+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring adult son via Lonely Canadian exemption

thejackson5

May 12, 2018
Hi there,

I am a 30-year-old American. My father is divorced and has one other child (my brother). None of us have any relatives who are Canadian PRs/citizens.

He plans to immigrate to Canada soon. As I am 30 years old, he can not sponsor me as a dependant child. I've seen something about a Lonely Canadian exception to the rules however, where an applicant can sponsor a single family member to join them if they have no others to sponsor. Would this apply to us? Would he be able to sponsor me under this exception?

Thanks!

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi there,

I am a 30-year-old American. My father is divorced and has one other child (my brother). None of us have any relatives who are Canadian PRs/citizens.

He plans to immigrate to Canada soon. As I am 30 years old, he can not sponsor me as a dependant child. I've seen something about a Lonely Canadian exception to the rules however, where an applicant can sponsor a single family member to join them if they have no others to sponsor. Would this apply to us? Would he be able to sponsor me under this exception?

Thanks!
No, because he has other living family he can sponsor instead.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the answer.

I'd like to make sure I understand you. My father can't sponsor me because, in theory, he could sponsor my brother instead?
We need a bit more information to answer your question.
- You and your brother do not have Canadian citizenship or PR. Correct?
- How old is your brother?
- Are either of your father's parents still alive?
- Does your father have any other children in Canada with his ex?
- Does your father have any other family members in Canada? (e.g. aunt, uncle)
- Is your father currently in a common law relationship (meaning is he living with anyone)?