+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor (potential) wife from Hong Kong

Paperball

Apr 5, 2011
Interesting discussion here so far.

I think it is understandable that mainland applications are scrutinized more seriously because despite obvious economic growth, the vast majority of Chinese are still very poor. It's unfortunate that legitimate applications get held up.

The processing time between Hong Kong and Beijing does baffle me though. Unless Southern Chinese people are bigger scammers.

Does anyone have any clue how long it's taking for a HK spouse to be sponsored here? I'm anticipating the worse, but logically (based on what we see from the government) it shouldn't have to take as long.

Paperball

Apr 5, 2011
Oh yeah as for the comment about why mainland couples give birth in Hong Kong.

As Chinese citizens, if they give birth to a child in China the child will be a Chinese citizen, but if they do so in Hong Kong, it would also give them right of abode (like citizenship) in Hong Kong, which is a more desirable place.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Paperball said:
The processing time between Hong Kong and Beijing does baffle me though. Unless Southern Chinese people are bigger scammers.

Someone in this forum reported reading that yes, there are more fraudulent applications form the south of China. I don't know why that should be, since the southern regions are more prosperous than many other areas of China.

Does anyone have any clue how long it's taking for a HK spouse to be sponsored here? I'm anticipating the worse, but logically (based on what we see from the government) it shouldn't have to take as long.
Times in Hong Kong are increasing. Two years ago, it was something like 6 months. Now it is more like one year plus. Also, if there are any aspects of the application out of the ordinary (e.g. difference in education, or age, or maybe the wind was blowing from the East when the VO opened the file for the first time), they will prompt a closer scrutiny, and longer processing time.

pogobb

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011
Doc's Request.
18-05-2011
File Transfer...
28-04-2011
Med's Done....
12-03-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2011
LANDED..........
04-03-2012
toby said:
First it was not clear whether our PR application would be processed through Hong Kong or Beijing. The choice was CIC's to make.
Wow, reading what you went through already made my head spin! ???

Sorry if I missed it but finally, which VO office was your application processed in? HK? Beijing? Both??

pogobb

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011
Doc's Request.
18-05-2011
File Transfer...
28-04-2011
Med's Done....
12-03-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2011
LANDED..........
04-03-2012
Paperball said:
Oh yeah as for the comment about why mainland couples give birth in Hong Kong.

As Chinese citizens, if they give birth to a child in China the child will be a Chinese citizen, but if they do so in Hong Kong, it would also give them right of abode (like citizenship) in Hong Kong, which is a more desirable place.
Yah, child born in HK can have right to study in public schools in HK. In many areas near the border, kids are bused over and led across the border to go to schools nearby (even kindergarten kids). And they cross the border again to go back home in the mainland.

Also, mainland couples can only have 1 child in China and will have pay a penalty to have more. So many come to HK to have their 2nd/3rd child. Those kids won't have houkou but they have HKID which is good enough for them.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
pogobb said:
Wow, reading what you went through already made my head spin! ???

Sorry if I missed it but finally, which VO office was your application processed in? HK? Beijing? Both??
We were processed through Hong Kong; Beijing was not involved.

Paperball

Apr 5, 2011
toby said:
Times in Hong Kong are increasing. Two years ago, it was something like 6 months. Now it is more like one year plus. Also, if there are any aspects of the application out of the ordinary (e.g. difference in education, or age, or maybe the wind was blowing from the East when the VO opened the file for the first time), they will prompt a closer scrutiny, and longer processing time.
I really hope it's not gonna be a nightmare. We're not gonna have any banquet or anything yet so I really hope there won't be major red flags. I don't have money to do that stuff, let alone even buy a home yet. We just wanna be together.

But we do have the same education level, went to the same university and same age. I hope it'd look favourable.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Paperball said:
I really hope it's not gonna be a nightmare. We're not gonna have any banquet or anything yet so I really hope there won't be major red flags. I don't have money to do that stuff, let alone even buy a home yet. We just wanna be together.

But we do have the same education level, went to the same university and same age. I hope it'd look favourable.
I think that what CIC is looking for with the big, conventional marriage is that both partner's family member know about it and even celebrated it. A fraudulent marriage for the visa wouldn't go to this length, or so the assumption seems to go.

Your other similarities seem to be favourable.

Good luck.

Paperball

Apr 5, 2011
toby said:
I think that what CIC is looking for with the big, conventional marriage is that both partner's family member know about it and even celebrated it. A fraudulent marriage for the visa wouldn't go to this length, or so the assumption seems to go.

Your other similarities seem to be favourable.

Good luck.
In a way this kind of is a marriage of convenience, we wouldn't have married so early otherwise, but we do have a serious relationship. Hence I'm a bit concerned about it.

We do have pictures on trips together, and even some with family and friends over the past half year we dated.

I've been following your posts for awhile toby, do you have any tips or suggestions? I'm happy that things worked out for you.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
My tips? For what they are worth ...

Keep the application shorter. Use the checklist of the visa office you will be going through to organize your application. Write a cover letter explaining briefly the reasons behind the documents; e.g. why did you live with her in China rather than work in Canada?, etc.

If the VO is concerned about some aspect (e.g. education difference), adding 350 photos of us together won't help get rid of that concern. Selective photos showing the length and quality of the relationship (e.g. 35 photos ) are just as good.

We got our landlord and friend to write a letter saying we are a solid couple, and got it certified. That was probably worth more than 350 photos.

Look up the lists of interview questions. Prepare if an interview is called. You'll have a few weeks to do this.

Continue reading this forum; lots of people know a lot of useful things.

In some cases, there is going to be an interview, no matter how good (thick?) your application. Just be patient.

I'm sure there are better tips, but I can't think of any right now. Others?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We didn't got anyone to write a letter saying we are solid couple....

We do, however, wrote plans on how we are going to return Canada to live and how I am going to support a living.

I 2nd and agree on continue reading this forum and be patient.

Some people uses binder clips and ordinary clips to organise their sponsorship and immigration applications and supporting document, I used a transparent plastic folder.