+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring american inlaws ...

dominico

Star Member
Feb 22, 2010
hello,
My wife is a permanent resident in Canada, (has been for 6+ years) She is a stay at home mom with no income. We are looking to sponsor her American parents . Am I able to co sponsor because she doesn't have the income support?
also from what I research it is somewhat of a lottery? Is that for all countries? Or is America any different?
What is the typical timeline?

Appreciate any help/advice or insight.

thanks!.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
It has been a lottery for the past number of years, but they're going back to the original system for next year, which is first come first served.

You can only sponsor your own parents, so your wife would need to be the primary sponsor, but you would be able to co-sponsor in order to meet the income requirement.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You can co-sponsor her parents application, but you will need to meet LICO for the family size (you, your wife, your children, her parents) for the previous 3 years and during the entire process. It's no longer a lottery, it's become FIFO again with a cap of 20,000 applications. They start taking them January 1 and it's the only time during the year they do PGP. No difference for American's than any other country.

dominico

Star Member
Feb 22, 2010
thanks for the quick replies. would it be smarter for lawyer to file on my behalf , that way January 1 the lawyer would be able to get the paperwork in on time?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
The trick is to get the application to IRCC on January 1. There are couriers that will (likely) charge extra to have it there early in the day. Once the cap is met, the applications following are rejected. A lawyer may or may not be able to assist....I doubt anyone can guarantee you will make the cut.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Nobody knows of course how they will implement the change (other than IRCC) but can speculate that maybe they will adopt the FIFO process previously used for the IEC program among others where as I understand it people sat at their computers waiting for the program to open at a published time and then submitted an expression of interest until the quota was exhausted. Whilst not ideal still seems more 21st century than camping out or sending a courier especially if putting fate in the hands of a third party to be somewhere, at least fate is in the applicants hands.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Nobody knows of course how they will implement the change (other than IRCC) but can speculate that maybe they will adopt the FIFO process previously used for the IEC program among others where as I understand it people sat at their computers waiting for the program to open at a published time and then submitted an expression of interest until the quota was exhausted. Whilst not ideal still seems more 21st century than camping out or sending a courier especially if putting fate in the hands of a third party to be somewhere, at least fate is in the applicants hands.
Hopefully but then people in more rural areas will have a disadvantage they don't have access to fast internet. There is no perfect system. We'll have to see what they come up with. They have increased the intake dramatically this year and next year because of the upcoming election so many people will be accepted. Not sure where the hospital beds or longterm care beds will eventually come from...