+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring dependent child from India

mamillki6

Jan 7, 2019
I got my PR in 2015 Oct , prior to this i was living in Canada on closed work permit from Oct 2012.After i got my PR i lived for 11months and returned to India on Oct 2016. In total i have 4 years of work experience in Canada.

I got married in 2016 Dec, and have baby who is 8months old. Am planning to apply PR for baby and move to Canada.May i know if i can apply PR from India for baby.

Just incase if i cant apply PR being in India can i take baby on visitor visa and apply for PR from Canada as soon as i land?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
As a PR you must apply and remain in Canada during the sponsorship process. You can apply for a TRV for your wife and child, but there is a strong possibility they may be refused (because they aren’t visitors and ultimately intend to stay), so you may have to return alone to sponsor them. Be prepared to spend a year away from them while the application is processed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also be careful you must remain compliant with your RO to be able to sponsor. You must be able to meet the 2 year requirement by Oct 2020.

mamillki6

Jan 7, 2019
Even my husband doenst have PR...only i have PR..since i cant leave baby alone i was planning to take her along with me.

Surexistence

Dec 17, 2018
Even my husband doenst have PR...only i have PR..since i cant leave baby alone i was planning to take her along with me.
Why not apply for a TRV for your child and when you get to Canada you sponsor your husband and your child will be a dependant in the application. They will both get the PR status

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is unfortunately not up to you whether you are able to bring your child with you to Canada. You'll have to apply for a TRV. If you don't get a TRV you can try for a TRP. If you get refused for both you'll have to go to Canada and sponsor your child and husband.