+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor (potential) wife from Hong Kong

Paperball

Apr 5, 2011
I've already read the manual earlier on. Is this something common that applicants do? Or do many people go into the process blindly?

Thank you all for the info, I'm more of looking for personal experiences that can help out. I'm also an immigration nerd, so I like learning the process of how these things go.

pogobb

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011
Doc's Request.
18-05-2011
File Transfer...
28-04-2011
Med's Done....
12-03-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2011
LANDED..........
04-03-2012
Hi, sorry for intruding into your thread but I'm also applying outland through Hong Kong (both my spouse and I are currently living in HK). When I saw you wrote: "But I've just read a lot of nightmare stories about the consulate in HK." And Toby's reply of : "The HK Consulate is overwhelmed with applications, and processing times are likely to become longer. " , it makes me really worried! :eek:

I haven't read any stories about the problems in HK, may I know what's happening?? Is it due to many mainlanders applying through HK or increased number of suspicious cases? But I saw that the processing time for Beijing is only 4 months, it's so much faster than HK so it seems they welcome mainlanders more??

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No worries, you are still living with your spouse in Hong Kong.

Some would say "yes" and I would say "no". I think every case is different.

pogobb said:
Hi, sorry for intruding into your thread but I'm also applying outland through Hong Kong (both my spouse and I are currently living in HK). When I saw you wrote: "But I've just read a lot of nightmare stories about the consulate in HK." And Toby's reply of : "The HK Consulate is overwhelmed with applications, and processing times are likely to become longer. " , it makes me really worried! :eek:

I haven't read any stories about the problems in HK, may I know what's happening?? Is it due to many mainlanders applying through HK or increased number of suspicious cases?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
pogobb said:
I haven't read any stories about the problems in HK, may I know what's happening?? Is it due to many mainlanders applying through HK or increased number of suspicious cases? But I saw that the processing time for Beijing is only 4 months, it's so much faster than HK so it seems they welcome mainlanders more??
Hong Kong processes apps from southern China as well as Hong Kong. The visa officers are very suspicious of the applicants from southern China - the processing time is well over a year, and the refusal rate for spousal applications is 50%. I don't think it is because they welcome mainlanders more - they seem to welcome Hong Kong residents, but have suspicions about applicants from southern China.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
canadianwoman said:
Hong Kong processes apps from southern China as well as Hong Kong. The visa officers are very suspicious of the applicants from southern China - the processing time is well over a year, and the refusal rate for spousal applications is 50%. I don't think it is because they welcome mainlanders more - they seem to welcome Hong Kong residents, but have suspicions about applicants from southern China.
I agree. Hong Kong is an expensive (and arguably desirable) place to live, and Canada seems to feel that there is no threat of a mass influx of illegal immigrants from Hong Kong (witness the fact that a tourist with a Hong Kong passport usually gets a no-questions visa at the Canadian border).

In contrast, a tourist with a mainland Chinese passport must get a temporary visa from the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate. Mainland Chinese were considered quite poor compared to Hong Kong residents, and in previous decades some mainlanders tried to sneak into Hong Kong for the better standard of living.

But all that has changed now -- for many at least. Goods are often more expensive in south China (Shenzhen, Zhuhai) than in Hong Kong. Hong Kongers used to come to China to shop for cheaper goods; now the flow has reversed in large measure.

In the mainland (the south at least) salaries are much higher than before, there are many expensive cars on the roads, and I see no great desire among the young people to move to a foreign country, including Canada. Canada`s immigration policies are getting out of date.

pogobb

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011
Doc's Request.
18-05-2011
File Transfer...
28-04-2011
Med's Done....
12-03-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2011
LANDED..........
04-03-2012
toby said:
But all that has changed now -- for many at least. Goods are often more expensive in south China (Shenzhen, Zhuhai) than in Hong Kong. Hong Kongers used to come to China to shop for cheaper goods; now the flow has reversed in large measure.

In the mainland (the south at least) salaries are much higher than before, there are many expensive cars on the roads, and I see no great desire among the young people to move to a foreign country, including Canada. Canada`s immigration policies are getting out of date.
I agree that everything has changed now. Mainland Chinese are much richer than Hong Kong people. I was back to Canada last Christmas with my husband and son, and we were looking to purchase housing (hoping that will be another proof that I have intention to move back to Canada once my husband's PR is approved). Talking to the real estate agent, he said nearly half of his clients are Mainland chinese and alot of them don't even go to Canada to look at the housing. They just pick one off the mls.ca and buy it overseas (cash, no mortgage!).

And I think the Canadian govn't knows that, and that's why the processing time for Beijing is only 4 months (compared to HK of 16 months!) Mainlanders are the ones bringing all the money and investing in Canada..

So it sends a conflicting message.. they are more suspicious of mainlander applicants but at the same time, welcome mainlanders (at least the ones via beijing) more and process them much quicker!

Toby, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of problems did you encounter?

pogobb

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011
Doc's Request.
18-05-2011
File Transfer...
28-04-2011
Med's Done....
12-03-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2011
LANDED..........
04-03-2012
canadianwoman said:
Wow, 50%?! I just hope that 16 months processing time is not talking about HK residents!!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chinese cities like Zhuhai, Shenzhen and Shanghai are also expensive places to live but in Hong Kong and Canada at least food are generally safe to consume – recently I heard terrible stories in the news that bakers in Guandong and Shanghai used expired ingredients and then repackage them for sale to consumers. Then in Taiwan, a famous baker call 85 degrees C use molded strawberries in their cakes and sold them to consumers.

It is true that a tourist with a mainland Chinese passport must get a temporary visa from the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate. A friend of mine holding a Hong Kong passport got questions at the Canadian border. The border agents asked him for proof of returning tickets and ask where he will stay.

Goods especially genuine brands like Gucci and LV are more expensive in China than in Hong Kong. However, many Hong Kongers, young and old, still come to China for personal service such as foot massage which costs generally less than prices in Hong Kong. Due to concerns of food safety and being trendy, many mainlanders now flow to HK to smuggle back milk powders, I-Phones and other smartphones, some in large quantities.

I disagree with your last paragraph. Many mainland young couples still like to give birth in Hong Kong, despite China's growing economy.

toby said:
I agree. Hong Kong is an expensive (and arguably desirable) place to live, and Canada seems to feel that there is no threat of a mass influx of illegal immigrants from Hong Kong (witness the fact that a tourist with a Hong Kong passport usually gets a no-questions visa at the Canadian border).

In contrast, a tourist with a mainland Chinese passport must get a temporary visa from the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate. Mainland Chinese were considered quite poor compared to Hong Kong residents, and in previous decades some mainlanders tried to sneak into Hong Kong for the better standard of living.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not every Mainland Chinese are richer than Hong Kong people. When I was in Shanghai, I had a mainland ayi (domestic helper) from Anhui province. When I was back to Canada last fall, my real estate agent told me many mainland Chinese make house hunting tours in Canada. I agree they pick one from the tour or mls and buy with cash and no mortgage. I also heard scams that some Chinese being cheated by non-licensed salesman. So, it is better to buy one through a reliable real estate agent and lawyer in Canada.

Mainlanders are not the only ones bringing all the money and investing in Canada. Many Koreans and Middle Easterners does.

pogobb said:
I agree that everything has changed now. Mainland Chinese are much richer than Hong Kong people. I was back to Canada last Christmas with my husband and son, and we were looking to purchase housing (hoping that will be another proof that I have intention to move back to Canada once my husband's PR is approved). Talking to the real estate agent, he said nearly half of his clients are Mainland chinese and alot of them don't even go to Canada to look at the housing. They just pick one off the mls.ca and buy it overseas (cash, no mortgage!).

And I think the Canadian govn't knows that, and that's why the processing time for Beijing is only 4 months (compared to HK of 16 months!) Mainlanders are the ones bringing all the money and investing in Canada..

So it sends a conflicting message.. they are more suspicious of mainlander applicants but at the same time, welcome mainlanders (at least the ones via beijing) more and process them much quicker!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Some Chinese people are rich now, but the average is still pretty bad. Especially from the internal provinces.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
canadianwoman said:
Some Chinese people are rich now, but the average is still pretty bad. Especially from the internal provinces.
Yes, I agree; still plenty of poor Chinese, especially in the interior provinces. But in the southern regions (Shenzhen, Zhuhai, Guanzhou) mainlanders are quite well-off.

There seems to be a supposition that the poorer the visa applicant, the greater the chance that he or she is marrying for a visa, to escape poverty. Seems reasonable logic on the surface at least. The obverse would be that richer Chinese don't need to escape poverty, are therefore better able to present attractive visa applications, and if they want to come to Canada, let them.

This helps explain why Canada has favoured immigrants and visitors from relatively-rich Hong Kong (e.g. Canada doesn't require them to get consular visas to visit Canada). But now we have an anomaly: Beijing processes applications from the poorer interior provinces, and does it much more quickly than Hong Kong processes applications from richer Hong Kong, and the richer southern mainland.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
steaky said:
Chinese cities like Zhuhai, Shenzhen and Shanghai are also expensive places to live but in Hong Kong and Canada at least food are generally safe to consume – recently I heard terrible stories in the news that bakers in Guandong and Shanghai used expired ingredients and then repackage them for sale to consumers. Then in Taiwan, a famous baker call 85 degrees C use molded strawberries in their cakes and sold them to consumers.

This might explain why rich Hong Kongers would leave their exciting city for the "cleaner" pastures of Canada.

It is true that a tourist with a mainland Chinese passport must get a temporary visa from the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate. A friend of mine holding a Hong Kong passport got questions at the Canadian border. The border agents asked him for proof of returning tickets and ask where he will stay.

What I meant was that there is an almost-automatic entry at the border. Anyone with a Canadian , USA, or EURO passport etc. expects to be admitted to another country, even if he must answer easy questions. My point was that a mainland Chinese has a much more difficult time.

I disagree with your last paragraph. Many mainland young couples still like to give birth in Hong Kong, despite China's growing economy.

I'm not sure how this relates to my last paragraph, where I was making a quite-different point. Can you clarify?

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
pogobb said:
I agree that everything has changed now. Mainland Chinese are much richer than Hong Kong people. I was back to Canada last Christmas with

First it was not clear whether our PR application would be processed through Hong Kong or Beijing. The choice was CIC's to make. Yet the document checklist for HK and Beijing were structured differently, so if we wanted to organize our application in accordance with the checklist, we had to resolve and explain the differences to the CIC officer. We decided to follow the Beijing checklist, but write notes to refer the CIC officer to a different place in the application that dealt with a requirement specific to the Hong Kong checklist.

In some cases the HK checklist asked for documents the Beijing checklist did not, and vice versa. We decided to include all documents, and explain why -- an unnecessary complication that seemed more serious at the time than it does now, in retrospect.

My wife was denied a (1) student visa and (2) a visitor's visa to Canada, even though we live in China and clearly had every reason to return so as not to jeopardize the PR application. A Canadian acquaintance and his wife -- in very similar circumstances -- were granted a visitor's visa. It seemed that a cloud was hovering over our heads!

When denied the visitor's visa, I got the CAIPS notes, saw the facile reasoning the VO had used, and complained to Beijing about the poor logic and arbitrary powers that allow one VO to deny us a tourist visa while another (or even worse, the same VO) granted a visa to my Canadian acquaintance.

The VO (in the CAIPS notes) had even said that we had not included much evidence of our valid and continuing relationship, and used this as proof that the visa should be denied. But that requirement is nowhere mentioned in the guide to a tourist visa!! It was invented by the VO to justify refusing the visa.

I complained about all this to the embassy, the Director of Policy replied, we discussed further, and she suggested that if I decided to re-apply I should include certain points of our discussion in a cover letter. But I had included precisely those points in the original cover letter! When I pointed this out, she had nothing more to say. VOs have immense discretionary (arbitrary) powers, and don't seem to be accountable even to a director of policy.

(And let's ask ourselves why taxpayers need to fund a director of policy in an embassy? Isn't policy determined by headquarters in Ottawa? Isn't this an unnecessary expense?)

A final affront, then I'm finished. When we got the letter requiring us to come to an interview, the letter said we should bring a list of up-to-date documents, and if we did not the visa might well be refused, BUT that if we had already included these documents in the original application we need not do so again.

Given the serious consequence of not bringing a necessary document to the interview, we naturally wondered whether the original Police Report (now more than a year old) was considered "up to date", or was considered outdated and needing to be renewed. I asked this question in this forum, and was advised by those most knowledgeable that we should get another Police Report. TO do so would have been a hardship and a great expense (I won't go into the reasons here).

Another document required was a certificate of eligibility to marry for my wife. But such a document does not exist for a Chinese person never married!!

And they asked for a copy of my certificate of eligibility to marry, even though the original was with the application. I had to get the vice-consul of Beijing to send them an email saying that copies are not made. One arm of the government (HK) does not seem to know what another arm (Beijing) is doing.

And there were other documents they mentioned specifically, leaving us to decide in each case whether the document included with the application was sufficient or needed to be renewed.

It seemed clear that this was a form letter, not one written by someone remotely familiar with our application. But we could not take the risk, and not bring an essential document to the interview. So I finally wrote to the consulate, gave my reasoning why each document listed in their letter was not necessary, and they agreed.

What a lot of fuss that could have been avoided if they had simply taken a little time with the application, and listed documents that they really did need. We applicants spend months assembling the the applications, but HK (at least) seemed unaware of the contents.

And even today the CIC website lists an address we left more than a year ago!

All's well that ends well, I suppose. We got the PR visa. But I have little positive to say about the process itself.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
toby said:
Yes, I agree; still plenty of poor Chinese, especially in the interior provinces. But in the southern regions (Shenzhen, Zhuhai, Guanzhou) mainlanders are quite well-off.
This helps explain why Canada has favoured immigrants and visitors from relatively-rich Hong Kong (e.g. Canada doesn't require them to get consular visas to visit Canada). But now we have an anomaly: Beijing processes applications from the poorer interior provinces, and does it much more quickly than Hong Kong processes applications from richer Hong Kong, and the richer southern mainland.
I have often wondered about the huge difference in processing times and refusal rates between Hong Kong and Beijing. Now that I learn it is Beijing processing apps from the interior, I am even more surprised.
Maybe the Canadian gov't is worried about the triads? Maybe people from the richer areas have more opportunities to meet foreigners and thus more opportunities to try a marriage scam? When I lived in China, I lived in an area where there were no other foreigners (rural Sichuan), so I guess it would have been almost impossible to have an applicant in a fake marriage from there.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Like much of the world, many people from rural areas of China flock to large cities and richer areas(Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Guangzhow) to find work. Who knows if they have opportunities to make fake marriage, meet up foreigners, gangs and conduct/fall into scams while in the large cities?

The applicant's hukou might still be in the hometown in rural China, even he/she is living in the cities.

canadianwoman said:
I have often wondered about the huge difference in processing times and refusal rates between Hong Kong and Beijing. Now that I learn it is Beijing processing apps from the interior, I am even more surprised.
Maybe the Canadian gov't is worried about the triads? Maybe people from the richer areas have more opportunities to meet foreigners and thus more opportunities to try a marriage scam? When I lived in China, I lived in an area where there were no other foreigners (rural Sichuan), so I guess it would have been almost impossible to have an applicant in a fake marriage from there.