Jul 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
preparing docs
I am a naturalized Canadian (lived 10 yrs in QC) and I have been living outside Canada for almost 4 years now. I got married and had a baby in my country of residence (the baby is a naturalized Canadian because of my citizenship) and am currently on maternity leave. I want to sponsor my husband, so we can move to Montreal as a family and live, work and grow our children there.
Is it a plus, or is it a downside the fact that I am on maternity leave? I should select "2.B: Employed" on the IMM5481E, right? And how would they evaluate the amount of personal income from July last year up to now, since in my country the standard is different and in CAD it would seem like a small amount of money?

Also, I am confused about the whole QC procedure... As far as I understand, there are several steps to follow.
immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/sponsors-sponsored/apply/index.html

PLEASE, CORRECT ME WHEREVER I HAVE UNDERSTOOD WRONG WHICH DOCUMENT/APPLICATION TO SUBMIT WHEN and WHERE, as well as the FEES - are they correct?

STEP 1: Sponsorship forms from CIC's site: cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp
Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking [IMM 1344] (PDF, 417 KB) June 2014
Sponsorship Evaluation [IMM 5481] (PDF, 110 KB) April 2012
Sponsor Questionnaire [IMM 5540] (PDF, 160 KB) April 2008

+ whatever the Guide for my country states:
1 Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008) - This form is completed by you, the principal applicant.
2 Schedule A - Background/Declaration (IMM 5669) - You and each of your family members 18 years of age or older must complete their own copy of this form.
3 Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) - You and each of your family members 18 years of age or older must complete their own copy of this form.
4 Sponsored Spouse/Partner Questionnaire (IMM 5490) - Complete this questionnaire if your sponsor is your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner.

+ additional docs
• my Canadian citizenship certificate,
• national identity cards of me and my husband
• birth certificates of me and my husband
• baptismal certificates me and my husband
• other official document confirming relationship for you and each of your family members: marriage certificate, baby's birth & baptismal cert.
• my divorce cert. (I was previously married)
• TRAVEL DOCUMENTS AND PASSPORTS for me, my husband and our child
• evidence of the relationship between me and hubby: (•wedding photos,•proof that we are partners,•letters between me and him,•telephone bills showing contact - (I used to call him using a pre-paid calling card from Canada. Maybe his records from years ago would do the job?),•family photos, etc.•proof of your sponsor's visits such as airline ticket coupons, boarding passes - Who keeps those!?•copies of pages of your sponsor's passport showing entry/exit stamps,•any other evidence of your relationship and communication.)
• POLICE CERTIFICATES AND CLEARANCES
• PROOF OF MEDICAL EXAMINATION
• 8 recent photos for each member of my family and myself
• the Declaration in the guide (I, the undersigned, ...understand and accept that if I am admitted to Canada as a permanent resident...) completed by my hubby

+ fees:
Sponsor: $75
Principal applicant : $475 (that is hubby, right?)

And I send all of these to:
CPC Mississauga
P.O. Box 3000, Station A
Mississauga, ON
L5A 4N6

STEP 2: When I get the email from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) which confirms that my sponsorship is approved, then my husband should fill out the application for a Québec Selection Certificate and permanent residence. I continue the process by submitting an Undertaking application kit to the MICC.

The kit is described as:
Sponsor's guide - Family class (PDF, 540 Kb)
Undertaking application form - Family class (Dynamic PDF, 167 Kb)
Documents soumis à l'appui de la demande d'engagement (Dynamic PDF, 960 Kb)
Sponsor's or Co-signatory Spouse's Declaration of Authorization (Dynamic PDF, 91 Kb)
Guide for sponsored persons - Family class (PDF, 180 Kb)
Application for selection certificate - Family class (Dynamic PDF, 814 Kb)
Payment by credit card (Dynamic PDF, 399 Kb)
Declaration of sponsor abroad - Family class (Dynamic PDF, 424 Kb)

+ fees:
cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp#pay-fee
immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/sponsors-sponsored/apply/undertaking-application/fees-required.html
Residents of Quebec:
If you are a resident of Quebec, you will need to pay an additional processing fee to the province of Quebec when you submit your undertaking to MICC.
Right of Permanent Residence Fee: 490$
to process an undertaking application: 269$

ADDRESS: Where do I send these, since I am applying outside Canada? To the closest Embassy to my country of residence or to Quebec??

OK... that is my long and thorough question. DID I GET EVERYTHING RIGHT?

Thank you so much in advance!! :-*

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
I can only speak to your first question, as i do not have any knowledge of the quebec specific system.

being on maternity leave will not affect your ability to sponsor. there is no income requirement for spousal sponsorship, though they *may* look more closely at files with lower incomes to be sure the couple will not go on welfare down the road. This isn't to say this happens to all low income files, just to say it has popped up on occasion on the forum.

A required document for the sponsor is an Option C form. This form is available when taxes are completed for that specific year. Do you currently file your canadian taxes? If not, then i believe the other option is to supply 12 months of paystubs. Mat leave (especially in a foreign country) does NOT count. Only welfare seems to be a concern.

Any documents you can supply to prove your income over the past year i would think would be helpful. If you file taxes in the country you live, perhaps there is an Option C equivalent, or you can supply your return. I believe an explanation is also required if an option c form is not provided.

Basically CIC is confirming whether the sponsor has drawn on social welfare in the past 12 months, and the Option C form or 12 months of paystubs will show this. If you don't get paid while on mat leave, explain that in your letter, as well as when your wages will resume.

mtl514

Jul 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
preparing docs
Thank you, rhcohen2014!
Well, option C is "self-employed" which I am not... Or are you referring to another document - which one? I am to return to work, once my mat. leave is over. You say that there is no income required, but I see 3. Personal Income!? Yes, I do file my Canadian taxes every year. I send a form I get from work (from Accounting's office) and I file my taxes. How can I be judged by the amount of mat. leave income as to whether I will work or go on welfare!? It's not my fault that mat.leave benefits here are so low... If they asked for ex. whether I have ever been on welfare when in Canada and how much money I have made every year, wouldn't it be clearer what kind of person I am, since I will be living and sponsoring my husband IN CANADA, not here!? (for the rec. I have always worked, even when I was studying, and I never got EI or welfare!)

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
the option c form is NOT for self-employed. It is a detailed notice of assessment document any tax paying canadian can request directly from the CRA by calling them, no matter if they are unemployed, employed, or self employed. This form is a REQUIRED form on the sponsors' checklist, so you will need to call CRA and request the document to be mailed to you. It takes about 10-14 days to receive it. The online version usually isn't accepted by CIC. It must be the original formed mailed to you. This form will show detailed information about your income as filed by the cra for that specific year, and will show CIC whether you have used social welfare (NOT mat leave) at all. While proof of income is required, there are many people who do not make an income and successfully sponsor their spouses. Provide the information that is requested. There is a very slim to no chance of being denied eligibility as a sponsor because of being on mat leave or not making a high income.

mtl514

Jul 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
preparing docs
I appreciate the info, dear rhcohen!! I'll do that right away :)

Update: Option C will be ready at the end of this month :( Such a delay...

Edgehead78

Dec 11, 2013
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2014
AOR Received.
01-03-2014
File Transfer...
04-03-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
20-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 15-12-2014 Visa 23-12-2014
LANDED..........
07-01-2015
Just to clarify something about the fees.
You have to send those to CIC (Mississauga):
Sponsor:75$
Principal applicant: 475$
Right of permanent residence fee: 490$ ( can be sent later in process, not recommended)

And send this to MICC:
Undertaking application fee: 169$ along with the forms (kit A) to this address:

Direction du courrier, de l'encaissement et de l'évaluation comparative
285, rue Notre-Dame Ouest, 4e étage
Montréal (Québec) H2Y 1T8
CANADA

All the Québec's undertaking applications has to be sent at this address, don't send at your local embassy or Mississauga, they will send it back to you.

mtl514

Jul 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
preparing docs
BTW, do I need to translate every single letter or e-mail from me to my husband and back? Can I scan and send the photos printed on A4, instead of sending the original photos? Or do I need to develop new ones?

mtl514

Jul 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
preparing docs
Edgehead78 said:
Right of permanent residence fee: 490$ ( can be sent later in process, not recommended)

And send this to MICC:

CANADA

All the Québec's undertaking applications has to be sent at this address, don't send at your local embassy or Mississauga, they will send it back to you.
Thanx, Edge!
So, to summarize: I send step 1 to Mississauga. Then, they give me their "yes" and I send their confirmation letter together with the Undertaking kit to Montreal. And Mississauga will transfer the file to our local Embassy... Sooo... what do we send to the local Embassy who will continue processing our file? The answer from Montreal? Or...?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
mtl514 said:
Can I scan and send the photos printed on A4, instead of sending the original photos? Or do I need to develop new ones?
yes, for sure. i created powerpoint slides, put 4-5 pics on each page, and printed it out on regular size printer paper. as long as the pictures are clear quality, then submit them the easiest way for yourself.

Mrs.KOR

Feb 22, 2014
Just a small correction: Quebec undertaking fee is 269$

Edgehead78 said:

And send this to MICC:

CANADA

Edgehead78

Dec 11, 2013
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2014
AOR Received.
01-03-2014
File Transfer...
04-03-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
20-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
07-01-2015
mtl514 said:
Thanx, Edge!
So, to summarize: I send step 1 to Mississauga. Then, they give me their "yes" and I send their confirmation letter together with the Undertaking kit to Montreal. And Mississauga will transfer the file to our local Embassy... Sooo... what do we send to the local Embassy who will continue processing our file? The answer from Montreal? Or...?
Yes you are correct in your steps. Mississauga will take care of sending your application to your local visa office, MICC will take care of sending your CSQ to your local visa office. MICC will send the sponsor 2 copies of the CSQ, one for the applicant, one for the visa office if ever they request it.
Some people send a scan of CSQ to the visa office using "case specific inquiry", just to make sure it gets through.
You have virtually nothing to do but wait after submitting the CSQ forms.

Edgehead78

Dec 11, 2013
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2014
AOR Received.
01-03-2014
File Transfer...
04-03-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
20-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
07-01-2015
Mrs.KOR said:
Just a small correction: Quebec undertaking fee is 269$
My bad! You are right. I used the number she put in her post. Thanks for correcting. :D

mtl514

Jul 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
preparing docs
Edgehead78 said:
Yes you are correct in your steps. Mississauga will take care of sending your application to your local visa office, MICC will take care of sending your CSQ to your local visa office. MICC will send the sponsor 2 copies of the CSQ, one for the applicant, one for the visa office if ever they request it.
Some people send a scan of CSQ to the visa office using "case specific inquiry", just to make sure it gets through.
You have virtually nothing to do but wait after submitting the CSQ forms.
OK, great! Now I see clearly :) And I will send a copy too, just in case.

mtl514

Jul 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
preparing docs
rhcohen2014 said:
yes, for sure. i created powerpoint slides, put 4-5 pics on each page, and printed it out on regular size printer paper. as long as the pictures are clear quality, then submit them the easiest way for yourself.
Ok, cool! But what about the letters and e-mails - do I have to legally translate them? There are so many... I have letters from 2000 and letters and emails from 2009-2014. My hubby is the love of my life. Our story is similar to the Notebook one :D We met in 1999 and fell in love. In 2000, I left for Canada with my parents. We reunited virtually in 2009 and physically in 2010. There are a ton of photos, letters, emails, greeting cards... How many do I pick? It would be easier to send a scrap book, hahaha

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
mtl514 said:
Ok, cool! But what about the letters and e-mails - do I have to legally translate them? There are so many... I have letters from 2000 and letters and emails from 2009-2014. My hubby is the love of my life. Our story is similar to the Notebook one :D We met in 1999 and fell in love. In 2000, I left for Canada with my parents. We reunited virtually in 2009 and physically in 2010. There are a ton of photos, letters, emails, greeting cards... How many do I pick? It would be easier to send a scrap book, hahaha
is everything in a language other than french or english? I don't have experience with translating.

I would say to take glimpses of each year and include important dates/ events in each year. It's not good to overwhelm the officer. As long as when someone looks at the information it's obvious the relationship is ongoing. I don't think it's necessary to send them everything.