+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring a spouse and cousin

lemonfever

Dec 1, 2009
hi,

i am new here and like many is very relief to find an awesome site where people with similar needs can share ideas from experiences. some many answers and i am sure mine has been answered to somewhere. forgive me if i repeat them again.

i have two questions and would be grateful for any insight.

i became a PR june this year, so basically less than six months old in canada. i started working some 3 months ago paying under 33k/yr.

1. my boyfriend
my boyfriend is not from the same c3 as me and he lives in england. we've been in a relationship for 1+ and we are planning on getting married early next yr, so he can move here as well. i will like to sponsor him as my spouse obviously.
2. my cousin
i have a cousin back home who helped me a lot (btw, i am from central africa). as i do not have any other siblings and i did not know my father (my mom passed away a few years back), i would like to help my cousin as well, as she is a blood relative. i am marrying from a diff c3 and would like to also have some blood relative with me here in canada.
do you think it is possible to sponsor them both. from what i read on the CIC website, i could only sponsor a cousin if i am ALONE. i am thinking of sending an application for my cousin before i do my wedding and then later sponsor my husband when we get married but i don't know if this is possible as it will be like a 2 months time difference. does any one know if the Quebec province stance?
how best can i manage this situation.
would appreciate you ideas and feedback.
peace

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
From the CIC webpage:
You can sponsor:

• parents
  • grandparents
  • brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
  • another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions (see Note below)
  • accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).

Note: you can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Indian Act.
So, from the looks of it you can't sponsor your spouse and your cousin... :(

lemonfever

Dec 1, 2009
Thanks.

it does seem so but we are not married yet. would it jeopardise my spouse' application if i send my cousin's first, as then i won't be married and then send my spouse's later after the marriage?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lemonfever said:
Thanks.

it does seem so but we are not married yet. would it jeopardise my spouse' application if i send my cousin's first, as then i won't be married and then send my spouse's later after the marriage?
You know that you can only sponsor your cousin if your parents and grandparents are deceased?

PMM