+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor Approval Letter sent to incorrect address

Lucy M

Oct 15, 2014
I logged onto CIC today to check our application status for PR. It says a decision has been made on Sponsor Approval, and that correspondence was sent to us on 20th July.

We have not yet received anything in the post, and neither have we had any email. (We also checked junk mail.)
I thought CIC communicated through email? They have thus far, but not with this decision.

Our concern is that CIC sent the letter regarding Sponsor Approval to our old address.
We believe this is a strong possibility as less than two weeks ago was the first time we were able to log onto CIC to check the status of the application, as only then had it begun being processed.
When logging on, we noticed immediately that they had our old, incorrect address listed as our current home and mailing address.
We changed the address right away to our current one, but it said it could take up to 14 days for the change to be effective.
Only today have we noticed that our address has been updated online and is now correct.
It's very annoying that CIC made this error and even had our old address as our current address in the first place. How does that happen?

My questions are:
1. If post was sent to us from CIC to the wrong address, would it be returned to CIC? (We previously lived in a large apartment building, and post to previous tenants tends to be returned to the post office quickly.)
2. If post is returned to CIC, what would happen? Presumably it would take forever for them to even open it and realise what happened?
3. Are they supposed to email with confirmation of Sponsor Approval?
4. If we don't physically get a letter or email but Sponsor Approval has been granted to my husband then presumably the application will proceed and they will begin to assess me for PR?

Thanks for any input. Am on hold to CIC now... :)

Lucy M

Oct 15, 2014
Spoke to CIC (surprisingly quick to get to speak to someone!)
Apparently when they say the letter has been 'sent' is doesn't actually mean its been sent, it just means the approval letter has been generated and is waiting in their outgoing mail, and can take up to four weeks to get here. Luckily they have the correct address. Great news that we have approval! They also said they don't send emails for Sponsor Approval.
They also told me my application has been sent to the London office, which we're a bit disappointed about as we had heard that many outland applications were being held in Mississauga for processing, if straight forward. Ours could not be more straight forward so we were really hoping it would be quickly processed here in Canada and are a bit gutted to hear it's gone to London as those wait times are insane!
But at least things are moving forward.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Lucy M said:
They also said they don't send emails for Sponsor Approval.

Ours could not be more straight forward so we were really hoping it would be quickly processed here in Canada and are a bit gutted to hear it's gone to London as those wait times are insane!
Lol, they usually only email for Sponsor Approval. Ah, the Call Centre misinformation.

London is averaging around a year, which is most definitely not an insane wait time. As per the London spreadsheet, the last apps held in Mississauga were received in March. Some apps are still going to Ottawa but it seems most apps are once again going to London.