+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring a family from Yemen

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello

A friend of mine is asking about the best way to sponsor his family from Yemen as refugee, he’s not a Canadian or PR yet!

There are people who’s willing to sponsor the family based on G5 (Group of 5 Canadian or PR) what are the requirements for this? Any one experience this before? Seen it happen? I know that they first have to outside Yemen which they will manage to do somehow.

As most of you know Yemen is currently a war zone and UN declares highest-level humanitarian emergency in Yemen.

Any ideas or thought would be appreciated

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They not only have to be outside of Yemen but also have to be recognized as refugees by either UNHCR or a similar referal organization. It's not sufficient that the UN generally regards Yemen as a priority zone. They themselves need to be individually and officially recognized as refugees. So one recommendation would be to start looking into what it will take to get themselves officially recognized as refugees once they are outside of Yemen (obviously this isn't something they can do until they have left the country).

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
They not only have to be outside of Yemen but also have to be recognized as refugees by either UNHCR or a similar referal organization. It's not sufficient that the UN generally regards Yemen as a priority zone. They themselves need to be individually and officially recognized as refugees. So one recommendation would be to start looking into what it will take to get themselves officially recognized as refugees once they are outside of Yemen (obviously this isn't something they can do until they have left the country).
thanks Scylla,
What does it take to be recognize by UNHCR? is there a form to apply for place to visit once they leave Yemen.
Also, what about the Group of 5 Canadian, they don't need to be recognize as refugee? please correct me if I have wrong information

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ottawa-applicant said:
thanks Scylla,
What does it take to be recognize by UNHCR? is there a form to apply for place to visit once they leave Yemen.
Also, what about the Group of 5 Canadian, they don't need to be recognize as refugee? please correct me if I have wrong information
The Group of 5 still need to be recognized by UNHCR or a similar org. There is an exception in place, but it only applies to refugees from Syria and Iraq (not Yemen).

Unfortunately I don't know how the UN's process works. I'm sure that info is on their web site somewhere...