+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring a family member who may become an illegal immigrant.

Kapumit

Feb 1, 2020
Hi there,

I have brother and he is desperate to come to Canada and is pressuring me to send him a letter of invitation for his visitor visa. I am scared that once he is here, he would not go back and will stay illegally. I am a permanent resident and I am on my way to become a citizen. I don’t want to get screwed because of his actions. As a sponsor or an invite from my side, I don’t want to get into trouble. Can some one help me in understanding this if I should be worried if he becomes an illegal immigrant/resident & would this impact me!?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Hi there,

I have brother and he is desperate to come to Canada and is pressuring me to send him a letter of invitation for his visitor visa. I am scared that once he is here, he would not go back and will stay illegally. I am a permanent resident and I am on my way to become a citizen. I don’t want to get screwed because of his actions. As a sponsor or an invite from my side, I don’t want to get into trouble. Can some one help me in understanding this if I should be worried if he becomes an illegal immigrant/resident & would this impact me!?
1. It would effect any further of your relatives that wish to visit Canada that you supply a support letter to.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi there,

Then just tell him no, if you feel he’s using you for this purpose. And yes, he’s using you

Reactions: bellaluna

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi there,

As you already strongly suspect that he intends to commit immigration offences, aiding him now could make you a willing accomplice. Don't do it.

Last edited:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If you have other family members you may want to invite in the future, his claiming asylum would probably make that impossible. Should you provide a invitation, it’s unlikely it would have an impact on you or your citizenship. However, as stated above, knowing his intent could be seen as aiding and abetting (also not likely).

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I might backfire in other ways later on (see the answers above). If he does not want just to visit you, tell him no.