+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring a spouse that doesn't speak english nor french

krouss

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
I would like to know if anybody has experiences about sponsoring a spouse that doesn't speak english nor french? As I mentionned in other topic, my actual boyfriend is from Nicaragua and communicates in spanish. Is this a big barrier? He started learning french but I feel it is a slow process for him, don't think he will have made significant progress until we get the papers done.

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It's not a barrier to being sponsored but can most definitely be a barrier to living in Canada.

trikiliki

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
PARIS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/08/2016
AOR Received.
22/09/2016
File Transfer...
22/09/2016
Med's Done....
PASSED UPFRONT
Interview........
RECOMMENDED
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Agreed, its not a barrier to sponsor. But it would be a good idea if he can get enrolled in either French or English classes prior to applying. They will see he is currently trying to improve his language as a plus. You have roughly a year before he would be approved, that is ample time for him to learn basic communication skills in either language. Both are very similar to Spanish, many words are the same or at least stemming from the same root. I don't know if you also speak French, but you seem to speak English and can maybe practice with him :)
It will be so beneficial for him (and you!) when he gets here if he can speak the language (either one) in terms of finding work and integrating. If you are planning to live in or near Quebec, I'd recommend continuing with the French but for probably every other part of Canada English is more broadly spoken and would open more doors for him if he could communicate in English.