+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsored with the ultimate goal of PR

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
We are trying to bring my brother in law here from Philippines with the ultimate goal of PR. I am trying to see the process and what exactly is needed from the employer ans how he will be on a path to PR once he is here.

My brother in law graduated in May 2021 as a IT tech and my contact here in Canada is willing to hire him as his IT tech at his company. How will he get PR after, what exactly does he need? I read that to sponsor him right away, he needs to have relevant work experience, which he only has about 3 months so far in Philippines.

Also, important is, does he need IELTS? if the employer does not require it, does he still need to have it?

So basically my questions are, what does he need to provide and how can he get PR after being here to work?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We are trying to bring my brother in law here from Philippines with the ultimate goal of PR. I am trying to see the process and what exactly is needed from the employer ans how he will be on a path to PR once he is here.

My brother in law graduated in May 2021 as a IT tech and my contact here in Canada is willing to hire him as his IT tech at his company. How will he get PR after, what exactly does he need? I read that to sponsor him right away, he needs to have relevant work experience, which he only has about 3 months so far in Philippines.

Also, important is, does he need IELTS? if the employer does not require it, does he still need to have it?

So basically my questions are, what does he need to provide and how can he get PR after being here to work?
- The employer needs to get an approved LMIA. Have they done that yet?
- Yes, IELTS is very important. Your brother in law does not need to do IELTS for the work permit however this will be mandatory for PR. He should aim to score as high as possible.
- He will need to get ECA done for his education to be recognized for the PR process.
- Since he only has 3 months of work experience, he wouldn't qualify to apply for PR now. Most likely he will need to work in Canada for a full year before he will be eligible. Note that being eligible does not guarantee he will be selected. It just means he will qualify to be considered.

joeythecat

Jun 16, 2016
- The employer needs to get an approved LMIA. Have they done that yet?
- Yes, IELTS is very important. Your brother in law does not need to do IELTS for the work permit however this will be mandatory for PR. He should aim to score as high as possible.
- He will need to get ECA done for his education to be recognized for the PR process.
- Since he only has 3 months of work experience, he wouldn't qualify to apply for PR now. Most likely he will need to work in Canada for a full year before he will be eligible. Note that being eligible does not guarantee he will be selected. It just means he will qualify to be considered.
wow thank you for the quick and detailed response!

The LMIA is not and issue, the employer can get that done. we are just in the first stages of this.

Is there anything else missing that we need for this process? are these the basic steps of this process of getting him to Canada.

Employer get LMIA and sponsors BIN (brother in law)
What does BIN need to show/prove to be approved for this?
BIN comes here and starts work.
after at least 1 year of work he gets the Educational credential assessment and applies through Express Entry

For the express entry, he will need the highest IELTS score he can, his sister lives in Ontario, he has a bachelors of science in IT. I put these facts into the CRS calculator he only has a score of around 375. What can he do to raise that, higher IELTS score and more canadian work years?

Also what happens when he is working here, can the employer just keep extending him until he gets his score high enough?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
wow thank you for the quick and detailed response!

The LMIA is not and issue, the employer can get that done. we are just in the first stages of this.

Is there anything else missing that we need for this process? are these the basic steps of this process of getting him to Canada.

Employer get LMIA and sponsors BIN (brother in law)
What does BIN need to show/prove to be approved for this?
BIN comes here and starts work.
after at least 1 year of work he gets the Educational credential assessment and applies through Express Entry

For the express entry, he will need the highest IELTS score he can, his sister lives in Ontario, he has a bachelors of science in IT. I put these facts into the CRS calculator he only has a score of around 375. What can he do to raise that, higher IELTS score and more canadian work years?

Also what happens when he is working here, can the employer just keep extending him until he gets his score high enough?
LMIA approvals are not that straight forward. The very first step will be to see if the LMIA is approved.

The employer obtains the approved LMIA only. The employer does not "sponsor" your brother in law. Your brother in law uses the approved LMIA to apply for a closed work permit. Your brother in law will want to show ties to his home country (e.g. property ideally and assets). He will also want to show his past work experience.

His score is very low right now. In terms of ways to increase the score, if he is truly serious about immigrating to Canada, then I would recommend he dedicate time to researching the Express Entry points structure to understand the various options for increasing his score. If he is in fact serious and wants to do this himself, then time to put in the research hours.

The employer can apply to extend his job. This will require another LMIA (LMIAs are never guaranteed to be approved). I would not say that I agree with the statement that an employer can just keep extending him until he gets a score high enough. It's always possible an LMIA may not be approved depending on market conditions. Again, if your brother in law is really really serious about immigrating, he needs to be playing an active role in strengthening his profile and needs to go the research on how immigration to Canada works.