings to support their settlement.

The alternatives would be:

1) UNHCR refers your brother's family for resettlement in Canada. There is an extremely low chance this will happen since the majority of refugees are resettled in the country where they already are (in your brother's case this would be Tajikistan). Your brother also does not have the ability to chose where he is resettled. UNHCR makes this decision for him.

2) You find an organization (Sponsorship Agreement Holders) on the list below that is willing to support the sponsorship of your brother and his family. Typically this is also very difficult to do since the vast majority of these organizations are no longer accepting sponsorships. However you can certainly try. I would recommend that you focus on organizations that are in the area where you are living and which are religiously or culturally similar to you.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/help-outside-canada/private-sponsorship-program/agreement-holders/holders-list.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When it comes to private refugee settlement Canada indicates what kind of refugees they are looking for and even what countries they want to sponsor from and UNHCR narrows down a list for Canada to select from. Less than 1% of refugees are likely to be resettled by UNHCR at the moment so it is really a long shot.

If possible I would take on more work, have your spouse work if not working already to raise your savings and hopefully you'll be able to be part of the group of 5.

Dec 2, 2020

For Group of Five, you need to find four others who are willing to support the sponsorship. You must also make sure you can demonstrate sufficient funds / savings to support their settlement.

1) UNHCR refers your brother's family for resettlement in Canada. There is an extremely low chance this will happen since the majority of refugees are resettled in the country where they already are (in your brother's case this would be Tajikistan). Your brother also does not have the ability to chose where he is resettled. UNHCR makes this decision for him.

2) You find an organization (Sponsorship Agreement Holders) on the list below that is willing to support the sponsorship of your brother and his family. Typically this is also very difficult to do since the vast majority of these organizations are no longer accepting sponsorships. However you can certainly try. I would recommend that you focus on organizations that are in the area where you are living and which are religiously or culturally similar to you.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/help-outside-canada/private-sponsorship-program/agreement-holders/holders-list.html
Thank you for the information. I was wondering to ask what's the minimum fund requirements for the group 5. if it possible to share the links. and also how long will take the entire process? I heard the process is 8 months. advise please. Thanks!

Dec 2, 2020
When it comes to private refugee settlement Canada indicates what kind of refugees they are looking for and even what countries they want to sponsor from and UNHCR narrows down a list for Canada to select from. Less than 1% of refugees are likely to be resettled by UNHCR at the moment so it is really a long shot.

If possible I would take on more work, have your spouse work if not working already to raise your savings and hopefully you'll be able to be part of the group of 5.
Thank you very much for the information. What's the income requirements for each person who is being a sponsor in the group of 5? and also can a person be multiple sponsor at the same time? I mean I have friend's they already being a sponsor in in group of 5. can I use them for my brother family as well? Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the information. I was wondering to ask what's the minimum fund requirements for the group 5. if it possible to share the links. and also how long will take the entire process? I heard the process is 8 months. advise please. Thanks!
Processing times are somewhere between 8 months to 2 years. It is difficult to guess right now since COVID has slowed everything down.

The minimum savings you need to show are in the table below. Note that it is very strongly recommended that you show MORE than the minimum. An application can still be refused if only the minimum funds are shown and IRCC has concerns about the sponsors' ability to support the family.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-sponsor-refugee-groups-five.html#appa2-psr

Reactions: AfghanCanadian2020

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you very much for the information. What's the income requirements for each person who is being a sponsor in the group of 5? and also can a person be multiple sponsor at the same time? I mean I have friend's they already being a sponsor in in group of 5. can I use them for my brother family as well? Thank you!
The answer to your second question is no. People cannot participate in multiple group of 5 sponsorships at the same time.

Reactions: AfghanCanadian2020
Dec 2, 2020

Processing times are somewhere between 8 months to 2 years. It is difficult to guess right now since COVID has slowed everything down.

The minimum savings you need to show are in the table below. Note that it is very strongly recommended that you show MORE than the minimum. An application can still be refused if only the minimum funds are shown and IRCC has concerns about the sponsors' ability to support the family.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-sponsor-refugee-groups-five.html#appa2-psr
Thank you so much for the detailed information. I went through the link it shows $32,300 for five person. I was wondering to ask is this saving from all the group of 5 or just the principle applicant which I am sponsoring them.

Xbero

Star Member
Sep 9, 2014
Thank you so much for the detailed information. I went through the link it shows $32,300 for five person. I was wondering to ask is this saving from all the group of 5 or just the principle applicant which I am sponsoring them.
The saving has to come from the sponsoring person, who is in Canada, not from the person who is being sponsored from Tajikistan.

Shakilasafi

Apr 23, 2021

Shakilasafi

Apr 23, 2021
Hello my dear, I need your help on how they applied UN refugee certificate. My sister just moved to Tajikistan but doesn’t know what to do

nsb58

Jul 13, 2021
Hello my dear, I need your help on how they applied UN refugee certificate. My sister just moved to Tajikistan but doesn’t know what to do
Could you also let me know once you find answer to this? My family is also planning to move to Tajikistan