+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Dependent parent for Visa, living outside Canada

Apr 12, 2021
Hello All,

My mother is dependent on me and I have a PR but living outside Canada as of now. I lived in for 2 years in Canada already as a PR before coming back and now due to covid and situation, I am planning to return soon.

I would like to know the process regarding Sponsoring a dependent parent for a long-term/short-term Visa.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All,

My mother is dependent on me and I have a PR but living outside Canada as of now. I lived in for 2 years in Canada already as a PR before coming back and now due to covid and situation, I am planning to return soon.

I would like to know the process regarding Sponsoring a dependent parent for a long-term/short-term Visa.
The only visa she can apply for at this time is a regular TRV (tourist visa).

To qualify for a super visa (extended tourist visa) you would need to be working in Canada.

Apr 12, 2021
The only visa she can apply for at this time is a regular TRV (tourist visa).

To qualify for a super visa (extended tourist visa) you would need to be working in Canada.
thank you for the answer.

As a primary applicant, do I have to submit any proof of her being dependent on the TRV application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thank you for the answer.

As a primary applicant, do I have to submit any proof of her being dependent on the TRV application?
No - parents are not classified as dependents by IRCC. She will apply for the TRV as the primary applicant.

A TRV is a temporary visa. So what will be important to show is that your mother has ties to her home country and is only coming to Canada for a short term visit. Ideally she should show ties like property ownership, as well as savings / funds. If she has previous travel to countries requiring visas such as Canada, US, UK - that will also work in her favour.

Apr 12, 2021
No - parents are not classified as dependents by IRCC. She will apply for the TRV as the primary applicant.

A TRV is a temporary visa. So what will be important to show is that your mother has ties to her home country and is only coming to Canada for a short term visit. Ideally she should show ties like property ownership, as well as savings / funds. If she has previous travel to countries requiring visas such as Canada, US, UK - that will also work in her favour.
thank you!

One last question, does this implies that I am (primary/PR/sponsoring family member) is not required mandatory to be inside and working in Canada for the moment while she can apply for TRV and visit Canada accompanying me together when I visit again ?