+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring a Dependant Child

LBDJ

Star Member
Nov 22, 2017
Markham, ON
I wanted to ask if anyone has the link to the application to sponsor my husbands daughter from the Dominican Republic. My husband and I are going through the appeal process right now for his PR but I wanted to know when we can sponsor his daughter. We did already add her as a dependant on the application but what would the next steps be and approximately how long the process would take. She is 2 years old and will be 3 in November of this year. My husband does have custody of his daughter (not on paper) but the mother will allow consent for her to exit the country if that makes anything easier.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I wanted to ask if anyone has the link to the application to sponsor my husbands daughter from the Dominican Republic. My husband and I are going through the appeal process right now for his PR but I wanted to know when we can sponsor his daughter. We did already add her as a dependant on the application but what would the next steps be and approximately how long the process would take. She is 2 years old and will be 3 in November of this year. My husband does have custody of his daughter (not on paper) but the mother will allow consent for her to exit the country if that makes anything easier.
Have you formally adopted her?

You can only sponsor her if she is YOUR dependent.

If you have not formally adopted her, then she can only be sponsored as part of your husband's PR application - or your husband can sponsor her separately after he becomes a PR.

LBDJ

Star Member
Nov 22, 2017
Markham, ON
Well ideally my husband would come here to Canada and then sponsor her as she is already on his application when we filed.
No me personally have not adopted her.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Well ideally my husband would come here to Canada and then sponsor her as she is already on his application when we filed.
No me personally have not adopted her.
Unfortunately that means you cannot sponsor her. You will have to wait until your husband's PR application is approved - she will receive a PR visa at the same time as he does.

LBDJ

Star Member
Nov 22, 2017
Markham, ON
But on our application we mentioned that she will not come the same time as him I believe if I recall correctly. But if he does get his PR visa after that at any point can he file for her to come here?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
But on our application we mentioned that she will not come the same time as him I believe if I recall correctly. But if he does get his PR visa after that at any point can he file for her to come here?
Did she get medical exam and did he provided her information in your husband's PR application?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If you win the appeal, the app will be sent back for processing. At that point, you can request to change the daughter to accompanying.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If a natural born Canadian adopted you, is there age limit to apply for PR?
Yes - there are age limits. You must be under 22 to be sponsored.

However it's not that simple. Adoption doesn't automatically mean that the Canadian can sponsor you for PR. First of all, you almost always have to be an orphan with both parents deceased. Secondly, you must have been adopted by a certain age in order for the adoption to be recognized by Canada for immigration purposes. IRCC will also look at the adoption to ensure it's a genuine adoption and that someone wasn't simply adopted to facilitate entry to Canada.

Based on your posts you are 25. So you are far too old to be sponsored through adoption. You will have to qualify for PR on your own through an economic immigration stream like express entry.

Reactions: YVR123

gladryeann

Jul 1, 2018
Yes - there are age limits. You must be under 22 to be sponsored.

However it's not that simple. Adoption doesn't automatically mean that the Canadian can sponsor you for PR. First of all, you almost always have to be an orphan with both parents deceased. Secondly, you must have been adopted by a certain age in order for the adoption to be recognized by Canada for immigration purposes. IRCC will also look at the adoption to ensure it's a genuine adoption and that someone wasn't simply adopted to facilitate entry to Canada.

Based on your posts you are 25. So you are far too old to be sponsored through adoption. You will have to qualify for PR on your own through an economic immigration stream like express entry.
Thank you for a very straight forward, and helpful answer. I have no further question. Thank you so much for your time and effort.