+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor wife after receiving my PR

rick anne

Mar 7, 2014
hello everyone,

I am a work permit and have already applied for my PR, got my file number 2 months ago.

I am going to get married after 8/9 months, by the time I should receive my PR. Can anyone suggest what would be the best way for me to sponsor PR to my wife,

many thanks in advance,

Rick

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
rick anne said:
hello everyone,

I am a work permit and have already applied for my PR, got my file number 2 months ago.

I am going to get married after 8/9 months, by the time I should receive my PR. Can anyone suggest what would be the best way for me to sponsor PR to my wife,

many thanks in advance,

Rick
The easiest and fastest route to sponsor your soon-to-be spouse would be including her in your PR application after getting married.
If your PR application gets finalized before you get married you will have to take the family class route which will take forever! :)

rick anne

Mar 7, 2014
Thanks for the reply Toby :)

You said "after getting married.", does that mean i have to take back my application now & re-submit the application after marriage? (to be honest, i am little scared to do this. I've read some horror stories about people's refusal in another threads, felt so sorry for them)

I was going through the past forums and found another way - let my PR get finalized, bring her here on a visitor record, apply for open work permit, and then sponsor her while she is here. Can you advise if this is viable please :)

And, a small doubt, I don't understand 'applying open work permit' part in between, i feel this may not be necessary. So I am thinking of cutting this out, and going straight to sponsorship while she's here on visitor permit, Can someone clear my doubt please,

Thank you,
Rick

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
rick anne said:
Thanks for the reply Toby :)

You said "after getting married.", does that mean i have to take back my application now & re-submit the application after marriage? (to be honest, i am little scared to do this. I've read some horror stories about people's refusal in another threads, felt so sorry for them)

I was going through the past forums and found another way - let my PR get finalized, bring her here on a visitor record, apply for open work permit, and then sponsor her while she is here. Can you advise if this is viable please :)

And, a small doubt, I don't understand 'applying open work permit' part in between, i feel this may not be necessary. So I am thinking of cutting this out, and going straight to sponsorship while she's here on visitor permit, Can someone clear my doubt please,

Thank you,
Rick
You don't have to withdraw your current application. If you include her in your application while it's still in process, you can expect
to get PR status at the same time.
However, if your application gets finalized then yes, you would have to sponsor her ( family class sponsorship ) which will take
a long time, during which she wouldn't be able to work, without proper authorization.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Current processing times for sponsorship applications are about 30 days for the
assessment of the sponsor ( you ) and about 15 months for the assessment of the person
sponsored ( your future wife ). So you will have to find a way for her to stay in Canada for the
duration of about 16 months, if you want to be with her.

I would suggest reading into this forum for the family class sponsorship:

>> http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/family-class-sponsorship-b5.0/

gracy016

Star Member
Jun 21, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-22-13
Doc's Request.
12-30-13 (RPRF & Biodata)
AOR Received.
04-30-13
Med's Request
12-31-13
Med's Done....
01-08-14
Passport Req..
02-21-14
VISA ISSUED...
02-28-14
LANDED..........
03-09-14
rick anne said:
hello everyone,

many thanks in advance,

Rick
Go ahead with your application first. Your application will be done at least 11months to 1 year. By the time they send you medical request, they will ask you if you have change your status. Then that's the time you send your wife's application forms. Yes, it will delay your application but this is the way I know some people did and they got approved anyway. If you want to be together after marriage, let her apply for a visitor's visa.

rick anne

Mar 7, 2014
gracy016 said:
Go ahead with your application first. Your application will be done at least 11months to 1 year. By the time they send you medical request, they will ask you if you have change your status. Then that's the time you send your wife's application forms. Yes, it will delay your application but this is the way I know some people did and they got approved anyway. If you want to be together after marriage, let her apply for a visitor's visa.
Thanks for the reply Gracy :). A few questions,

1. Once I get married, I'll let her apply for visitor's visa. When she arrives, can I apply for her sponsorship?
2. If I were to go the other way and submit the sponsor forms with my medicals, you said it'll delay my application. Is this delay going to be another year? (to process her application).

Thank you,
Rick

iamroth

Champion Member
Jan 26, 2013
Category........
App. Filed.......
23-03-2018
1. Yes you can apply for her when she is in Canada.
2. If you add your spouse in the middle of processing, it will delay your application. I am not sure how long that delay will be. Though I feel couple of months is a good bet.

rick anne

Mar 7, 2014
iamroth said:
1. Yes you can apply for her when she is in Canada.
2. If you add your spouse in the middle of processing, it will delay your application. I am not sure how long that delay will be. Though I feel couple of months is a good bet.
Thank you iamroth :)

rick anne

Mar 7, 2014
One more question, not related to the title, but,

Checking my status online says "Application received on Nov 15, 2013". Does that mean, my 1 year processing time counter started from Nov 15th, or from the day (Dec 22nd, 2013) I received my file number?

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
rick anne said:
One more question, not related to the title, but,

Checking my status online says "Application received on Nov 15, 2013". Does that mean, my 1 year processing time counter started from Nov 15th, or from the day (Dec 22nd, 2013) I received my file number?
From Nov 15, 2013.

lalithaditya215

Star Member
Nov 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2013
AOR Received.
Jan-07-2014
Med's Request
May-29-2014
Med's Done....
June-29-2014
Passport Req..
July-17-2014
VISA ISSUED...
Sep-02-20114
rick anne said:
1. Once I get married, I'll let her apply for visitor's visa. When she arrives, can I apply for her sponsorship?
2. If I were to go the other way and submit the sponsor forms with my medicals, you said it'll delay my application. Is this delay going to be another year? (to process her application).

Thank you,
Rick
Can you check with any other PR holders, who got married after the PR. As far i know , once you get PR you cannot bring your spouse on visitor visa. You should apply for PR from your spouse's country and once she get PR she can come here.

Boyzone

Star Member
Sep 23, 2013
rick anne said:
hello everyone,

many thanks in advance,

Rick
Not sure under which class you have applied but, looking under CEC category processing times are getting faster. This is because maybe CIC is trying to reduce the backlog. So, I guess you should be getting your Medical request in next 4-5 months. And if everything is clear you should be PR in one month after that.

Sponsoring your wife after that under Family class as iam_toby said will be long process and you need to wait more time. My suggestion would be if you could do court marriage and get the marriage certificate and add her to your application before getting your MR would be ideal situation. This way even if the application gets delayed it would not be more than the Family class. And, then you can do the marriage according to the rituals later anytime. Again, this is my suggestion, final thought is yours.

Cheers!

ManojG

Nov 12, 2013
Hi guys,

I reside in Canada on work permit (Valid till: Sep,2015). I applied for PR under CEC in February, 2014. I visited India recently and got engaged. Then we did court marriage after a week. We did not have a traditional marriage ceremony. We are planning this ceremony in January 2015.
I am planning to add her to my ongoing PR application. (I dont have many proofs of our relationships as this relationship is very recent)

PR application results will take more than a year. So, I am wondering if I can apply dependent work permit for her or no? Or visitor visa is the only way to go? We want to be together as soon as possible.

Any suggestions are welcome. Please guide me.

kumar26

Feb 1, 2014
Since u r legally married U can apply for a "open Work Permit" OR "Visitor" visa for ur wife on the basis of ur current work permit. This way she can come to Canada ASAP. At the same time you should also inform CIC that you are married now and CIC will send u details of how to add ur spouse to ur PR file.

I am in the same state as you are. I applied for CEC PR in May 2013, got medical request in Jan 2014. I did my medical in mid FEB 2014. I got married in March 2014. Immediately after the marriage I applied for my Wife's OWP on the basis of my current work permit from India. She got the OWP approved in 33 days from India. Simultaneously I have also sent all the requested docs to CIC for adding her in my CEC file. Still waiting for next response form CIC.

I would suggest u should apply for OWP for ur wife from India as Visitor visa has lottt of rejection. This way she can come over and stay with u and ur PR will also be under processing.