10/06/2014
AOR Received.
28/10/2013
Med's Done....
17/09/2013
Passport Req..
25/06/2014
Hi All!

We are getting closer to putting our package together and gathering what we need but I came across something that I wonder if anybody has experience with.

Me (the sponsor) is living outside of Canada with the applicant in Argentina where he has PR and I have been living on a tourist visa (he supports both of us so I don't need a work visa). We are going to become common law right before we send in our package and one of the forms is asking for the his PR proof from Argentina ( he is Colombian) and they ask for my forms to be sent in regarding living exclusively outside of Canada (proof of visas or PR).
I overstayed my visa and dont want to risk getting it renewed now in case they dont let me back in the country. Does anybody know if it will effect me being able to sponsor him? Or should I send a note explaining the situation?

Yes I realize that was stupid of me but nothing I can change now :(

WoodyKatie

Oct 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct. 31, 2012
File Transfer...
Dec. 12, 2012
Med's Done....
Oct. 9, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
August 29, 2013
LANDED..........
October 2, 2013
having a tourist visa is not considered exclusively living outside canada.

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
Stage 1 22/3/2013 & Stage 2 Aug 2013
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
caitij said:
Hi All!

We are getting closer to putting our package together and gathering what we need but I came across something that I wonder if anybody has experience with.

Me (the sponsor) is living outside of Canada with the applicant in Argentina where he has PR and I have been living on a tourist visa (he supports both of us so I don't need a work visa). We are going to become common law right before we send in our package and one of the forms is asking for the his PR proof from Argentina ( he is Colombian) and they ask for my forms to be sent in regarding living exclusively outside of Canada (proof of visas or PR).
I overstayed my visa and dont want to risk getting it renewed now in case they dont let me back in the country. Does anybody know if it will effect me being able to sponsor him? Or should I send a note explaining the situation?

Yes I realize that was stupid of me but nothing I can change now :(
You must also tell us here. Are you Canadian citizen ?

caitij

Jan 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/10/2013
Doc's Request.
10/06/2014
AOR Received.
28/10/2013
Med's Done....
17/09/2013
Passport Req..
25/06/2014
Yes I am a Canadian Citizen!

So I guess I dont need to send in all of the information if im not considered to be exclusively outside of Canada.....but that wont effect our common law status right?

We lived together for 4 months and then did 5 months long distance and then 1 year continuous living together. But me being on tourist visa the whole time wont be an issue will it?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
caitij said:
Yes I am a Canadian Citizen!

So I guess I dont need to send in all of the information if im not considered to be exclusively outside of Canada.....but that wont effect our common law status right?

We lived together for 4 months and then did 5 months long distance and then 1 year continuous living together. But me being on tourist visa the whole time wont be an issue will it?
No, your status doesn't matter. CIC will actually advise people to use the visitor status to their advantage if they want to qualify for Common-Law.

If you've been outside of Canada for 1 year, don't have a home or apartment, don't have a job in Canada, or own a business in Canada, you are "outside" Canada. You will need to provide proof you intent to return. You can either do that now or write CIC a letter stating due to the uncertainty of visa processing times, you will provide this proof once they are ready to issue the COPR. That second option, while seemingly more logical, may delay the issue of the COPR by 1-2 months (although it hasn't for many people).

Even if you do own a business or property in Canada, CIC may still ask for proof you intent to return to Canada once your spouse is issued his COPR. CIC does make their own judgments about your status (as well as a great deal of other things).

jdCanadian

Star Member
Jun 22, 2017
Me (the sponsor) is living outside of Canada with the applicant in Argentina where he has PR and I have been living on a tourist visa (he supports both of us so I don't need a work visa) ...
Hello, hope you two are in Canada by now. I'm about apply for spouse sponsorship and would like to know:
1. How did you prove that you were living with your partner (I'm assuming since you were on a tourist visa, you weren't on the lease)?
2. What did you have to send to prove your intent to return to Canada?

Thanks!