+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor my brother and mother

Swati Ail

May 26, 2018
I want to know whether I can sponsor my mother and my brother who is an adult if I have PR for canada. My brother cannot apply on his own for PR as he has mental illness.
Can I sponsor him on medical grounds?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
I want to know whether I can sponsor my mother and my brother who is an adult if I have PR for canada. My brother cannot apply on his own for PR as he has mental illness.
To Sponsor your mother......you first have to send online submission form to show your interest and to enter into the lottery.......if lucky and selected.......you could then sponsor your mother and your brother (if he pass medical and is admissible).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=818&top=14

Dependants over the age limit
Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:
  • they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22, and
  • they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Do you have the 3 years income requirement to sponsor a parent? If so, you would then need to apply to the parents lottery in January 2019 and hope you're selected. If you don't meet income requirement or aren't selected in lottery, you can't sponsor them.

For your brother, does his mental illness prevent him from hold a job or living on his own, meaning he's entirely dependent solely on your mother? Only if this is the case can he be included in the app. He would also need to pass excessive demand medical test so this will depend on the particulars of his medical condition.