+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsor kids from united States

nicen

Jan 9, 2009
Hello,
My husband and I landed Canada in Feb 2006, then we went back to united states for working. During the last 2 years and 11 month in United states, we had two babies (they are citizen of United States). We returned to Canada a few days ago, we would like to apply PR for our kids, had a few questions here:
1. Do we need file sponsor apllication?
2. If so, do we need to file two applications for two kids?
3. I heard about there is no medical examination needed for US citizen, is that true?
4. What's the general process? how long it will take?
5. While we are waiting the application result, if the time take more than 6 month, Do the kids need to return back to united States(their passports were stamped for 6 month?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to file for sponsorship. When the kids have 30 days left on their visit visa, you need to apply for visa extension to keep them legal but hopefully it will not take that long. Sponsorship for kids is usually fast. I have never heard that US citizens didn't have to have medical.

nicen

Jan 9, 2009
Hello, leon,
Thanks for your reply.
I'm trying to use the form IMM 5002(06-2008) E "in-canada application for permanent resident status", however, there are only 4 category, 1 - spouse of common-law parterner in canada class, 2 - live-in caregiver in canada class
3 permit-holder class
4. family memember 18 years or orlder of the above

looks like none of them applied for my under 3-year dependent kids. Do you have any idear which one I should use? am I usuing the right form?

Thanks again

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

nicen said:
Hello, leon,
Thanks for your reply.
I'm trying to use the form IMM 5002(06-2008) E "in-canada application for permanent resident status", however, there are only 4 category, 1 - spouse of common-law parterner in canada class, 2 - live-in caregiver in canada class
3 permit-holder class
4. family memember 18 years or orlder of the above

looks like none of them applied for my under 3-year dependent kids. Do you have any idear which one I should use? am I usuing the right form?

Thanks again
You sponsor them as out of Canada through Mississauga/Buffalo .http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

PMM

willostj

Star Member
Dec 20, 2006
Hi PMM,
Why would she sponsor as out of canada when the kids are already here? I thought the case sponsorship centre would be Vegreville, AB. Please clarify. thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

willostj said:
Hi PMM,
Why would she sponsor as out of canada when the kids are already here? I thought the case sponsorship centre would be Vegreville, AB. Please clarify. thanks.
Because there is no in-Canada application for kids, except for H.& C. which will take forever.

PMM

willostj

Star Member
Dec 20, 2006
Hi again PMM,
When you are filling out the sponsorship form what address should you put for your baby seeing that it is out of canada sponsorship but the baby is here with you in canada? Is it Ok to put a US address? Will it be queried. Thanks .

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
hI

willostj said:
Hi again PMM,
When you are filling out the sponsorship form what address should you put for your baby seeing that it is out of canada sponsorship but the baby is here with you in canada? Is it Ok to put a US address? Will it be queried. Thanks .
Put your Canadian address as the residential addresses.

PMM

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
nicen said:
Hello,
My husband and I landed Canada in Feb 2006, then we went back to united states for working. During the last 2 years and 11 month in United states, we had two babies (they are citizen of United States). We returned to Canada a few days ago, we would like to apply PR for our kids, had a few questions here:
Yes, you file an outland sponsorship application, sent first to the CPC in Mississauga for sponsorship approval and then they'll transfer it to Buffalo.
nicen said:
I don't think the application paperwork lends itself to two principle applicants so, yes, you'll probably have to file two applications. You might contact someone at the CIC Call Centre about whether or not that means you also have to pay two sponsorship fees and two Right of Permanent Resident fees.
nicen said:
3. I heard about there is no medical examination needed for US citizen, is that true?
No, that is not true - US citizens have to undergo a medical exam, just like anybody else.
nicen said:
As mentioned before, you'll file the application with the Case Processing Center in Mississauga, they will assess the sponsorship (about 45 days) and then transfer the applications to Buffalo. If everything is included and complete - meaning medicals done, etc., - you can expect finalization in 2-6 months.
nicen said:
5. While we are waiting the application result, if the time take more than 6 month, Do the kids need to return back to united States(their passports were stamped for 6 month)?
No, you can apply to extend their status from within Canada by submitting this application to the CPC in Vegreville so that it's received by CIC BEFORE their six months status expires. This is important because it gives them "implied status" to remain in Canada until either a decision is made on the extension, or their PR is approved.

One important note: be absolutely sure that you have complied with all requirements as far as Study Permits, etc., before the children attend school. IF they attend school without authorization, it can make them inadmissible to Canada and CIC will refuse their PR applications. I don't know whether the foreign national children of PRs are allowed to attend school without a SP, but considering the fact that the step-child of a Canadian citizen supposedly can't, I'd assume not and get the SPs anyway. Don't let anyone tell you that you have to go to the border to get one - you can mail the application to the Consulate in Buffalo, they will issue a certificate, and you take that to the border to get their SPs. Do NOT listen when the school board tells you that your children are "special", and that they can be enrolled without a SP because they are the subject of a PR application and, anyway, all minor children are required to attend school, etc. Whether it's true or not, if you listen to them and do what they tell you to, the corrupt bureaucracy that is Immigration Canada will use it against you in a heartbeat.

willostj

Star Member
Dec 20, 2006
Hi Robsluv,
What if the passport was not stamped, how do they detrmine when the child landed? Also if it is not too much trouble could you give me alist of forms that I will need to sponsor an 1year old baby! Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

RobsLuv said:
nicen said:
Hello,
Yes, you file an outland sponsorship application, sent first to the CPC in Mississauga for sponsorship approval and then they'll transfer it to Buffalo.
nicen said:
I don't think the application paperwork lends itself to two principle applicants so, yes, you'll probably have to file two applications. You might contact someone at the CIC Call Centre about whether or not that means you also have to pay two sponsorship fees and two Right of Permanent Resident fees.
nicen said:
No, that is not true - US citizens have to undergo a medical exam, just like anybody else.
nicen said:
As mentioned before, you'll file the application with the Case Processing Center in Mississauga, they will assess the sponsorship (about 45 days) and then transfer the applications to Buffalo. If everything is included and complete - meaning medicals done, etc., - you can expect finalization in 2-6 months.
nicen said:
5. While we are waiting the application result, if the time take more than 6 month, Do the kids need to return back to united States(their passports were stamped for 6 month)?
No, you can apply to extend their status from within Canada by submitting this application to the CPC in Vegreville so that it's received by CIC BEFORE their six months status expires. This is important because it gives them "implied status" to remain in Canada until either a decision is made on the extension, or their PR is approved.

One important note: be absolutely sure that you have complied with all requirements as far as Study Permits, etc., before the children attend school. IF they attend school without authorization, it can make them inadmissible to Canada and CIC will refuse their PR applications. I don't know whether the foreign national children of PRs are allowed to attend school without a SP, but considering the fact that the step-child of a Canadian citizen supposedly can't, I'd assume not and get the SPs anyway. Don't let anyone tell you that you have to go to the border to get one - you can mail the application to the Consulate in Buffalo, they will issue a certificate, and you take that to the border to get their SPs. Do NOT listen when the school board tells you that your children are "special", and that they can be enrolled without a SP because they are the subject of a PR application and, anyway, all minor children are required to attend school, etc. Whether it's true or not, if you listen to them and do what they tell you to, the corrupt bureaucracy that is Immigration Canada will use it against you in a heartbeat.
Note there is no RPRF for minor children. The required forms are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3900E.pdf

PMM

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Oh, thanks PMM - that's good to know about the RPRF! What about the sponsorship fee, would they have to pay one for each application?

Nicen - The outland sponsorship application that I linked to in my reply, and that PMM linked to above, are the forms you need for sponsoring both children.

If their passports were not stamped on entry, it's going to make it more difficult for you to prove when the children first entered Canada for purposes of extending their status. Do you have airline tickets/itinerary - or perhaps stamps in your own passports that you could use, if you can show they accompanied you? This is something that frequently happens to US citizens on entry to Canada - I think they do it on purpose to make it harder for us to apply from within Canada for extension of status.