+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor Spouse - Post graduate work permit

Tweety15

Sep 15, 2011
I guess it's because I'm a newbee, the system does not allow me to send a personal message.

So this is for someone who sent me a message directly.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
It's good to know there is a possibility that my husband can stay in Canada at least as a visitor for the same duration as my PGWP.

mwan

Star Member
Jul 30, 2006
Hi Tweety15

When your spouse got the refusal letter - did they mention whether he can remain in Canada to the validity of his current open work permit? (the one he got while you were studying?) I am wondering if when we re-apply and the current open work permit is not expired yet but have received a letter of refusal if that means you are now out of status or not?

thanks.

arsenal23

Sep 20, 2011
Hi,

I am in the same situation. I applied for my spouse OWP 2 months back without my job letter and they refused saying "Spouses of PGWPP holders are not eligible for OWP"
So I called CIC about 5 times and every time I was informed that I need to reapply and this time provide a job letter that shows I am employed as a skilled worker and then my spouse can get an OWP. I am confused. I have talked to 2 consultants and 1 immigration lawyer. and no one was sure about the rule.
My spouse is from Visa exempt country and her visitor status is expiring next month but the immigration lawyer suggested that my spouse flag pole at the border and apply for the OWP at the border, And this time take my job letter and all other supporting documents.
I hope the lawyer is correct as we are going to the border today to try this out. Worse case is that they do not give my spouse a work permit but at least her stay will be extended for 6 more months or till the expiry of my work permit.
I am really appalled and frightened by the misinformation/foggy information provided by cic/hrdsc/canadian consulates in regards to this category.
I will let you guys know by tonight as to what happened.

HTH

mwan

Star Member
Jul 30, 2006
Hey good luck with your flag pole...sounds almost exciting can't wait to hear if you get the spouse owp.. If you can please ask them to confirm for you that a pgwp can indeed get a owp with skill level job and finally put our minds at rest. However you are the next person who has confirmed that CIC does indeed tell us that we can re-apply with our job offer showing our skill level. All the other speculation has come from ourselves 2nd guessing the information that both you and I got directly from CIC. keep us posted. Good luck today!

Tweety15

Sep 15, 2011
Hi mwan,

The refusal letter says my husband's status in Canada is valid until the expiry date of the current work permit. So he can continue working a couple more months.

BTW I still cannot send a personal message and don't know how many more I need to post to be able to send one...

I'm crossing my fingers for arsenal23 and waiting for good news.

Sep 21, 2011
Re: Sponsor Spouse

Hi there mate,

Had a question regarding spusal visa and international student visa. saw you in canada visa forums and might ask you. shall I ?

regards
Ben

arsenal23

Sep 20, 2011
Sorry could not update last night. Our lawyer advised us to go to the border during business hours so we get a knowledgeable immigration officer.

Anyways...Good News! we went to the POE this morning around 10 am and my spouse was granted an Open work permit at the border based on my PGWPP.
She provided the officer:
my WP,
marriage certificate
my employers job letter,
copy of the specific NOC (printed from hrdc website)
letter of support from me
my bank statement
printed out copy of the following page (canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/visas/spouses-conjoints.aspx?view=d)

My spouse did not specifically ask if she is getting the work permit based on my PGWPP or my being a skilled worker. But I hope if you do the same you should be able to get the spousal OWP as well. Please note my spouse is from a visa exempt country and so she was able to get the process done at the border.

I wish all of you very good luck and I hope our experience helps you as well!

Have a nice day!
arsenal23

Tweety15

Sep 15, 2011
Congratulations, arsenal23 !
Thank you for posting your success story!
You must be a lot relieved.
I'm so excited to learn that your spouse got a open work permit.

I'd like to ask your some questions, arsenal23 .

1. what was written in your job offer letter other than the fact that you're employed as a killed worker?
ex. how long you've been working in the position in the company...how much your salary is...your past experience...etc.

2. Which border office did you go to? Buffalo? Seattle? or else?

I'd appreciate your help. Thank you.

mwan

Star Member
Jul 30, 2006
yah!! Well done! Thanks for posting arsenal23. I would like to add to the questions above posted by Tweety and also ask what country is your spouse from? And also did your employer write a list of your responsibilities to match up with those in your NOC A? (here we go again doubting this can happen lol)

Anyway I think we need to start believing that what the CIC website states is what it states - spouses of skilled level O, A, B can apply.... Well if anyone else has success please let us know. I urge all of you to try and take a pro-active step maybe we can all send individually a letter to CIC requesting that they include some of these vague issues in the frequently asked questions for students etc.

manitha

Star Member
Dec 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
bufflo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010 / 17-08-2011
Nomination.....
26-05-2011
AOR Received.
27-10-2011
File Transfer...
to Ottawa-07/09/11- TO buffalo December-2011 Seattle 12-01-2012
Med's Request
27-10-2011
Med's Done....
24-11-2011
Interview........
hopes NO
Passport Req..
Waiting for 6 months
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
hai lalava spouses of PGWP NOT ELIGIBLE FOR OPEN PERMIT,PLZ[ DONT GET CONFUSE OR MAKEIT OTHERS.IF UR WP HAVING NOC # AT OCCUPATION AND IT ALSO IN SKILLED THAN ONLY EIGIBLE FOR OWP. PGWP-IS OPEN PERMIT AFTER THE STUDY.IF U HAVE WP WITH LMO THAN IT S CLOSED PERMIT/u]

lavalava321

Oct 29, 2010
Just wanted to update that the work permit of my spouse has been approved.

So in short, if you have all the documents and you are in line with what the CIC website states, normally it is how it should be :).

Good luck to everyone else.

mwan

Star Member
Jul 30, 2006
Hey Lavlava321- well done! I have a question for you - when did you post your application or online / or rather how long did it take to be processed? I am really hoping mine does not take the 2.5 months currently posted on the cic site for new employer work permits.

Manitha - what does your last post mean? It is not clear.

Tweety15

Sep 15, 2011
Hi lavalava321,

It's so wonderful! I'm really happy for you! Thanks for sharing your experience.
Now I'm thinking to bring my husband to border next month with a proof of my employment as a skilled worker.

I know it is convenient if my husband re-applies by mail but we don't want to wait for another two and a half months.
I'll keep posting if there is something progress.

arsenal23

Sep 20, 2011
Hey mwan and Tweety

My job letter had my position, salary, benefits (also asked employer to include that I have health coverage), date since employed, a list of job duties.
We went to the POE near thousand islands. we live in Kingston so this is the closest one for us.
My wife is a UK national

Goodluck guys...let me know if you have any questions

lavalava321

Oct 29, 2010
Sure, give it a try at the border. In our case, the person at the POE didnt have any clue about the wp eligibility, so he said to apply from inside Canada.

Good Luck