+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Adult Brother

Mark12345

Mar 10, 2019
I am planning to sponsor my brother who is married. I am not married neither do I have any other relatives in Canada. Is it possible to sponsor him and his family.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I am planning to sponsor my brother who is married. I am not married neither do I have any other relatives in Canada. Is it possible to sponsor him and his family.
Are your parents alive ?

“You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age, if you meet all of these conditions:

you (the person who wants to sponsor your relative) don't have a living relative you could sponsor instead, such as a:
spouse
common-law partner
conjugal partner
son or daughter
parent
grandparent
orphaned brother or sister
orphaned nephew or niece
orphaned grandchild
you (the potential sponsor) don’t have any relatives (aunt or uncle or any of the relatives listed above), who is a:
Canadian citizen
permanent resident
registered Indian under the Indian Act”

Last edited:

charliem

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2013
Doc's Request.
17-10-2013
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
March 2014
Med's Request
March 2, 2015. AIP received same day
Med's Done....
March 3, 2015.
Interview........
"Decision made": 1 April 2015
If your brother meets required above to be sponsored, he can come with family.

Horlamidey

Jul 24, 2021
Are your parents alive ?

“You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age, if you meet all of these conditions:

you (the person who wants to sponsor your relative) don't have a living relative you could sponsor instead, such as a:
spouse
common-law partner
conjugal partner
son or daughter
parent
grandparent
orphaned brother or sister
orphaned nephew or niece
orphaned grandchild
you (the potential sponsor) don’t have any relatives (aunt or uncle or any of the relatives listed above), who is a:
Canadian citizen
permanent resident
registered Indian under the Indian Act”
As of my case, my mom got her NOD last month as a protected person in Ontario and she applied for pr including me(age28) and my younger sis(age25) as her dependent children excluding the spouse as she has no intention of bringing the spouse to Canada in her pr application. She has no relative or family in Ont Canada. Is there any way we may be processed for a pr together with her or be eligible for the family sponsor later???

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
As of my case, my mom got her NOD last month as a protected person in Ontario and she applied for pr including me(age28) and my younger sis(age25) as her dependent children excluding the spouse as she has no intention of bringing the spouse to Canada in her pr application. She has no relative or family in Ont Canada. Is there any way we may be processed for a pr together with her or be eligible for the family sponsor later???
How is she eligible to sponsor you and your sister since you are over 22. You are not her dependant children.

Horlamidey

Jul 24, 2021
How is she eligible to sponsor you and your sister since you are over 22. You are not her dependant children.
I felt since she was asked to declare all the children born by her or she gave birth to in her pr application, she should include them regardless of there age especially when she has nothing to do with the spouse anymore thinking it will be left for the V.O to decide whether to process them for pr or not..

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I felt since she was asked to declare all the children born by her or she gave birth to in her pr application, she should include them regardless of there age especially when she has nothing to do with the spouse anymore thinking it will be left for the V.O to decide whether to process them for pr or not..
Yes she has to declare all children. But you are not dependants so will not get PR with her.

Horlamidey

Jul 24, 2021
Yes she has to declare all children. But you are not dependants so will not get PR with her.
Will she be able to invite us on a visitor visa after landing her pr? If yes, please what are the chances of been accepted because I heard the age factor will play a role?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Will she be able to invite us on a visitor visa after landing her pr? If yes, please what are the chances of been accepted because I heard the age factor will play a role?
The chances are based on your profile, but if she claimed refugee status then your chances are low. You need to show that you can afford to visit (funds), ties to your home country (job, investments, property, family), travel history (visa countries) etc.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I think your question is better fit in the refugee section.
Your situation is NOTHING to do with what OP posted about. It's way better to start your own post in the relevant section.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/refugees-and-asylum.56/

Any PR applicant needs to declare all family membership (and additional family members) but that doesn't mean he/she can include all of them in their PR application. (that's in general, I am not familiar with refugee application)

Only dependents (age under 22 and not married/in common law relationship) can be included in the application. You and your sister are over the age limit as dependents for your mother.

Reactions: Horlamidey

Nachiket Shah

Aug 31, 2021
Hello all,

Hope you guys can get me an answer.

I am a permanent resident of Canada and I want to sponsor my orphan brother who is 17 years of age. As per eligibility requirement, I am good to sponsor him for PR for Canada. The only issue is he doesn't have a passport, and to get a new passport he needs to get legal guardian. He is living with my uncle and aunt, I wanted to know if I should go ahead and make my uncle aunt legal guardian for my brothers passport? Will it make any issues when I am submitting his application here for sponsorship?

Please advise on who can be made legal guardian to get him a passport?

Thanks in advance.