+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor brother

Graykoala

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
Hi All,

Sorry if it has been asked before. Could someone please lead me to the relevant information or weblinks.

I am a new (2019) PR of Canada. I am single and I have no intentions of getting married. My parents are deceased. I have a brother (35 years old), who is married and has one kid. I was wondering if i can sponsor them for a long term visa or for PR if possible.

I am aware that i will have to show some minimum income in order to sponsor them. Please let me know if I have missed to provide any information about my question.

Thank You!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

Sorry if it has been asked before. Could someone please lead me to the relevant information or weblinks.

I am a new (2019) PR of Canada. I am single and I have no intentions of getting married. My parents are deceased. I have a brother (35 years old), who is married and has one kid. I was wondering if i can sponsor them for a long term temporary visa or for PR if possible.

I am aware that i will have to show some minimum income in order to sponsor them. Please let me know if I have missed to provide any information about my question.

Thank You!!!
If you have no other family in Canada (e.g. uncle, aunt, etc.) and have no children - then yes, you can sponsor your brother.

Reactions: Graykoala

Graykoala

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
If you have no other family in Canada (e.g. uncle, aunt, etc.) and have no children - then yes, you can sponsor your brother.
Thank You for your reply Scylla!

Yes, I have no other close family members (uncle, Aunt or any children) in Canada. I have a few cousins living in Canada though.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thank You for your reply Scylla!

Yes, I have no other close family members (uncle, Aunt or any children) in Canada. I have a few cousins living in Canada though.
Cousins are not going to pose a problem. They are not considered as immediate family.

tango47

Star Member
Feb 2, 2018
Hi All,

I am a new (2019) PR of Canada. I am single and I have no intentions of getting married. My parents are deceased. I have a brother (35 years old), who is married and has one kid. I was wondering if i can sponsor them for a long term visa or for PR if possible.

Thank You!!!
This is right off the IRCC website:
"Some Canadian citizens and permanent residents may be eligible to sponsor a relative that does not fall into the age or relationship categories described above, but only if the Canadian sponsor does not have a spouse or common law partner, or other relatives who could be sponsored, and only if the Canadian sponsor does not have any Canadian relatives. Note that siblings over 18 years of age and adult, independent children cannot be sponsored under any circumstances."
It seems that if your brother is 35 , you're out of luck.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
This is right off the IRCC website:
"Some Canadian citizens and permanent residents may be eligible to sponsor a relative that does not fall into the age or relationship categories described above, but only if the Canadian sponsor does not have a spouse or common law partner, or other relatives who could be sponsored, and only if the Canadian sponsor does not have any Canadian relatives. Note that siblings over 18 years of age and adult, independent children cannot be sponsored under any circumstances."
It seems that if your brother is 35 , you're out of luck.
Where is the link to the text you quoted?
The only place I can find it is at https://www.immigrationdirect.ca/canada-permanent-resident-family-sponsorship.jsp which is not an IRCC website.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/other-relatives/who-you-can-sponsor.html

Other relative
You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age, if you meet all of these conditions:
  • you (the person who wants to sponsor your relative) don't have a living relative you could sponsor instead, such as a:
    • spouse
    • common-law partner
    • conjugal partner
    • son or daughter
    • parent
    • grandparent
    • orphaned brother or sister
    • orphaned nephew or niece
    • orphaned grandchild
  • you (the potential sponsor) don’t have any relatives (aunt or uncle or any of the relatives listed above), who is a:
    • Canadian citizen
    • permanent resident
    • registered Indian under the Indian Act
If the relative you want to sponsor has a spouse, partner, or dependent children who will come with them to Canada, you must include them on the same sponsorship application.

Last edited:

Graykoala

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
Where is the link to the text you quoted?

Thanks for this info Zardoz, Yeah i found it a bit confusing. However, I have heard about lonely Canadian thing and i think I can call myself a lonely Canadian, Which mean I can sponsor one person including his/her family. So it doesn't matter if that person is over the age of 18 or have a family of his/her own. Could you please advise if i am correct?

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks for this info Zardoz, Yeah i found it a bit confusing. However, I have heard about lonely Canadian thing and i think I can call myself a lonely Canadian, Which mean I can sponsor one person including his/her family. So it doesn't matter if that person is over the age of 18 or have a family of his/her own. Could you please advise if i am correct?
You are correct.

tamarindball

Sep 10, 2012
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kingston
App. Filed.......
November 30, 2012
AOR Received.
December 11, 2012
File Transfer...
January 9, 2013
Med's Done....
November 13, 2012
I am a bit confused. If I am a lonely person I can sponsor for example my niece over 18 but not my brother over 18.? Could someone explain how logical that is, if correct.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I am a bit confused. If I am a lonely person I can sponsor for example my niece over 18 but not my brother over 18.? Could someone explain how logical that is, if correct.
If you are eligible for the "lonely Canadian" scheme, you can sponsor any relative that you would not otherwise be entitled to sponsor. That includes a neice or adult brother.