+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor Spouse from Philippines and apply for Visitor Visa???

mrclean2u

Mar 8, 2013
Hello, new to this forum. I recently got married in the Philippines in Feb and I'm now back in Canada. We started filling out all the Spousal Sponsorship forms and have tons of proof of relationship going back 2 years.

My question is can she apply for a Visitor Visa and come to Canada and complete the Spousal Sponsorship process here in Canada? I have a friend from the Philippines who did this. His wife was here in Canada and and they filed for Spousal Sponsorship but in the meanwhile he applied for a Visitor Visa and was able to come here and he had to extend his Visitor Visa one time and now he has been here for a few years.

Thanks!

Iay

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2, 2017
AOR Received.
2017/02/10 In-process 2017/02/16 Test 2017/03/22 DM 2017/03/23
It is quite rare to get approved of a Visitor Visa especially that the spouse is already in Canada. CIC is afraid that the person might stay in Canada illegally when the sponsorship is denied. However, if your spouse can produce evidence of strong ties to the Philippines, she might be able to get the Visa. It is a very small chance, but you could still try.

civiliii

Jan 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mrclean2u said:
Hello, new to this forum. I recently got married in the Philippines in Feb and I'm now back in Canada. We started filling out all the Spousal Sponsorship forms and have tons of proof of relationship going back 2 years.

My question is can she apply for a Visitor Visa and come to Canada and complete the Spousal Sponsorship process here in Canada? I have a friend from the Philippines who did this. His wife was here in Canada and and they filed for Spousal Sponsorship but in the meanwhile he applied for a Visitor Visa and was able to come here and he had to extend his Visitor Visa one time and now he has been here for a few years.

Thanks!
Hi mrclean2u,
I agree with Iay.

mrclean2u

Mar 8, 2013
My wife is still in the Philippines I am back ome in Canada. While we are working on filling out the sponsorship foms can she apply for a visitor visa. It worked for a friend of mine, he was in Canada before the sponsorship was complete and he finished it here in Canada? It can't really hurt if approved my wife could possibly be here sooner right?

Iay

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2, 2017
AOR Received.
mrclean2u said:
My wife is still in the Philippines I am back ome in Canada. While we are working on filling out the sponsorship foms can she apply for a visitor visa. It worked for a friend of mine, he was in Canada before the sponsorship was complete and he finished it here in Canada? It can't really hurt if approved my wife could possibly be here sooner right?
Again, you can try, but the chances of getting approved is really low. If your spouse has strong ties in the philippines like a job or business that will need her to come back, it will be great to provide that in the application. Otherwise, you have a very high likely of being refused.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
I've also heard of it working before, but chances are so low. It really depends on her financial background before she met you. If she's well off, from a rich family, it should be easier. Some people say that you can attach proof of your sponsorship application to her TRV application, it will help as proof that you don't want to jeopardize her sponsorship. My partner was denied twice, he is not from a rich family but had proof of an ongoing job, return tickets, a job contract for his return, and proof of ownership in some businesses. He also had an extensive travel history. Application is $75 and you hear an answer within a few weeks. You will lose the $75 if denied.

mrclean2u

Mar 8, 2013
Steph C said:
I've also heard of it working before, but chances are so low. It really depends on her financial background before she met you. If she's well off, from a rich family, it should be easier. Some people say that you can attach proof of your sponsorship application to her TRV application, it will help as proof that you don't want to jeopardize her sponsorship. My partner was denied twice, he is not from a rich family but had proof of an ongoing job, return tickets, a job contract for his return, and proof of ownership in some businesses. He also had an extensive travel history. Application is $75 and you hear an answer within a few weeks. You will lose the $75 if denied.
Well maybe we will just stick with the sponsorship part of it because the only ties she has is family. I am her total support as far as finances do to she was in university when we met and since she had to quit because the relatives she was living with moved out of the Philippines and she had no place to go so I pay for her monthly costs.

Iay

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2, 2017
AOR Received.
Steph C said:
Being denied for TRV doesn't affect the sponsorship right?
Uhm, I kinda want to be with my husband now. He wants me to come home to PH for at least a week. I don't want to spend that much money and cry again after a week of being with him. :-X

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Iay said:
Being denied for TRV doesn't affect the sponsorship right?
Uhm, I kinda want to be with my husband now. He wants me to come home to PH for at least a week. I don't want to spend that much money and cry again after a week of being with him. :-X
No, it doesn't affect it at all. Why don't you give it a shot, citing that you don't want to jeopardize your application. I would have earlier if I known that it might have worked. One thing I didn't look into is getting him a US visitor's visa. Is it easier? You could have time in Seattle ;D

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
mrclean2u said:
Well maybe we will just stick with the sponsorship part of it because the only ties she has is family. I am her total support as far as finances do to she was in university when we met and since she had to quit because the relatives she was living with moved out of the Philippines and she had no place to go so I pay for her monthly costs.
You would probably be throwing away your $75, although your chances would be higher once the sponsorship application already in process.

Iay

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2, 2017
AOR Received.
Steph C said:
No, it doesn't affect it at all. Why don't you give it a shot, citing that you don't want to jeopardize your application. I would have earlier if I known that it might have worked. One thing I didn't look into is getting him a US visitor's visa. Is it easier? You could have time in Seattle ;D
Exactly what I was thinking couple hours ago! I live like 3-4 hours from Seattle and we have relatives there that could accommodate him.
Hmmm, I will try to research on that, and let me know if you find out anything too. ;)

My husband is not from a rich family either, so I don't think we have a strong app for TRV, but it kinda interests me.

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Iay said:
Exactly what I was thinking couple hours ago! I live like 3-4 hours from Seattle and we have relatives there that could accommodate him.
Hmmm, I will try to research on that, and let me know if you find out anything too. ;)

My husband is not from a rich family either, so I don't think we have a strong app for TRV, but it kinda interests me.
Maybe your relatives from Seattle can sponsor him for a US visitor's visa.

Iay

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2, 2017
AOR Received.
Steph C said:
Maybe your relatives from Seattle can sponsor him for a US visitor's visa.
Uhmmm maybe. But I still wanted to try the TRV for Canada lol. I did the online checklist and it says there he is eligible to get a tourist visa. LOL. Made me hopeful but still knows he will most likely be denied. :p

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Iay said:
Uhmmm maybe. But I still wanted to try the TRV for Canada lol. I did the online checklist and it says there he is eligible to get a tourist visa. LOL. Made me hopeful but still knows he will most likely be denied. :p
Worst case you will be out $75. They will let you know within a few weeks of your application. Unlike our spousal visas.

Iay

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2, 2017
AOR Received.
Steph C said:
Worst case you will be out $75. They will let you know within a few weeks of your application. Unlike our spousal visas.
So tempted to try.. LOL.
But then, he has no proof of ties at all. You even had a lot, but still got denied. :-X