+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring a mexican

portugalpat

Sep 3, 2010
I am engaged to a Mexican and we met on the internet over a year ago.
He is currently residing in the States where we will be getting married in a few weeks. I live in Canada.
(We wanted to get married in Canada but he was denied a vistors visa.)
I will then begin the sponsorship process after our marriage.
My questions for anybody who can help are:

1. Is it going to be a problem that we met on the internet? (Our relationship has been mostly long distance...wonderful but limited with physical time together as our jobs don't allow for it.)

2. Is it worth to apply for a vistor's visa for him to come and see while we are waiting for the process to go through?

3. How long is generally this process going to take?

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
Hi!

I will try to answer your questions the best I can :)

1. This is not a problem, as long as you can prove your relationship is genuine. Many people nowadays meet online, you just have to make sure you have enough proofs. This is definately the longest part of the process, gathering the proofs!

2. It is worth it only if his situation has changed and you can convince CIC that he will return to his home country/USA after his stay.

3. It depends, if he applies through Mexico City it will take longer than applying through Buffalo. If he has been allowed to the USA for a year or more, then he is eligible to apply through Buffalo. If he manages to come over to Canada with you, he can also apply inland but it is not recommended. He can still wait out his outland process while visiting you in Canada.

Hope this helps!

I

iarblue

Has he been legally permitted in the US?Does he hold a US visa for 1 year or more if so he can apply through Buffalo.You might want to get the medical done just before you apply then order his mexican police report.Just make sure you dont oreder the police reports to early they expire in 3 months so you want to get it just before you send off the app to mississauga.
If he can get a visit visa then yes he can come stay here with you just make sure he keeps his visist visa legal by extensions.He has to prove he needs to go back to the US even if hes not intending to.(a job,a lease,enough money in the bank to support himself while he is here.
The process through buffalo all together will be about 10 months.Through Mexico a little longer.
If he gets in with the visa and you decide to do an inland it is a bit longer in the process but being together makes it a bit easier,if he gets here he can do his medical here and order his police reports and have them sent to your address.He will also ned to do an FBI if he was in the US more than 6 months this you might want to do asap as they take a bit of time.
Where you get married is up to you,if he gets here then you can marry here,or in the US or Mexico its up to you.
And i think likely about 50% of the people on here have met through the internet or other ways that are not traditional,its up to you to prove you are in love.(pictures,plane flights,vacations,hotels,parties,cards,emails,phone bills,and anything else you have to prove it was the two of you).

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
portugalpat said:
Wow! Thank you both so much! It is encouraging to read your words!!
portugalpat: apparently your inbox is full.