+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring a US born baby.

willostj

Star Member
Dec 20, 2006
Hi All,
Does anyone on this site have the experience of taking a US born child across the border? The baby was born 5 months after I received PR status. I landed in August 2008. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
I am in the same situation. I got my PR in Nov last year and landed in Nov. I just had a baby in UK she is now 2 months. I am not sure how to get to canada with her as i cannot leave her with the dad as she is still breastfeeding. Any news you had on your part or anyone had any idea.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Neither question is terribly clear - willostj: sounds like your baby was born to you, a Canadian PR, in the US. Is the baby's other parent a Canadian citizen? If the baby is a dual citizen, you just need to get his/her Canadian citizenship certificate and then you can bring him/her back to Canada. If not, you will have to sponsor the baby for PR and it will be up to the IO at the Canadian port of entry as to whether or not your baby will be allowed to enter Canada before s/he has been granted PR status. And, as a PR, you will not be able to apply to sponsor your child unless you are in Canada yourself.

martha: same situation for you. It all depends on whether your baby's other parent is a Canadian citizen or not. If so, the baby is a Canadian citizen - if not, s/he needs to be sponsored and you cannot sponsor, as a PR, while outside Canada.