+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor parents while working in USA

rknaik_iris

Apr 22, 2012
Hi All,

I am Canadian Citizen. I am planning to sponsor my parents PR this year. I got through initial show interest process.

My question is, if I work in US, can I still apply for my parents PR?

Regards
RK

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

I am Canadian Citizen. I am planning to sponsor my parents PR this year. I got through initial show interest process.

My question is, if I work in US, can I still apply for my parents PR?

Regards
RK
Have you been living in Canada for the past 3+ years?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
And do you plan to live in Canada while you work in US. You need to be living in Canada through out the sponsorship process.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I might have to move US for work. But i have house here i meant i will Canadian address
You are required to live in Canada throughout the entire sponsorship process. If you move to Canada, you no longer qualify as a sponsor.

rknaik_iris

Apr 22, 2012
Thanks Canuck for the reply. Even if I engage a lawyer to represent my case it won't work?

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks Canuck for the reply. Even if I engage a lawyer to represent my case it won't work?
Copied a section from
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents/eligibility.html

Who can’t sponsor a parent or grandparent
You can’t sponsor your parents and grandparents if:
  • you’re less than 18 years old
  • you won’t live in Canada when you apply to sponsor your parents and grandparents and/or when your parents and grandparents become permanent residents
    • Your primary residential address must be in Canada when you submit your application and until we make a decision on your application.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The whole point of the program is to allow Canadians citizens or residents to have their parents closeby so they can care for them. Also it only makes sense if at least the children are working and paying taxes in Canada because PGP is an expense to the taxpayer.

rknaik_iris

Apr 22, 2012
Ok thanks everyone for the reply. Its clear to me now that i need to be Canada.

Also i have been trying for past 3 years to sponsor my parents PR luckily i got it this year i won't loose it.

jguan0530

May 7, 2018
Can I keep my primary residency in Canada while work in the US during weekdays, and comeback to Canada every weekend? I will file Canadian taxes with US income. Am I still eligible to sponsor my parents this way?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can I keep my primary residency in Canada while work in the US during weekdays, and comeback to Canada every weekend? I will file Canadian taxes with US income. Am I still eligible to sponsor my parents this way?
No. You should be living full-time in Canada.