+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor Eligibility Assessment Question - living outside Canada

lunacie

Jan 4, 2016
Hi - my wife, a born Canadian citizen, is sponsoring me (husband of 9+ years) for immigration to B.C. We currently live in NYC together, she was filling out her Sponsor Eligibility form, and came across the following:

>> If you answer "No" to any questions from 1 to 4, you are not eligible to be a sponsor. You should NOT submit your application.

4) Do you reside in Canada and in no other country? If you answered "NO" but are a Canadian citizen living exclusively outside Canada, you may still be eligible to sponsor. <<

Huh? So, what's the actual deal here? How is a long-time married couple living outside Canada supposed to return home? Not only does the form contradict itself within a single paragraph, but it doesn't specify, in any way, what a couple currently living together abroad is supposed to do.

Any help / clarification would be hugely appreciated.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
as it states, if she is a canadian citizen and lives outside of canada, she is still eligible to sponsor. i would think there are other questions below that question to confirm that? how it works is that if a sponsor is a PR, they CAN NOT sponsor a spouse while living in another country. Canadian citizens CAN sponsor spouses while living in another country. that is the distinquishing factor. they are probably using the term "may not" so as to not suggest the sponsor is eligible until the application is reviewed and processed.

The most important factor for your application (beside relationship proof) is to provide a clear plan of how you and your wife plan to settle in canada immediately upon approval. this can include a letter explaining your plan, copies of research done on jobs/industries/cities/housing and/or letters of support from family willing to help until you get on your feet. if you are not ready to move to canada immediately upon approval, then more than likely the application will be rejected and you will be told to apply again when you're ready to move.

ImABule

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 25, 2016
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
March 24, 2016 AOR2 April 15, 2016
File Transfer...
SA April 5, 2016
Med's Done....
February 02, 2016
Interview........
Queue- August 29, 2016 Waived- November 15, 2016
Passport Req..
November 17, 2016 DM- November 18, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 29, 2016
LANDED..........
December 19, 2016
lunacie said:
Hi - my wife, a born Canadian citizen, is sponsoring me (husband of 9+ years) for immigration to B.C. We currently live in NYC together, she was filling out her Sponsor Eligibility form, and came across the following:

>> If you answer "No" to any questions from 1 to 4, you are not eligible to be a sponsor. You should NOT submit your application.

4) Do you reside in Canada and in no other country? If you answered "NO" but are a Canadian citizen living exclusively outside Canada, you may still be eligible to sponsor. <<

Huh? So, what's the actual deal here? How is a long-time married couple living outside Canada supposed to return home? Not only does the form contradict itself within a single paragraph, but it doesn't specify, in any way, what a couple currently living together abroad is supposed to do.

Any help / clarification would be hugely appreciated.
A PR of Canada must live exclusively in Canada during the process. A citizen is not required to live in Canada but the citizen who lives outside of Canada and sponsors his/her spouse must prove the intention to return and reside in Canada with their sponsored spouse upon the sponsored spouse receiving their PR status. A rental agreement in Canada, buying/owning a house in Canada, a job offer in Canada, and even a letter from family in Canada offering a place to stay and financial support until you settle in Canada are all good examples of such proof.

hmt411

Feb 20, 2017
ImABule said:
A PR of Canada must live exclusively in Canada during the process. A citizen is not required to live in Canada but the citizen who lives outside of Canada and sponsors his/her spouse must prove the intention to return and reside in Canada with their sponsored spouse upon the sponsored spouse receiving their PR status. A rental agreement in Canada, buying/owning a house in Canada, a job offer in Canada, and even a letter from family in Canada offering a place to stay and financial support until you settle in Canada are all good examples of such proof.
I have been searching around the internet for a case like mine. I have a similar case with other people who are concerned about this "living exclusively outside Canada" thing, but not quite the same.

My wife is a Canadian (naturalized outside Canada a long time ago). According to everything that we have read, she is still eligible to sponsor me to become a PR. But what's confusing is the "living exclusively outside Canada" part.

She and I are currently living together outside Canada (as residents, not on any kind of VISA). We initially plan to do this PR application from outside Canada (outland), but then we changed our mind and decided that we will sell everything here and move our lives to Canada, and apply for my PR under the Spousal Sponsorship class from WITHIN Canada.. about 1 or 2 months after we arrive. Our toddler and I will come to Canada with a tourist visa and she'll come with her Canadian passport as a Canadian.

Is she considered "living exclusively outside Canada"? She still have an active bank account from around 10 years ago. Still have money in that bank. But she has no other record there, no tax, no work experience there, no school there, no ID, just a bank account, a physical address using her friend's address in Canada, and of course a citizenship card, SIN card, and a Canadian passport.

As far as convincing the Immigration officers that we intend to live there shouldn't be a problem.. especially because we will apply after we arrive in Canada.

So can anyone shed some light on our case? We're thinking that we should answer NO (not living exclusively outside Canada) since we will be there and she will apply for an ID card and driving license once there. But she can't provide any tax record and her employment record will show that she has never worked in Canada.

Thank you in advance guys.