+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SPONSOR SPOUSE FROM WITHIN CANADA AS A STUDENT????

gusko357

May 27, 2013
Hi,

I hope somebody can help me in this matter because I could not find any exact information so far.

I am holding a study permit which is still valid for 4 years (PhD Student) and would like to sponsor my wife to stay in Canada with me (she has a Temporary Resident Visa and a Study Permit that expires in 2 months). We did not enter Canada as Common-Law-Partners because we did not live together for 1 year back then. Now we got married here in Canada.

I found on the CIC website that she might be able to renew her TRV and get a temporary open work permit. However, this information seems to be only for students applying before entering Canada for the first time together with their spouses.

I hope anybody has experience in this matter or can understand the CIC website better than me. What is the Visa we should apply for and which steps should we take?
Is there an option to apply from outside of Canada at the local embassy? Would this have any advantages for the application?

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Try to post in the international student section of this forum - this part is for Canadians and PRs that want to sponsor their spouse for PR, so it's a very different process than yours. You'll probably have more answers on the international student part.
GOod luck,
Sweden

gusko357

May 27, 2013
Sweden said:
Try to post in the international student section of this forum - this part is for Canadians and PRs that want to sponsor their spouse for PR, so it's a very different process than yours. You'll probably have more answers on the international student part.
GOod luck,
Sweden
Hi,
I tried that some time ago ... no answer :(

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
She can renew Visit Visa as any other extension ( with reasons off course ), but not sure what you mean by sponsor?

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/visas/spouses-conjoints.aspx

gusko357

May 27, 2013
user828 said:
She can renew Visit Visa as any other extension ( with reasons off course ), but not sure what you mean by sponsor?
Thank you for this link. I wrote sponsor because I have to prove that I have enough money to finance her stay in Canada while we are both living here. I doubt that she can apply alone, for sure I also have to fill out something for CIC and show them how much money I earn.

Another option would be a post-graduation work permit (since she will have a Canadian degree before her current visa expires) but this won't allow her to stay for 4 years and we would have to re-apply after some months for another visa so we would really prefer a visa which covers the whole 4 years I will be here.