+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor moved from Canada to U.S.

Mar 20, 2018
Hello,

My wife is currently sponsoring me under family class sponsorship. She was living in Canada when we submitted the application in October, but moved down here to take a job and live with me last week. We are on the background check portion of the application, which I submitted to the FBI at the end of December and they just informed me it was in the mail on the way back to me. I'm not sure how much else we will need to do after I send in the background check, but will her living here be a problem? We are both geologists and just started working at the same company. We were hoping to get a minimum of 3 years experience before moving to Canada. We were reading that if we live together after I land then it counts as living in Canada since she is a Canadian citizen.

Will her moving here cause our application to get rejected?

Should we tell them she moved? She was living with her friends so we could still receive mail at that address.

Do we have to move back there immediately after receiving my PR?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hello,

My wife is currently sponsoring me under family class sponsorship. She was living in Canada when we submitted the application in October, but moved down here to take a job and live with me last week. We are on the background check portion of the application, which I submitted to the FBI at the end of December and they just informed me it was in the mail on the way back to me. I'm not sure how much else we will need to do after I send in the background check, but will her living here be a problem? We are both geologists and just started working at the same company. We were hoping to get a minimum of 3 years experience before moving to Canada. We were reading that if we live together after I land then it counts as living in Canada since she is a Canadian citizen.

Should we tell them she moved? She was living with her friends so we could still receive mail at that address.

Did you apply outland?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
The problem I see is the requirement to settle in Canada once the PR status is granted. That could cause you some issues, as both of you don't actually intend to settle in Canada when the application is approved. So yes, IMO, you should inform them of the changes.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
The problem I see is the requirement to settle in Canada once the PR status is granted. That could cause you some issues, as both of you don't actually intend to settle in Canada when the application is approved. So, yes, you should inform them of the changes. The other issue is whether she is a Canadian citizen or not. If she isn't, she isn't eligible to sponsor you from outside of Canada. She needs to remain in Canada (barring short trips) while the application is in process.
Yep, all good points...did not consider the Citizen piece.

I don't know that you need to settle in Canada right away post landing, though.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
It's a requirement, but doesn't require you to stipulate how long you have to stay. Just that you intend to return to Canada (I probably should have worded it better) after you receive the PR.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Realistically, yes. You could hop the next flight out for all intents and purposes. Lots of people do short landings and return later. As long as you can provide evidence you plan to return to Canada (job applications, bank accounts, etc) it should be alright. Just something to watch for.

Mar 20, 2018
Okay, she has family there and open bank accounts. I also planned on opening one after I land so sounds like we'll be good. I'll probably go ahead and inform them of the change in address just to be safe and say we still plan on moving there in the future.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
We were hoping to get a minimum of 3 years experience before moving to Canada. We were reading that if we live together after I land then it counts as living in Canada since she is a Canadian citizen.

The requirement if Canadian citizen sponsor is not living in Canada, is that you must submit proof/evidence that you intend to move permanently to Canada when the PR is granted.

If you tell IRCC you don't actually intend to move for 3 more years, they will most likely reject the app and tell you to apply for PR later when you are ready to move.

Mar 20, 2018
Even though we are this far along in the app and living with my spouse who is a Canadian citizen outside of Canada counts towards my 2 of 5 year minimum I need to live in Canada to maintain PR?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

She needs to update her address. IRCC will then likely ask for proof that she is soon returning to Canada before approving the app. As you don't plan to move for a few years, she won't be able to provide the necessry proofs, which will likely result in a refusal.