+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SPONSOR SPOUSE WHILE LIVING IN ANOTHER COUNTRY WITH HIM? *I'm a BORN CAD citizen

tdelyte

Star Member
Jul 29, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
ANKARA, TURKEY
App. Filed.......
February 8th, 2011 (CIC MISS)
File Transfer...
April 1st, 2011
Med's Request
RE-DO December 15th, 2011
Med's Done....
December 22, 2011
Interview........
May 10th, 2011- PASSED and informed the same day :-)
Passport Req..
January 24th, 2012-(phone call from Embassy) "medical has been received" updated on ECAS on December 19th
VISA ISSUED...
January 25th, 2012- Drop off PPT in the morning and told to come back in afternoon to pick-up PPT with Canadian VISA :-)
Hi there, I had a quick question (I've been hearing different answers so I thought Id come on here and ask as you guys seem to know the correct answers)

We are going to start a very lengthly process of sponsoring my spouse (who will require an ARC- God help us!! lol).
We recently left Canada as a family (my daughter and spouse) and live in Turkey now as we were told this is going to be a LONG process because its not a straight forward sponsorship (ARC required).- my spouse was born in Turkey so we're sponsoring from here.
When filling out the sponsorship application do I put my Turkish address (and will all correspondance be sent to Turkey?) or should I use a friends Canadian address? I was told I AM ALLOWED to sponsor him AND live out of Canada as I am a born canadian citizen....is this correct? How should I handle all the correspondance? Mail it to friends in canada or will they mail everything (including first stage of approval from CPC mississauga) to my new turkish home? Any info would be great!! Thank you in advance adn wish us luck :)

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
I am doing the same thign with my wife: we live in China, the CIC-Mississauga letter approving me as sponsor came to me in China, the first letter from the visa ofice in Hong Kong came to me in China.

You are doing the same thing from Turkey. No problem.

Good luck.

tdelyte

Star Member
Jul 29, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
ANKARA, TURKEY
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
April 1st, 2011
Med's Request
Med's Done....
December 22, 2011
Interview........
Passport Req..
January 24th, 2012-(phone call from Embassy) "medical has been received" updated on ECAS on December 19th
VISA ISSUED...
January 25th, 2012- Drop off PPT in the morning and told to come back in afternoon to pick-up PPT with Canadian VISA :-)
toby said:
I am doing the same thign with my wife: we live in China, the CIC-Mississauga letter approving me as sponsor came to me in China, the first letter from the visa ofice in Hong Kong came to me in China.

You are doing the same thing from Turkey. No problem.

Good luck.
Thanks alot Toby :) I feel a little better.....so you never used a Canadian address at all? You just used your chinese address right from the start?....I keep getting this feeling its not allowed- im sure its because someone told me that and now I have it stuck in my head :-(

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a Canadian citizen, you are allowed to sponsor a spouse while living outside Canada but you do have to convince immigration that you intend to move to Canada when your spouse gets the PR. Such proof could include acceptance to university, job offer, having arranged housing etc. or at the very least supporting letters from your family and friends stating they know of your plans to move to Canada and will help you by letting you stay with them while you look for an apartment, help you find a job or whatever is needed.

tdelyte

Star Member
Jul 29, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
ANKARA, TURKEY
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
April 1st, 2011
Med's Request
Med's Done....
December 22, 2011
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Leon said:
As a Canadian citizen, you are allowed to sponsor a spouse while living outside Canada but you do have to convince immigration that you intend to move to Canada when your spouse gets the PR. Such proof could include acceptance to university, job offer, having arranged housing etc. or at the very least supporting letters from your family and friends stating they know of your plans to move to Canada and will help you by letting you stay with them while you look for an apartment, help you find a job or whatever is needed.
Thanks alot Leon!! With all the hassle of applying outside of Canada and having to submit an ARC (which I heard can take FOREVER) having a job back home is pretty much the only thing I have- I have a permanant job in Canada that allowed me upto five years off and once all of this is done then I come back to Canada and start work :) The question is WILL THIS PROCESS take longer than 5 years?? I heard the ARC causes ALOT of problems...:-(

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't really know about how long an ARC takes but simple outland sponsorship usually takes less than a year.

Cdnshaz

May 15, 2008
As long as all the i's are dotted and the t's crossed, and your spouse is not a paedophile or axe murder you should be ok.
As you were already in Canada not sure why you left you could have sponsered him in country, little longer but still not 5 yrs!
Think someone is filling your head full of crap..
Outland is usually around 8 months, give or take a month, we had my husbands in 5 months..we are going home to Ont in March

Have no idea what ARC is

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
ARC is Authorization to return to Canada. And if they are going to need one, it probably means the husband was deported from Canada or close to it, meaning there were issues with his status in Canada and it was right to not apply inland as he'd probably not be able to stay in Canada until the application finished processing and then the application would've been lost and he'd have had to apply outland anyway.

Some cases do take very long, but I don't expect yours would take longer then 5 years. Maybe 2 years, but not 5.

When applying, I would include a letter explaining that you have a job waiting for you in Canada and if you have anything else in Canada (if you a house there or if you intend to stay with relatives upon returning there, you can include a letter from them saying they know of your plans). Add to that that because you expect the application will take a long time, you have not made any more solid plans, but as the processing of the app comes to completion, you can provide more evidence if needed (for example people also include evidence that they are preparing to leave the country where they live, like showing they're selling their house there, quitting a job or whatever).

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
Turkey actually prefers to send correspondence to Turkish addresses and email. if they figure out that recipient's email works they handle correspondence by email only.