+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor is PA's unpaid representative. What to do??

Synoptic

Jan 20, 2018
Hello everyone,

I've just sent our application today and the Sydney Processing Centre should receive it by Monday or Tuesday of next week. I am the sponsor by the way, and I had my wife sign the Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] form because I was filling out everything. As I'm looking at the next steps, I read that unpaid representatives cannot link their applications to the online account. I'm now afraid that this will have a negative effect on our own application.

Is it always better to have a linked account rather than email? Should I get my wife (PA) to sign another form to remove me as her representative? Please help!

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
if your wife removes you as a representative.....you won't have her permission to do business on her behalf with IRCC....like after the Sponsor Approval, you may not be able to represent your wife regarding her PR application, and may have limited access to information regarding her PR application.

Unpaid representatives cannot use online accounts.......only authorized paid representative can link application to their own online account......refer.....Spousal Sponsorship Guide.....Communicating with IRCC.

Important: Do not attempt to link your application to your personal online account if you have appointed a representative. If you have appointed a representative and attempt to link your application to your own online account, you will have to cancel your representative before you can link.

Although, if your provided an email address, IRCC will send you some notifications by email.....linking your application to online account has the benefit of getting detailed application status and your mail online and see the most up-to-date information about your application.

Linking your application to online account has not effect on the approval of your sponsorship application......your sponsorship application will be approved based on the proof and genuineness of your marriage/relationship.

Will advice that you link your application to online account and don't just rely on emails.....emails are not fully guaranteed but messages from IRCC will always be sent to your online account.

Reactions: Synoptic

Synoptic

Jan 20, 2018
if your wife removes you as a representative.....you won't have her permission to do business on her behalf with IRCC....like after the Sponsor Approval, you may not be able to represent your wife regarding her PR application, and may have limited access to information regarding her PR application.

Unpaid representatives cannot use online accounts.......only authorized paid representative can link application to their own online account......refer.....Spousal Sponsorship Guide.....Communicating with IRCC.

Important: Do not attempt to link your application to your personal online account if you have appointed a representative. If you have appointed a representative and attempt to link your application to your own online account, you will have to cancel your representative before you can link.

Although, if your provided an email address, IRCC will send you some notifications by email.....linking your application to online account has the benefit of getting detailed application status and your mail online and see the most up-to-date information about your application.

Linking your application to online account has not effect on the approval of your sponsorship application......your sponsorship application will be approved based on the proof and genuineness of your marriage/relationship.

Will advice that you link your application to online account and don't just rely on emails.....emails are not fully guaranteed but messages from IRCC will always be sent to your online account.

Thank you for the detailed response! Since you're advising that we link our application to the online account and we're not able to do so if I (sponsor) stay as her (PA) representative, we should just cancel her appointment of me being her representative. Is that correct?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017

As an unpaid representative you cannot use online account....so if you decide to link the application to online account, you may have to cancel your representative before you can link.

ghanta

Feb 13, 2017
Hi synoptic, I am exactly in your situation. Just received an email from cic :

Just for the information. I became PR this year January. I send my spousal application to Sydney but this email is from Mississauga (system generated anyways). I am the sponsor & representative for the application. I tried to link the application online today without success. I tried to link it to my account (sponsor). Please share any information you have about linking application online. I am a bit confused with the reply of waking.

Thank you in advance

UCI: ******** same uci number of sponsor
Application No.: F**********
Quote these numbers when corresponding with our office.

This is an automated message. Please DO NOT RESPOND to this message.

Dear ********* sponsor name

This confirms that your application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class has been received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on 2018/09/28 on behalf of the following member(s):

Principal applicant Name

When should I contact CIC?
You must notify CIC of any changes to your application. Examples of changes include:
• Changes in your personal circumstances, such as birth or adoption of a child, a marriage or a divorce
• Change of contact information (e-mail, mailing address, telephone number)
• Appointment or change of immigration representative or designated individual
• Decision to withdraw your application

To notify CIC of changes to your application you may contact this office at the address identified below. You may also contact the Call Centre, toll-free, at 1-888-242-2100. Changes to your address may be made through our online service at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/change-address.asp.

What happens next?
For further information about the sponsorship process, please refer to CIC’s website at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp.

You have the option to withdraw your application at any point in the process. You may be eligible for a refund of the sponsorship fee or the permanent resident application fee if processing of your file has not yet begun.

How do I check the status of my application?
You may use the UCI number above to check the status of your application on the CIC website. Please visit www.cic.gc.ca/english and in the “I Need To ...” section on the right-hand side of the page, select “Check application status.”

How long will it take to process my application?
Processing times vary. You can consult the processing times for reference at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/

Please be advised that CIC will contact you as soon as your application is reviewed. We trust that this information concerning your Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class is helpful.

CPC Mississauga
Mississauga, ON
L5A 4H4

www.cic.gc.ca

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

This is an automated message. Please DO NOT RESPOND to this message.

By providing your e-mail address on your application form, you authorized CIC to transmit your file and personal information to this specific e-mail address. Please ensure that this e-mail address is checked regularly. Any e-mails sent to you by CIC will end in “@cic.gc.ca” or “@international.gc.ca.” Please add these to your “safe senders” list in your email program and check the junk mail folder in case important emails get filtered. If CIC is advised that the e-mail address you provided is not functional or no longer exists, we will communicate with you by mail.

Like other forms of communication, e-mail communications may be vulnerable to interception by unauthorized parties. If you do not wish us to communicate with you by e-mail, please notify us at your earliest convenience. In the absence of such notification, your consent is assumed. Should you choose to allow us to communicate by e-mail, we will not take any additional security measures (such as encryption).

The contents of this message may contain confidential and/or privileged subject matter. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If this message has been received in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.

ghanta

Feb 13, 2017
Good evening,

I was able to link my PA application online. All i did was creating a new cic account ( using the same email id i used for my pr & the email i provided as a representative ) and typed in all the information of PA. I am also unpaid representative of PA. Hope everything goes well & soon. Thanks for the information Wakki.

PanizF

Feb 5, 2021
Good evening,

I was able to link my PA application online. All i did was creating a new cic account ( using the same email id i used for my pr & the email i provided as a representative ) and typed in all the information of PA. I am also unpaid representative of PA. Hope everything goes well & soon. Thanks for the information Wakki.
Hi, I am unpaid representative of my husband and I successfully link our application to my account same as you, I want to know if it will make any problem for me? Because it is written in cic that unpaid representative can not link the application, I afraid that we won't receive updates because of it, can you tell me your experience ?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi, I am unpaid representative of my husband and I successfully link our application to my account same as you, I want to know if it will make any problem for me? Because it is written in cic that unpaid representative can not link the application, I afraid that we won't receive updates because of it, can you tell me your experience ?
It's fine, you will receive the updates even though it's linked to your account, that's how we did ours. Maybe what you are confusing is that an app can only be linked to one GCkey account at a time, it doesn't matter which account but only can be linked to one.

Reactions: PanizF

PanizF

Feb 5, 2021
It's fine, you will receive the updates even though it's linked to your account, that's how we did ours. Maybe what you are confusing is that an app can only be linked to one GCkey account at a time, it doesn't matter which account but only can be linked to one.
Thanks for your reply, after I linked it to my own account instead of his account, I have not got any updates and I am overthinking about that. I hope I will get more updates soon.

Reactions: Canada2020eh